News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Because you don't see one of these every day...

Started by 6spd68, August 27, 2013, 10:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6spd68

Was doing my daily roam through Kijiji and found this:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1987-Buick-Grand-National-GNX-3149-original-miles-W0QQAdIdZ481555783

Figured I'd share it with everyone because they really don't come up often at all.  Would I pay 97,500$ for it?  Hell no.  Cool to see none the less. :popcrn:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

charger_fan_4ever

I wonder what the original sticker price was ?

Asking more than a C500 which is even more rare.

Nice car but the new muscle just does not command the price of the original muscle cars Imo.

:Twocents:

twodko

That's a very nice original GNX, looks highly optioned too. They were ahead of their time with the turbo.
The owner must plan on keeping it for a very long time. That's stupid money asking price.

Thanks for posting it though, beautiful car.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Baldwinvette77

a neighbour of mine has one of these, see it everyday  ::)  :lol:

SRT-440

New they went for around $30K. And unless it's #001 or #547 (the last one made) they'll never get close to that number.

I'm a big block kinda guy...but...my GN marches to it's own drummer. I've had it for almost 3 years and it scares the cr*p out of me everytime I drive it. LOL
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

6spd68

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 27, 2013, 12:39:52 PM

You may see a Grand National everyday...  But I highly doubt it's a GNX.
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

bakerhillpins

I have always had a soft spot for the Turbo Buicks.  :yesnod: Even the Monti Carlo SS of the late 80s.  I know..    :leaving:

Wouldn't pay that much for a GNX though.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

areibel

Cool, but not Hemi or Wing car cool!
I have a friend that bought one back then, still has it stashed in the garage except for 2-3 days a year when it comes out.  It sits next to his GSX and Stage II Skylark, so he's hardcore Buick.  They were stickered at $30K when new, but I doubt many sold for that- he paid a "dealer premium" of around $15K more to own his!

6spd68

Quote from: areibel on August 29, 2013, 12:34:55 PM
Cool, but not Hemi or Wing car cool!
I have a friend that bought one back then, still has it stashed in the garage except for 2-3 days a year when it comes out.  It sits next to his GSX and Stage II Skylark, so he's hardcore Buick.  They were stickered at $30K when new, but I doubt many sold for that- he paid a "dealer premium" of around $15K more to own his!

That's intense sir!  Just one of those cars on their own are worth a pretty penny.

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 29, 2013, 09:12:12 AM
I have always had a soft spot for the Turbo Buicks.  :yesnod: Even the Monti Carlo SS of the late 80s.  I know..    :leaving:

I feel ya, I've had 2 G-bodies.  They drive nice, and can pack some real sleeper power if done right.

I had an 85 Pontiac Bonneville with a 355CU from a 74 Camaro, TH350 from the Camaro and the rear end from an 87 Grand National.  With an agressive tune, it was alright.
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

areibel

:2thumbs:
Talk about a sleeper!  I'd bet that would surprise more than a few of the 5.0 Mustangs and F body GMs!

rt green

third string oil changer

myk

Quote from: areibel on August 29, 2013, 03:02:27 PM
Talk about a sleeper!  I'd bet that would surprise more than a few of the 5.0 Mustangs and F body GMs!

Eh, Mustang and F body guys think they can pull Veyron's with little to no 'mods anyway...

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: SRT-440 on August 27, 2013, 01:24:49 PM
New they went for around $30K. And unless it's #001 or #547 (the last one made) they'll never get close to that number.

I'm a big block kinda guy...but...my GN marches to it's own drummer. I've had it for almost 3 years and it scares the cr*p out of me everytime I drive it. LOL

Believe it or not they do !!!!!!

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0513-154214

69 OUR/TEA

As a Turbo Buick guy as much as I am into Mopars,the GNX is my bucket list car.I have been following them closely for a long time to see where they are going as far as prices.From around 2003 on up they have went up and never looked back.The highest points were,as well as all collector muscle cars,the years 2005-2008,the highest I have seen one sell for was $127 at BJ.
The prices I have seen the past few years are like such(meaning what they sell for):

The sub 100 mile cars-$80k-100k
1k miles and down -$70-80k
Then a broader range 1k-11k miles- $62-70k
And so on as the miles go up the price goes down with the cheapest I've seen for around $39k

All GNX's were exactly the same as far as options goes.None ever had T-tops or sunroofs.They all left the factory as reg GN's,were sent to ASC Mclerean for the conversion,then sent to the Buick dealers,and all had a sticker price of $29,999.But as said the dealers marked them up to whatever they wanted.A dealer near me sold theirs for $47k in 1988 !!!!!!

