News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re wire has begun, various questions, please help me out guys... (pic intensive)

Started by K9COP, August 11, 2013, 08:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

Ok, so after the ordeal with the AMP gauge, the pins on the back of the dashboard circuit board and the general condition of the dash harness once I removed it, I took the plunge and ordered a complete harness for the car. Pretty pleased with the quality and have some questions, some generic, some specific. All info gratefully accepted please ladies and gents.

PIC INTENSIVE THREAD SO DON'T QUOTE ALL OF THIS!

First, few pictures:

Aftermath of my amateur soldering on the back of the power pin on the dash circuit board (see other thread):

Said soldering:

To be fair, the soldering wasn't poorly executed necessarily, just a bit too much...

Work begins:

Few questions please:

1) What would you use to wrap the harness in? The wires are labelled (printed on the wires)  every 6" so my original intention was to use clear heat shrink so I could still read the labels. I got some but not sure I want to apply that much heat to the new wires to shrink the covering. I'd thought about spiral wrap too. Any suggestions?

2) What's this? It looks like a relay to me and was attached on top of the 'roll pan' of the dash steel work at the bottom immediately above the ash tray. To the best of my knowledge it was not connected to anything.

In situ:

3) Can anyone confirm that this is a 'two field wire' alternator please? (It has three wires on the back of it):

4) I'm relocating the battery to the boot (trunk) any suggestions on preferred paths to run the battery cable and or/rear wiring loom inside the car? Along the sills? Alongside the centre tunnel? Together or separate?

5) here's part of my heater wiring.

What's this coil the other side of it?

I need to get the wire colour codes for the steering column plugs too (which wire goes to what in the column/harness.. or terminal assignments in the plugs), but I'll try and work that out from the wiring diagrams unless anyone can help with these pics please:

Fuse box mounted. Similar position to the old one. This position presents it behind the cut out  'hatch' in the glove box liner.

Last one, what does this loop do? It's on top of the steering column.

I'll keep you posted with progress, problems, issues and no doubt more questions!

CS

I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

Pete in NH

Hi Cayman,

The alternator is indeed a two field wire unit. It's called a "square back" and was used on 72 and up cars. It's a slightly higher output unit, usually 50 to 60amps, compared to the earlier round back units. The two lighter wires are the field connections and the heavy black one is the alternator output.

The "coil" behind the heater box connector is a resistor for the heater blower motor speed control. It was mounted in there to use the air flow of the heater to cool the resistor.

K9COP

Thanks Pete, that confirms what I thought, and which wiring diagram to use for the 'engine' section. Just need to work out the electronic ignition now!

To be honest the job intimidates me a bit, but I just had to get started and see how it went.

Thanks,

Paul

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

K9COP

Looks like I discovered in another thread that the 'relay' type item is the head lights on warning buzzer.

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Pete in NH

Hi Paul,

Yes, that's quite a pile of new wiring you have there! One wire at a time and if you can, check out the functionality with either an ohmmeter, voltmeter or actual operation of the part involved. That way you're finding and correcting problems along the way. Otherwise if you install everything at once you can wind up with a lot of little issues and have to take a lot of things apart again to correct them.

What electronic ignition are you using? If it's any of the Chrysler systems I can help.

K9COP

Thanks Pete, here's what I have:

Could be electronic ignition, could be headlight washers for all I know....  :shruggy:

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Pete in NH

Paul,

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. From left to right- the orange box is a Chrysler "orange box" electronic ignition controller. The white ceramic block is the ballast resistor for the electronic ignition and the silver box on the right is the electronic voltage regulator for the alternator. All of this stuff is standard Chrysler electronics upgrade units that came in after 1969. If you need help with any of it let me know.

K9COP

Great, thanks Pete. I'll keep you posted. I've ordered some spiral wrap to keep things tidy, and just ordering new Delphi Weather pack connectors for the steering column wires.

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

TexasGeneral

Dont mean to butt-in ..but, I recommend putting dielectric grease on every electrical connection in that car...

Mopar Nut

Quote from: TexasGeneral on September 06, 2013, 09:38:50 PM
Dont mean to butt-in ..but, I recommend putting dielectric grease on every electrical connection in that car...
:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Canadian1968

I used zip ties to hold on my wires together . Quick / clean and allows you to see all the wires. As well still allows for complete freedom of routing the wires.

It does look intimidating, just start at one side of the car and move to the other. One connector at a time !