News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cncguy

Can't imagine needing that much tire on a street car.

mopar4don

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I will have a bit of researching to do when I get that far.

cdr

Quote from: Cncguy on June 29, 2015, 10:22:27 AM
Can't imagine needing that much tire on a street car.

I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cbrestorations

very dedicated build here, you are doing a great job, she will be ur pirzed possession once completed

Pat1973charger

Don, I couldn't get te skin I break free at the A pillers and I mangled it a little at the corner. It had a little rust near the seam at the quarter by the drip rail anyway but I was going to patch that. Not sure now what I'll do. Try to repair or replace. I like the dehump idea. Not sure of I will need it as  I plan on running magnum 500s at this time.

Stevearino

Always amazing your attention to detail and your determination not to rush things and cover all the bases. :yesnod:

tomonty

Hi Don,

As everyone has already stated, amazing work.  :2thumbs:

I am in a similar boat as you in that I have an extremely rusty Charger and I would like to put it on a jig like you built. Do you have a materials list or anything for what is needed to build it? And secondly, how did you get the car up on the jig?

You're thread is an inspiration for me anytime I look at my car and think 'what have I gotten myself into?'  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks.

Mike
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

mopar4don

Quote from: tomonty on July 04, 2015, 08:41:27 AM
Hi Don,

As everyone has already stated, amazing work.  :2thumbs:

I am in a similar boat as you in that I have an extremely rusty Charger and I would like to put it on a jig like you built. Do you have a materials list or anything for what is needed to build it? And secondly, how did you get the car up on the jig?

You're thread is an inspiration for me anytime I look at my car and think 'what have I gotten myself into?'  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike, 
The jig was originally a 4'x8' table that I picked up at the local scrap yard. It was cut in half horizontally then put end to end to give me 4'x16'
It's made from 2x2 tubing with ΒΌ wall. And has a jack at every leg.

Getting the car on the jig was a little tricky but ended up working well.
What I did was I had the car on jack stands with the jig positioned behind the car.

I lifted the rear of the car with a floor jack and a length of 3 inch sq tubing mounted under the frame rail. (floor jack was in the center of the car)
I removed the 2 rear floor jacks and rolled the jig in under the car as far as I could. I then lowered the car back down onto the floor jacks, and would then repeat the process at the front of the car with another length of 3 inch tubing catching the torsion bar crossmember.

I repeated this process at the front or rear, until the jig was under the car.
It was a little nerve racking but I was careful, and went slow.

Good luck. maybe try using a cherry picker if you can.

tomonty

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Pat1973charger

The cherry picker is a good idea, saw some guys using chain falls on one end to their rafters and cherry picker on the other end. The easy way is how i did it, put car on my hoist pulled the k frame and rear end. Rolled the jig under and lowerd the car onto it .

Stevearino

If your ceiling structure will take it these chain hoists worked pretty good for my project. You just have to rig some lifting brackets.

mopar4don

Ok, now for some of the ugly.

I diced the wheel well up pretty good and started the long process to weld it up.
The gaps were so large I had to use a copper spoon on the back side

mopar4don

I did not get a lot of pictures, but at this point I was getting so many welding blow outs, it was driving me crazy! :brickwall:

mopar4don

What you cant see in the pics is that nothing was smooth. What I wanted was a nice smooth transition. I wanted it to look like it came from the factory. Thats not what I had...... so I decided I would remove the wavy welded up mess, and patch in a new piece.

mopar4don

more

mopar4don

I like the looks of this!
Overall it looks much better than all that slicing welded up mess!

green69rt

You must have about 200 vise grips!!!!  I'm jealous, I only have about 80.

mopar4don

Quote from: green69rt on July 08, 2015, 10:38:19 PM
Yeah and I need another 200 for when I put together the back half of the car!

Stevearino

Looks like the right choice putting in the one piece patch. That will save time on the other side now. :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: mopar4don on July 09, 2015, 05:10:47 AM

Self tapping screws are your friends.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cncguy

Quote from: Dino on July 09, 2015, 09:00:11 AM
Quote from: mopar4don on July 09, 2015, 05:10:47 AM

Self tapping screws are your friends.   :icon_smile_big:

And Clecos

mopar4don

I'm not real happy with the front side of this, but for now I want to go to the other side and maybe try something a bit different.....

mopar4don

Here are some good before pics showing the stock wheel house and the crease that will go away

mopar4don

Ok this time I started slicing along the crease
Then I hammered out flatening the crease which closing the gap.
NOTICE the white marks. this is what happens when you hammer on that PPG shopline epoxy paint.
I am really impressed how tough this stuff is! it DOES NOT chip crack peel or scratch after wailing on it with a hammer! I don't know if all epoxy primer can take this abuse but I feel pretty good about protection from stone chips on the bottom side of the car!

mopar4don

Worked my way up (LOTS of hammering)