News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrome Plating Back from Superior

Started by 69fourspd, August 27, 2013, 02:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fourspd

Just got my chrome back from Superior Chrome Plating in Houston Tx.  I got the vent windows and hardware along with tail light bezels for my 69 done.  I would say the quality is very inferior to other platers I have seen.  The vent window frames are rounded on the top ourside ridge, which used to be a very slight V, but now looks like one big wavy piece.  The chrome looks too thick and actually see what looks like runs on the insides(Not sure how that happens when electro coating...).  Sanding marks can be seen on all parts.  The vents were in much better shape than before they were sent.

I just did a search on these guys and saw another member who experienced problems with them as well. My loss is your gain   ::)

Dino

Sorry to hear and thank you for posting this to warn others.

Any chance for a refund?  Heck, they even owe you new vent frames!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69fourspd

Thanks Dino.  I'll give them a call tomorrow, but I don't expect anything to happen.  I don't think they will do any better if I send them back and I would guess they will fight any refund.  We'll see what they say...

Mopar Nut

How did you pay for the service? Credit card or PayPal will get your money back.

Good luck.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

sanders7981

:eek2: Good to know!  I just contacted them about doing some work for me, including vent windows.  Looks like I will pass on their services. 

elitecustombody

I'd advise anyone shipping their parts for plating to lay them out and take detailed pictures. Maybe even engrave some sort of mark to know that these are your parts :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Mopar Nut

Quote from: elitecustombody on September 02, 2013, 08:43:34 AM
I'd advise anyone shipping their parts for plating to lay them out and take detailed pictures. Maybe even engrave some sort of mark to know that these are your parts :Twocents:
I would even do this if I had a local shop do the work.  :2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

sanders7981

Good call, I too thought about this myself.  However, with the price it costs to recoat Items I have determined that it is cheaper just to buy what I can new/reproduced.  $1100 +\- to do both bumpers... Pass when I can get a set from AMD for $600 and some change.  Same for door handles and what not.  Just to worth it to me since it will be a daily driver, especially since I do not have large amounts of disposable income.  Never sought to have a concours resto.  I plan on enjoying this thing when I am done!

Dino

Quote from: sanders7981 on September 03, 2013, 09:46:00 AM
Good call, I too thought about this myself.  However, with the price it costs to recoat Items I have determined that it is cheaper just to buy what I can new/reproduced.  $1100 +\- to do both bumpers... Pass when I can get a set from AMD for $600 and some change.  Same for door handles and what not.  Just to worth it to me since it will be a daily driver, especially since I do not have large amounts of disposable income.  Never sought to have a concours resto.  I plan on enjoying this thing when I am done!

Apples and oranges though.  The AMD bumpers are not as good as the originals so you can also see it as $600 down the drain.  It all depends on what you can live with.

I look at chrome and paint shops as the same thing.  I have to be able to see their prep and final product.  If that is a problem I will shop elsewhere.

ODZKing

I can recommend this fellow.  Quality Pot Metal Works.
Custom Cast & Chroming
1419 Chaffee Drive, Suite 4
Titusville, FL 32780
Phone: (321) 267-4421
Email: customcastchrome@aol.com
Steve Hubbard

69fourspd

Just to give you guys an update, I spoke with Superior after shipping some parts back. They dont see the issue and dont think they would do much better than the pieces they already sent.  The window channels below are an example of their handy work in case someone wants to gamble on getting their chrome done here.  They bent the metal with a clamping device from the inside, which they insist couldnt have happened at their shop.  Even if this was a factory bend (doubt it), they should have straightened this prior to chrome.  I have pics of these being straight as an arrow prior to leaving as well...

Bottom line - Whether or not the bends in the metal happened at their shop or not, they think this piece looks as close to show as anything:

Dino

Incompetent people do not know what true quality is.  Their idea of perfect is vastly different that that of others. 

I'm real sorry man but those pieces are garbage.

Mopar Nut

I agree, fight for your money back, I'll be spreading word here on their quality.   :RantExplode:

Silver R/T

This what happens when you hire minimum wage workers and expect them to work like they're getting paid $30/hr
A minimum wage employee doesn't care about quality of product he's putting out. No wonder some businesses go out of business so quick.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69fourspd

Even if I get them refunded, my biggest issue now is getting them re-done elsewhere will take another 4-6 weeks turn around time.  Too bad they don't make repros of this window channel ::) .....

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Dino on September 03, 2013, 10:11:54 AM
Apples and oranges though.  The AMD bumpers are not as good as the originals so you can also see it as $600 down the drain.  It all depends on what you can live with.

When you say they are not as good, do you mean they are technically not as good, i.e., such things as wrong dimensions/contours, wrong gauge and/or grade of steel, or do you mean they are not as good in the sense that original parts are generally more desirable/valuable than reproductions just for the sake of being original, regardless of technical merits?

I mean, most people would pay more for an original, especially NOS part, even if the reproduction was a molecularly perfect clone of an NOS part, straight out of a Star Trek replicator.

Dino

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 17, 2013, 07:07:25 AM
Quote from: Dino on September 03, 2013, 10:11:54 AM
Apples and oranges though.  The AMD bumpers are not as good as the originals so you can also see it as $600 down the drain.  It all depends on what you can live with.

When you say they are not as good, do you mean they are technically not as good, i.e., such things as wrong dimensions/contours, wrong gauge and/or grade of steel, or do you mean they are not as good in the sense that original parts are generally more desirable/valuable than reproductions just for the sake of being original, regardless of technical merits?

I mean, most people would pay more for an original, especially NOS part, even if the reproduction was a molecularly perfect clone of an NOS part, straight out of a Star Trek replicator.

I mean quality wise, not originality.

69hemidaytona

I have a pair of perfectly rechromed pieces I could sell you. They are from my Hemi Daytona. I found NOS pieces. Let me know if you are interested.

69fourspd

69hemidaytona - message sent. Thanks.

thebigmope

I have had a lot of pieces done by Pauls chrome in Pennsylvania including those vent window frames- expensive but top quality and never an issue with their work Those frames cost me i think over 400 each but tup notch chrome and i knew that being original pieces instead of repops which always have some fitment issues these would fit properly

Lord Warlock

ouch! seems like a lot for such a small piece of chrome.  Wishing I hadn't messed with mine, which now needs to be rechromed.  Only need the drivers side.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

thebigmope

This was for the entire assembly including the large chrome piece that goes down the front of the door and the channel where the front edge of the door glass goes into lot of money yes but it was worth it

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

There are two kinds of Chrome shops.....

Dippers and shippers.......

Then, there's chrome platers that take their time and charge accordingly. Chrome is like paint jobs.
everybody thinks it ain't that hard and shouldn't cost like it does until they are at a show and someone points it out.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

69fourspd

You got that right  :2thumbs:
Sometimes you learn the hard way.... Chrome is definitely something you get what you pay for.