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 6spd68 on August 29, 2013, 07:53:21 AM
a neighbour of mine has one of these, see it everyday  ::)  :lol:

You may see a Grand National everyday...  But I highly doubt it's a GNX.

nope its a gnx, i cant remember the number althought its written on his license plate  :smilielol: he has the jacket that came with the car and 2 interiors, ill get a picture of it maybe if he allows me to post it on a mopar forum  :lol:

oh wait, i think its number 535 or something, gotta check for you  :scratchchin:

69 OUR/TEA

Baldwin,I remember you saying something about this car before,and that it was a real GNX.Luck guy,one of the fortunate 547 !!!!!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 01, 2013, 06:11:48 PM
As a Turbo Buick guy as much as I am into Mopars,the GNX is my bucket list car.I have been following them closely for a long time to see where they are going as far as prices.From around 2003 on up they have went up and never looked back.The highest points were,as well as all collector muscle cars,the years 2005-2008,the highest I have seen one sell for was $127 at BJ.
The prices I have seen the past few years are like such(meaning what they sell for):

And so on as the miles go up the price goes down with the cheapest I've seen for around $39k

All GNX's were exactly the same as far as options goes.None ever had T-tops or sunroofs.They all left the factory as reg GN's,were sent to ASC Mclerean for the conversion,then sent to the Buick dealers,and all had a sticker price of $29,999.But as said the dealers marked them up to whatever they wanted.A dealer near me sold theirs for $47k in 1988 !!!!!!

I recall a daily driven 60k mi GNX for $17k several years back. I should have bought it...  :slap:

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 02, 2013, 08:59:17 AM
Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 01, 2013, 06:11:48 PM

I recall a daily driven 60k mi GNX for $17k several years back. I should have bought it...  :slap:

Without a doubt !!!!!!

Baldwinvette77

ok, i spoke with the owner of the gnx took some pics, and before i forget, he's friends with the owner of the last gnx, he told me about a story how gm sold it by mistake, and contacted him the day after, told them if he gives the car back he can have any 1988 gm car and 50$k he said no, and sold it for 400,000$ 2 years later.. anyway pictures!

and yes im aware my camera sucks   :rotz:

Baldwinvette77

RAWR

Baldwinvette77

BLARG

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: myk on September 01, 2013, 02:01:19 AM

Eh, Mustang and F body guys think they can pull Veyron's with little to no 'mods anyway...

Is there anybody left in the world to be so stupid to be fooled by a 'sleeper' ?   ::)      Back in the day these things kicked ass... so did the 89 TTA's which there were almost 3 times as many were made. 

Most of the X's left out in the world are being hoarded and undriven...  victims of their desireability like a survivor wing car.    But that leaves all the regular GN's and T-types, etc. out on the street and strips beating up on lots of stuff. 

Yeah it's on my bucket list too...  but my bucket has a hole in it  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mopar Nut

Just to think, back in the day I thought those were ugly.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 02, 2013, 04:33:05 PM
Quote from: myk on September 01, 2013, 02:01:19 AM

Is there anybody left in the world to be so stupid to be fooled by a 'sleeper' ?   ::)      Back in the day these things kicked ass... so did the 89 TTA's which there were almost 3 times as many were made. 

Most of the X's left out in the world are being hoarded and undriven...  victims of their desireability like a survivor wing car.    But that leaves all the regular GN's and T-types, etc. out on the street and strips beating up on lots of stuff. 

Yeah it's on my bucket list too...  but my bucket has a hole in it  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Yup,you're correct Brian,1,550 TTA's were made.Not many know alot or anything at all about them.To fit the 3.8 Buick V6 inbetween the strut towers,they had to use the FWD 3800 V6's heads as they were physical smaller and in turn stumbled on they flow better in that application,and coupled with the GNX intercooler,and dif fuel system used in the TTA's,ended up producing over 300HP.When put into a shootout with a GNX,they ended up being neck and neck !!!! As far as price goes on them,just as the GNX's,the dealers put an ADM(adjusted dealer markeup) on them.Mine had a window sticker of $35,000 !!!And that was 1989.More than a Corvette that year.It is said there was NO flexing on the price,if you didn't want to pay sticker,move aside and let the next guy in .Very fun car,power of the GNX,and handling to boot !!!!
NTM,to pace for Indy,they needed to achieve 176mph,they did it right out of the box!!!!!!The three actual pace cars are/were no different from the ones sold from the dealers.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 02, 2013, 06:00:16 PM
Just to think, back in the day I thought those were ugly.

I did too, and I still do. The '80s was a decade of boxy, generic, uninspired body styles, and the Buick Regal was no exception. Plus it had opera windows; a bad styling trend left over from the '70s. Erase the B-pillar, thus turning that opera window into a real window that can roll down, and the car would look a little better, but not by much; it would still look like a trapezoid sitting on top of a rectangle, like most '80s cars did.

Mike DC

Name another Detroit car of the period which has aged better than those GN Regals. 

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 03, 2013, 03:48:11 AM

Name another Detroit car of the period which has aged better than those GN Regals. 

1986 Chrysler Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo Z
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

6spd68

My T-bird has always been faster, but I did feed it to a few Camaros.  Nothing beats the looks you get at the next set of lights after their over-invested in speed machine loses to a 4-door box sedan lol...  :coolgleamA:

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 01, 2013, 06:33:59 PM
Quote from: 6spd68 on August 29, 2013, 07:53:21 AM

You may see a Grand National everyday...  But I highly doubt it's a GNX.

nope its a gnx, i cant remember the number althought its written on his license plate  :smilielol: he has the jacket that came with the car and 2 interiors, ill get a picture of it maybe if he allows me to post it on a mopar forum  :lol:

oh wait, i think its number 535 or something, gotta check for you  :scratchchin:

That's really cool to see, great pics  :2thumbs:
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke