News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Pat1973charger on February 12, 2016, 12:59:21 AM
Looks good Don! I wish I had a solid grille support lol......baldwinvette  ;)

huh?...... OH CRAP!

green69rt

Quote from: mopar4don on February 16, 2016, 07:44:14 AM
Quote from: green69rt on February 15, 2016, 11:20:13 PM
Quote from: mopar4don on February 15, 2016, 10:23:52 PM
notice all the tape (even the yellow tape on the driver side front frame rail), this was to cover the holes so the coating would not run out

I did the same thing.  I also sprayed it inside the folds of the trunk lid, hood and the bottom of the doors.  But, I didn't think about the A pillars.  All places you can't really clean up very well, sometimes you can't even see what's in there!  And, yes, that stuff is runny and you can't keep it from seeping out any little hole but I guess that's what makes it a good sealant.

It does clean up with Lacquer thinner, maybe even mineral spirits if it hasn't cured.
You say you sprayed it inside the trunk lid and hood. Hmmm :scratchchin:
It's kinda weird you mentioned that as I was just looking at my trunk lid, and wondering what to do about all the rust inside. When I roll the trunk around, I get a lot of rust falling out. (I was thinking about seperating the inner from the outer) But I think spraying that inside should help a lot!
Thanks Green

On the trunk, I just sprayed a lot till I could see a small puddle then moved the lid around to let the liquid run down into all the corners.  It dries quick so you have to be quicker.  Hood was just sprayed as well as I could.  Too big to move around much besides it's a new AMD hood so no rust yet.  The edges are where the seams are so maybe it'll help.   :shruggy:

mopar4don

I got my front suspension parts back from the powder coater and WOW! I am impressed!
They really did a nice job!
The parts I powder coated are the k-frame, strut bars, sway bar, and boxed LCA's.
My upper control arms were toast so I purchased a set from a fellow DC.com member. They were already painted, and had the ball joints and bushings installed. I also upgraded to the .960 mopar preformance torsion bars. So these two items were not powder coated  :'(

mopar4don

more....

keepat

Great job grinding down and finishing the weld on your K member! All the reinforcement look original!
Pat

mopar4don

Quote from: keepat on February 27, 2016, 08:49:00 PM
Great job grinding down and finishing the weld on your K member! All the reinforcement look original!
Pat
Thanks Pat, I'm kinda glad someone noticed, as I spent a LOT of time grinding the welds smooth! Not to mention my dremel died because of it. :shruggy:

charger chris

Nice job. I am watching you to see how rocker and floor and some thing go together  :2thumbs:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

mopar4don

Quote from: charger chris on February 27, 2016, 09:05:37 PM
Nice job. I am watching you to see how rocker and floor and some thing go together  :2thumbs:
Waiting on the weather to get warmer, as I have to have the overhead door open to get around the back side of the car.
Until then I have plenty of other thing to restore.

charger chris

Oh I under stand that lol. You did job on that tail panel to. I tryed to get that off Dave. I found up north of me. :woohoo: :woohoo:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

mopar4don

I have been a little worried about flash rust forming on the firewall repair so I finally got that area primed!

1st I had to build a temporary spray booth

mopar4don

more

keepat

Your conversion to a non-AC firewall looks great, nice job!!
Pat

VegasCharger

gers1968rt

I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

mopar4don

Thanks everyone.
I sure would like it to go faster.......... :brickwall:

Pat1973charger

Quote from: mopar4don on April 05, 2016, 03:31:06 PM
Thanks everyone.

We all would Don but from way I see you have done more to your car in three years than most do in ten. Keep after it and someday in the not so distant future you'll be remembering the work while driving that cool car!

mopar4don

Quote from: Pat1973charger on April 05, 2016, 07:20:34 PM
Quote from: mopar4don on April 05, 2016, 03:31:06 PM
Thanks everyone.

We all would Don but from way I see you have done more to your car in three years than most do in ten. Keep after it and someday in the not so distant future you'll be remembering the work while driving that cool car!
Thanks for the encouragement Pat

Pat1973charger

Your welcome Don, as you know I am in the same boat so I know how it can help. At least your over the jump of fighting the rust, that's a big hurtle to overcome.

mopar4don

Quote from: Pat1973charger on April 06, 2016, 09:44:29 AM
Your welcome Don, as you know I am in the same boat so I know how it can help. At least your over the jump of fighting the rust, that's a big hurtle to overcome.
You are right about that!
I remember it felt real good when I didnt have to look at crusty rusty panels. :yesnod:

mopar4don

Here are some pictures of my heater box resto
I started out with 2 boxes, I will pick and choose the better parts and will end up with one.

mopar4don

Disassembly is pretty easy (just take lots of pics to refer to if need be)
And yes, it nasty if you had mice!

mopar4don

I had to do a little fiberglass repair in a couple of spots.
Sorry I didn't do a very good job of getting "in progress" pictures

mopar4don

I bought the kit from DMT Detroit Muscle Technology

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr