News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going to Repaint my 69. leave the same or color change??

Started by 69charger2002, August 25, 2013, 06:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69charger2002

Well, i am taking my 69 in tomorrow to get a repaint. It is not a numbers matching car or an R/T.. It may not even be B7 from the factory, i don't know.. Anyway I like the darker blue, and it's grown on me some over the last few months. However, I like cars with "popping" paint colors, like the yellow daytona clone i got from Dane. I am thinking of painting this 69 the 98-01 Dodge ram intense blue pearl. Its a VERY bright blue and I think with a white bumblebee stripe and the blue interior it would pop. I am just interested to see what you guys opinions are on this. I have about a week to be swayed either way   :nana:
For reference here is a pic of the charger, and a pic of intense blue just in case anyone needs a reference...

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

469 runner

I guess I'm a purist, but every time I see one of these 2nd generation Chargers in a non-original color I just don't think it looks right.  That year Charger had a real pretty B5 blue if you want a change.

BrianShaughnessy

I'd leave the paint and change the stripe to white or some other light custom color perhaps...    :Twocents:

Maybe add the rocker moldings?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69charger2002

Quote from: 469 runner on August 25, 2013, 06:54:50 PM
I guess I'm a purist, but every time I see one of these 2nd generation Chargers in a non-original color I just don't think it looks right.  That year Charger had a real pretty B5 blue if you want a change.

I agree with you the B5 blue is a beautiful color. But it's been played out on 68-70 b bodies. This intense blue is actually PB3 color code, though it's much brighter than your typical B3 type code from Mopar. I just don't want it to look like an easter egg..

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well theres always orange....Just sayin'  ;)

How about Viper Blue if you want a bright blue?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Homerr

Personally, I'm in agreement with 469 runner.  If you do go with the B7, or any of the blues, I agree about a white stripe.  A white vinyl top could be a possibility as well.  

Usually the best preserved factory paint is under the package tray.  You may get a look at it by pulling the rear seat if you're curious.

Here were the '69 factory colors.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/_1969PaintChipCharts-01.shtml?load_img=3

And color availability by interior color.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1969/69_Charger0003.jpg

Or....what about white exterior with blue stripe and blue interior?

69charger2002

I just looked at my fender tag it was factory B3 exterior with B7 blue interior. the last pic of that B5 blue 69 is almost exactly what im going for. I am even debating the white top to go with a white stripe.. In that pic the B5 barely looks any different from intense blue..   :brickwall:

Homerr

Quote from: Homerr on August 25, 2013, 07:20:47 PM
Or....what about white exterior with blue stripe and blue interior?

Rarely have I ever self-quoted but I just re-read this and thought it might be missed.  I did a search and could find no images or a white car with a blue stripe.  If you want the 'non-overplayed' combo that might be it.

NHCharger

Ha, I feel your pain. I was originally going black on my non #'s matching 68. Living and driving on dirt roads changed my mind. took me a year to find a color I liked.
Like you I wanted it to pop, but not be obnoxious.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Mike DC

QuoteAnd color availability by interior color.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1969/69_Charger0003.jpg

LOL the yellow paint recommendations.   Dark green interior was recommended with it, while saddle tan was not. 

There was such a raging boner for green in that era. 

Cooter

Damn fellas, at least he ain't paintin it orange with some numbers on the doors right??? ;)
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ram07

haha....the 01 thing pops up again....this one is on ebay....kind of a twist on the 01 I think......for what its worth, thinking the blue would look very cool...

Lord Warlock

If it isn't a true R/T, and isn't numbers matching, paint it any color you want, as long as you're sure you really want that color.  To tell the truth, i think your blue is better looking than the B5 blue, with all the newer cars being available with the bright blue, it isn't near as "unique" as it used to be.   Now maybe a sassygrass green, lemon twist or some other high impact color will float your boat, but why not just buy a new dodge that color and use it to tow the charger around.  

Coming from someone that drives a detonator yellow 2010 challenger, having a color that stands out does make a difference to those that don't own one, seems to speak to them somehow, but almost none of them would have the nerve to buy one that color themselves.  Keep in mind, some colors will lower the resale value, I've read yellow isn't the best choice if reselling.  

P.S. I'm not against bright blue as a choice, it was my 2nd choice for the new car, but i already had a blue car in storage that is two shades of blue, depending on how light hits it, direct sunlight its a light blue, indirect or lower light such as dusk and its a darker blue.  91 color code was Napier blue, but sticker said Stratus blue, paint shop book said Jamaican Blue which is what i'm painting it now, Most of the color is on, will have to do the black exterior trim, then put it together again and I'll have the Blue car on the road again after 10 years of storage.    
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JB400

I can attest to that.  I know a dealer that had a yellow Daytona (new one) and he had a hard time reselling it as well.  I think he had it a year and a half before he finally sold it.  The other similar cars he had, they were gone in less than a month.

Lord Warlock

I saw a yellow 440 six pack 4spd superbird on a dealer lot in 1974, they'd used it on display for 3 years in showroom but moved it out and were trying to give it away for a song.  Price was 3k, new, 4yrs old with no miles to speak of, noone wanted the color then, and the yellow detonator challengers were on new lots for over 12 months, mine had been on the lot for 5 when i got mine,  and i bought mine sight unseen, from an internet ad from 3 states away.  They delivered it to my door.  An srt8 DY challenger on a local dealer sat on the lot heavily discounted for a year after i got mine, that means it was 18 months old when they finally moved it.  Then they came out with the new yellow jacket, basically the same color, just had the option of getting a 392 in one instead of a 6.1.  They are still taking their own sweet time selling new off lots, you can still get them if you look around, and they're older than a year.  

Doesn't matter, I still like yellow, it suits me.  My first car was Y3 yellow, my last one to date is DY.  First yellow car i've owned in 34 years.  And it gets a TON of attention in public.  
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 25, 2013, 07:18:23 PM
Well theres always orange....Just sayin'  ;)

How about Viper Blue if you want a bright blue?

Interesting fact I heard from a Dealer...   They are not allowed to touch up or repaint new Vipers...   if they are scratched or need touch ups they need to be transported back to the mfg plant.  Weird.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

JB400

Brightyellow69rtse

that viper blue is pretty bitchin. that with a white top, white stripe and white interior would be wicked nice!

John L

Quote from: Lord Warlock on August 26, 2013, 11:23:16 PM
I saw a yellow 440 six pack 4spd superbird on a dealer lot in 1974, they'd used it on display for 3 years in showroom but moved it out and were trying to give it away for a song.  Price was 3k, new, 4yrs old with no miles to speak of, noone wanted the color then, and the yellow detonator challengers were on new lots for over 12 months, mine had been on the lot for 5 when i got mine,  and i bought mine sight unseen, from an internet ad from 3 states away.  They delivered it to my door.  An srt8 DY challenger on a local dealer sat on the lot heavily discounted for a year after i got mine, that means it was 18 months old when they finally moved it.  Then they came out with the new yellow jacket, basically the same color, just had the option of getting a 392 in one instead of a 6.1.  They are still taking their own sweet time selling new off lots, you can still get them if you look around, and they're older than a year.  

Doesn't matter, I still like yellow, it suits me.  My first car was Y3 yellow, my last one to date is DY.  First yellow car i've owned in 34 years.  And it gets a TON of attention in public.  
I love the DT Yellow. Tried to buy one recently from a local dealer, just a regular 2012 RT. Best they would do was 28K and I could get a 2013 RT cheaper because Chrysler had no incentives  for the 2012. I noticed one day it was gone after it had sat for about 6 months, turns out a guy 3 blocks away bought it so I see it on a regular basis. Still I do love that color.
Travis paint it any color you want, it's your car.