News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Well, if you have a big imagination!!! 

Well done!!!

fy469rtse

You must have a big imagination Mitch, yours wasn't far off this one
Looking good Don,
Turning point , looking like a cars unibody again,
The worst is behind you , keep going , all new metal from this point ,

Stevearino

The rest is going to feel like a cake walk Don. :cheers:

oldgold69

don when you put that cross member  in can you take photos of how the  frame rails attach to it  and what is suppose to attach to the end of it  [trunk floor extensions ? ]  that is the part I have to put in next in spring when my garage gets above zero  I have to put in trunk floor extensions too     thank you

mopar4don

Quote from: oldgold69 on January 08, 2015, 05:55:14 PM
don when you put that cross member  in can you take photos of how the  frame rails attach to it  and what is suppose to attach to the end of it  [trunk floor extensions ? ]  that is the part I have to put in next in spring when my garage gets above zero  I have to put in trunk floor extensions too     thank you

Hi oldgold69,
I am no expert but here is how I did it. (if I did this wrong please correct me)
The crossmember has a lip on the bottom side, that lip will go up against the bottom of the frame rail. Also the oblong holes should line up.
Here are some pics from the front side... hope they help

I believe that the rear valance corners will some how attach to the ends of the cross member but I am not that far yet. Maybe someone else can answer this question?

green69rt

IIRC (according to CDR) the valance corners attach to the quarters first then the ends of the cross member are bent to line up with the valance corner flange.  :shruggy:

oldgold69

thank you for the photos they are what I am looking for  I am worried  I will not have it centered  I bought the Sherman made part back before adm  made the part    is there a difference between the two manufacturers  wasn't there something like the gas tank strap mount hole  you had to add the old brace behind it on the Sherman  I know I saved them for some reason

tsmithae

The trunk extensions attach to the end of the rear crossmember.  Make sure that you test fit your quarter and reflectors/side markers first!  My extensions had t be massaged with a precision instrument know as the BFH to get them to sit flat and clear the side markers.  I hadn't yet started the massaging process or welded them yet in this pic but it gives you an idea.  

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

oldgold69

thank you gentle men for the photos I took that part off years ago and I forgot how it went back together it was nothing but rust when I took it apart came out in pieces  I didnt have to drill the spot weld out just grind it flush to the frame rail  there was no coating on that part

500Jon

Hi Don,

I've done a few of them suckers and they are a nightmare!
Then you've got the corner caps!!!

I've found another Charger that needs some TLC too!

Don't leave your Charger in a POND!!! :slap:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

oldgold69

500 jon         quick put 01 and a flag on it and say it was a jump car from the dukes movie worth a least a hundred grand  :nana:

mopar4don

WOW it's been a month since I posted.
Let me get you up to date

Got the rear window corners welded in.

mopar4don

Got the rear crossmember welded in...

mopar4don

Did some digging through my pile of sheet metal parts to find the different brackets and small parts to get ready for the blaster.
First I found the bucket seat brackets on the old floor pan

mopar4don

I made some notes on how they align
(hole in the bracket aligns to the hole in the floor pan)
and compared them to my floor pan

mopar4don

NOTICE that this floor pan does not have holes for the bucket seat brackets!
Makes sense cause this floor pan came out of a 4 door coronet (bench seat)

mopar4don

But notice the dimples in the floor pan.
They match perfectly to the holes in the brackets, so when its time those dimples will get drilled out.

mopar4don

Found the e-brake bracket.....

mopar4don

and one of the gas tank brackets,
the other gas tank bracket should be where the hole is in the pic....

mopar4don

FOUND IT!
it was mounted directly beneath the spare tire bracket

more to come..............

Pat1973charger

fy469rtse

mopar4don

Next thing on the list is the grill support.

mopar4don

The headlight buckets need some attention.
Notice the the ends have broken studs, and one of them is twisted

mopar4don

I untwisted the tab as best I could, and got it kinda close. :-\