News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I used a sharpie as a guide coat. (I really need to remember to get the real stuff)

mopar4don

So here there are all finished, with a little self etching primer applied.

Wow I am tired just remembering all of the work put into those!

fy469rtse

: :popcrn: :popcrn: excellent work ,Don
When this car is finished , no one will believe you pulled it apart so far, even with photos ,
Either that or we will be seeing you during visiting hours at the sanitarium , I will bring flowers  :lol:
It's going to be stronger because of all the extra welding and won't rust because of all the coating where the factory never did

mopar4don

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 28, 2014, 10:35:45 PM
: :popcrn: :popcrn: excellent work ,Don
When this car is finished , no one will believe you pulled it apart so far, even with photos ,
Either that or we will be seeing you during visiting hours at the sanitarium , I will bring flowers  :lol:
It's going to be stronger because of all the extra welding and won't rust because of all the coating where the factory never did

Thanks fy469rtse
Sanitarium..... good one!
Yeah, I'll be the one in the corner that drools :drool5:
and I'll be tearing apart everyones toy cars and rebuilding them! (cause you know everyone gets a toy car when they go to the sanitarium!) lol

fy469rtse

Time to clamp front wiper panel in place , sorry can't think of the name of it , blond moment,!
And test your windscreen fits

six-tee-nine

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mopar4don

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 29, 2014, 04:37:48 AM
Time to clamp front wiper panel in place , sorry can't think of the name of it , blond moment,!
And test your windscreen fits
Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 29, 2014, 06:35:47 AM
Cowl panel  :slap:  :cheers:

Good idea guys. Thank you

fy469rtse

Thanks
Got it cowl panel, you would think that I would know every panel off by heart ,
Replaced enough  :brickwall:

hemi-hampton

Nice job, I hope your keeping track of yours hours so you can add them up when your done. Will it be 5,000 hours or 10,000 hours :scratchchin:

six-tee-nine

Well thats the joy of doing the job yourself : 1 hour costs $ 00.0

I would not even dare to count my hours already and I'm not even in the paint stage.

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Stevearino

I find it satisfying to count the hours when you are doing a job as extensive as Don is doing here because you realize the value of your skill. At the end you will have something that only very rich people who can afford to pay top shops at $100.00 plus per hour can have. And it is all due to your skills. Don I like that you spent all of that time filing the bottom side of the "A" pillars where it will never be seen. That is the best example of a top craftsman's motto " Do every job as if it would be seen." :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Stevearino on December 30, 2014, 06:46:54 PM
I find it satisfying to count the hours when you are doing a job as extensive as Don is doing here because you realize the value of your skill. At the end you will have something that only very rich people who can afford to pay top shops at $100.00 plus per hour can have. And it is all due to your skills. Don I like that you spent all of that time filing the bottom side of the "A" pillars where it will never be seen. That is the best example of a top craftsman's motto " Do every job as if it would be seen." :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I like that idea, makes me think my skills are valuable. Everyone Always says you need to buy a car already restored because of the money you dump into it. But if you want to buy a car lfully restored the right way, like Don is doing, you need to have deep pockets wich I dont.
In the end I'll lose money in my car, I know, but thanks to our skills we can own that rich mans toy without being rich, So guys in this time of peace kudos to our skills, happy 2015!

mopar4don

Quote from: Stevearino on December 30, 2014, 06:46:54 PM

Stevearino,
Thank you, I am truly humbled by your kind remarks!

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 31, 2014, 03:33:51 AM
I like that idea, makes me think my skills are valuable. Everyone Always says you need to buy a car already restored because of the money you dump into it. But if you want to buy a car lfully restored the right way, like Don is doing, you need to have deep pockets wich I dont.
In the end I'll lose money in my car, I know, but thanks to our skills we can own that rich mans toy without being rich, So guys in this time of peace kudos to our skills, happy 2015!

six-tee-nine,
I don't have deep pockets either, but I try to do everything the right way. But I am still learning.

bricklayer

I read your first post in this thread
You said you have never restored a car before?
I call BS......
You my mopar brother are every bit of a PROFESSIONAL
Very nice work.
PS do you live anywhere close to me I need help like that
:popcrn: :cheers:
Tom

mopar4don

Quote from: bricklayer on January 03, 2015, 08:45:30 PM
I read your first post in this thread
You said you have never restored a car before?
I call BS......
You my mopar brother are every bit of a PROFESSIONAL
Very nice work.
PS do you live anywhere close to me I need help like that
:popcrn: :cheers:
Tom
Thanks bricklayer.....

mopar4don

Found a few more parts over the last few months  :yesnod:

Cncguy

Looking good! Something about the Dutchman panel looks a bit tweaked. Could be the photo though.

mopar4don

Your right, it does look that way. But it must be the lighting.  :scratchchin:

tsmithae

Looking forward to more progress!  Be prepared to cut up the new dutchman panel and be sure to test fit your trim corners.   :Two cents:

:popcrn:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

fy469rtse

X2 Don , just check Dutchman panel is exactely the same width as old one , usually not,
And time to takel out stainless rear window moulds,
Make the cnrs fit these , not the other way around

mopar4don

Thanks tsmithae and fy469rtse, I will remember to do this.

Had to patch a couple of spots on the rear frame rails

mopar4don

then I mocked up the rear crosmember

mopar4don

I also mocked up the wheel houses and inner rocker.
Kinda looks like a car  :yesnod:

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0