News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Air Conditioning wing help for a 73 Charger (no diagrams match my car)

Started by nge, September 02, 2013, 05:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nge

Hi everyone,
I'm installing a new A/C system in may 1973 Charger.  My ar came with A/C but the previous owner removed everything but the controls and the evaporator.
My last remaining problem is the wiring.  I'm looking for the blue wire the powers the A/C clutch (via the saftey switches first).

I have found some very good diagrams from Nacho74 and I have the 73 repair manuals but nothing matches my firewall plug wiring.  The order of the wires is different and I even have some colors that are not in the reapair manual diagram (orange for example) One diagram in section 8-24 says its dark blue and position 20, Section 24-56 says its dark blue and comes through the firewal at seperate groment. Natcho's diagram looks  a blue wire at to be pin postion 3. My ClassicCarWiriing.com diagram shows it at pin 4.

So I just need to find the blue wire....seems simple, but all the other colors and pin postions dont matchthe books either.The plug is behind the engine and hard to see... & i dont want to start blindly pulling on 30 year old wires to find the blue one. 

Its a 73 Charger SE, wires are stock, does anyone have pictures onf the undehood side on the harness?  Can anyone explain why my plug set-up  seems to be different?  Can I just run my own "blue "wire from the control swtich through the firewall and on to the AC saftery switches?
Very Respectfully
Vic

ODZKing

Vic, I hope this does not confuse you further.
As I mentioed in my e-mail, the heater-A/C motor is 4 (dkgr) and the compressor or they call it clutch is dkbl.
That is #20 on the bulkhead. That would go to the switch CAA supplied, that I mentioned on the firewall, then the other side of the switch goes to the compressor/clutch.
This diagram is from the 73 service manual.