News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to mount the x/h pipe

Started by sext7366, February 27, 2006, 12:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

Is t better to install a x/h pipe closer to the headers or closer to the mufflers, or does this make little difference...I am known for over analizing sometimes.

Johnny SixPack

I believe you're pretty limited in your placement, and in fact right behind the trans is the only place for it, but I can't comment on the physics of it though.

Also, if you have a Gear Vendor's O/D you CANNOT run an X-pipe.

That bit of info is in regards to the TTI X-pipe (and other commercially made pieces) though, and a custom made piece would possibly work.

Got that bit 'o' trivia from Todd at Marsh Performance when discussing my "69 build plans.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

firefighter3931

Usually the x-pipe will be near the tailshaft of the transmission (underneath it....just slightly back).

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

I have heard from exhaust people that you can spray paint your exhaust around the point you want the cross over pipe. Where the paint stops burning off is where you want to put the pipe for maximum effect. I have never tried it and my X-Pipe is at the tail shaft end like everone elses but I thought I would put that in and see if anyone has heard anything else.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 27, 2006, 08:24:02 PM
Usually the x-pipe will be near the tailshaft of the transmission (underneath it....just slightly back).

Ron

I agree

chrisII

Quote from: deputycrawford on February 27, 2006, 10:08:21 PM
I have heard from exhaust people that you can spray paint your exhaust around the point you want the cross over pipe. Where the paint stops burning off is where you want to put the pipe for maximum effect. I have never tried it and my X-Pipe is at the tail shaft end like everone elses but I thought I would put that in and see if anyone has heard anything else.

ive heard this too, but i would think different color paint, different brands, ect ect are all going to burn off at different points, arent they?

deputycrawford

I'm not sure about the different color or brand of paint. I have just heard it done with black. I don't have all the details but I thought I would start someone in the right direction. You'll have to find the particulars but many custom exhaust companies will have the right formula.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.