News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need another gear or OD

Started by Dmichels, August 26, 2013, 07:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

I need some type of over drive or rear gear change. THe problem is I love driving the car around town. I love the quick acceleration of the 4.10 gear. But I am threw the gears quick and am turning 3000 at 65, that gets old. This is not a race car but I do have a lumpy cam so I need a higher rear gear. I am looking at many options price is a considertion. Passion Performance makes a 4 speed OD gear set that looks interesting. It gives me a little more time in each gear, and an overdrive. I could  drop the rear ratio but I do not think I could have fun with 3.23, plus the drivablity with a big cam? I could get a 5 speed but lots of money and mods. I am also looking at a gear venders OD unit. I love driving the car It puts a big smile on my face. I would love to start going places with my wife and not have to think about beating the engine to death and burning $200 worth of gas going away for the weekend.  Any other thoughts??
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

A383Wing

you could either go with 3.55.....or do the Gearvendors route.....those would be my 2 choices

Bryan

Cooter

All I can offer you is my experience with a 5 speed (.68 od)
I can see these 6speed cars with big ole cams now "loping"down the highway at 1600 rpms getting worse mileage than before because the engine is out of it's powerband.

Mine has an overdriven 3.23 with a big ole purpleshaft .484/ 284 (241@ .050)
And I have to downshift to pull hills below 65 mph.
The engine just has no low end down that low.
Keep in mind your pinion bearings are getting killed driving at 70-80 mph as you are still turning 4.10 gears, you just aren't turning the engine @4000 rpm anymore. Driveshaft speed will be up there.

All this said, you should come out somewhere around a final drive of like 3.40-3.55 gears with a .68 OD. So the cam might still be in it's pwerband...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dmichels

I am running the older 509-292 MP cam. It pulls good from 2300 and up. I hear you on wasting the pinion bearings, I am pulling the rear now to replace them.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

ws23rt

I haven't yet used 4-10 in any car that I have driven for any length of time but I can imagine what it is like.
My Charger had 3-91 when I got it and having been used to 3-23 for many years that even seemed a bit low.
With 3-23 when I wanted something I just put it in second.

It may be something about an auto trans. We put it in drive and and tend to forget that we can down shift. (It may not do it auto when we want it to)
With 4sp that is not the case so much.

If the lower gears in your trans. are not low enough than low rear gear and OD will fix that.  ($$)

My Coronet has 3-54 rear and 4sp. That combo is in the middle and is great fun. :Twocents:

john108

If I ever get my Charger running, that will be for fun and smiles.  When going on a long trip, I drive the Honda!

Kern Dog

Quote from: Cooter on August 26, 2013, 07:51:20 PM

Keep in mind your pinion bearings are getting killed driving at 70-80 mph as you are still turning 4.10 gears, you just aren't turning the engine @4000 rpm anymore. Driveshaft speed will be up there.
All this said, you should come out somewhere around a final drive of like 3.40-3.55 gears with a .68 OD. So the cam might still be in it's pwerband...

Great point.
Some guys get hung up on dropping RPMs down to what their stock-daily driver runs, but they forget that their high compression-BIG cam engine needs to run at 2500 or so to keep from loading up or fouling the plugs.  I like the idea of the Passon replacement gear set. This allows you to keep a stock floor, maintain a totally stock outward appearance yet still have that RPM drop you want.

MSRacing89

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 26, 2013, 11:10:23 PM
Quote from: Cooter on August 26, 2013, 07:51:20 PM

Great point.
Some guys get hung up on dropping RPMs down to what their stock-daily driver runs, but they forget that their high compression-BIG cam engine needs to run at 2500 or so to keep from loading up or fouling the plugs.  I like the idea of the Passon replacement gear set. This allows you to keep a stock floor, maintain a totally stock outward appearance yet still have that RPM drop you want.

Interesting opinions this response.  We run 2200 all on the freeway with an 11:1 550+ HP BB.  No plugs issues.  Also have Gear Vendors with no floor mods needed. 
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Kern Dog

In regards to the floor issues, I meant the mods required to install a Kiesler 5 speed or the equivalent.

Brightyellow69rtse

i never actually looked up the gear vendors unit. i was suprised its $3k     :icon_smile_blackeye:

elacruze

My car had a 4.10 in it for many years. I did the 2011 power tour with the 4.10's and a GV overdrive because I didn't get a 3.55 built in time. It was ok, but pretty harsh on the freeway still. This summer we did the PT again with the 3.55's and GV, and it is the perfect combination. I'm very pleased with the power, around town it's less hassle to drive and with the GV it's right in the power between 60 and 70. With the 4.10's I found myself using the GV even around town.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on August 27, 2013, 06:44:57 PM
i never actually looked up the gear vendors unit. i was suprised its $3k     :icon_smile_blackeye:

for that price mind as well buy a 5 speed unit....especially if u have manual already direct drop?

A383Wing

it's not a direct drop in...floor board tunnel has to be modified, as does the trans cross member.

Cooter

Let's not forget the vibrations that come with the 5-6speed kits.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dmichels

Ok so I need a Passion Performance 4 speed over drive kit with a 3.55 rear then I should add a Gear Venders UNDER drive for spirited driving.
I think I got it right
Thanks for all the input guys
Dave
I think I am going to just drop my rear ratio to a 3.55 or so. That should work for me.
68 440 4 speed 4.10

A383Wing

that's probably the best plan so far...and the cheapest

Kern Dog

Quote from: Dmichels on August 28, 2013, 07:40:28 PM
Ok so I need a Passion Performance 4 speed over drive kit with a 3.55 rear then I should add a Gear Venders UNDER drive for spirited driving.

Maybe you are joking or misunderstood!

The overdrive transmission is the great equalizer. The steep gearing we like for snappy acceleration from a standing start is tamed by that overdrive gear. I've heard of people going from a 3.55 and a standard trans to a 3.91 and an overdrive trans. The latter would give them better acceleration and STILL rev lower at freeway speeds due to the overdrive.