News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help needed with Carb Identification

Started by preid, August 26, 2013, 11:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preid

I think my carb is either the Carter CAS AVS-4737S or ECS AVS-4739S but don't know how to tell for sure.  Engine is 440 4BBL w/ manual in a '70. 
Can someone tell me how to confirm?

Thanks,
Paul

Dino

Hi Paul, the ID number should be stamped on the front of the carb. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

preid

great, thanks - glad its that easy, I'm away on travel so haven't been able to even look at my car this week.  Planning on tuning the engine this weekend so making a list of everything I want to check and info I'll need to look up before hand.

BTW, looks like your project is coming along quite nice  :2thumbs: Making pretty good progress.  I lost track as to why you decided not to upgrade your front suspension, just not a priority?  I'm re-doing all mine this winter (I need to post some pics of what it looks like as I'm sure I'll have questions).  Kinda surprised so many wear parts weren't replaced during the resto but, it is what it is.  It will be a good experience to work on.   
Paul

Dino

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with the front suspension at this time.  The bushings are greased so much that there's no way these suckers are going to dry out.   :icon_smile_big:

My mechanic looked at them and said they were likely replaced at some point because they're not looking too bad.  That makes senses seeing there's a bigger sway bar on the front.

I am doing the shocks and adding the rear bar but that's as far as suspension goes for now.  I can always have them replaced later, it's not something I have the tools for.

If they hold out, they won't be replaced until the car gets a full resto.  That will happen once I am graduated and have a good job.  That's at least 4-5 years from now.

I put around 2000 - 3000 miles on this car every season so I think if something was wrong  I should've known by now.  I think...   :lol:

The shocks are dead though, the rears have no pressure to them at all.  Something tells me the new eddy shocks will feel quite nice.   :icon_smile_big:

I did quite a bit to the car but it's a week of 90 degree weather so I'm not doing anything until it cools down a bit.

To be honest I was a bit worried when I saw all the work you had to do.  I thought you had a turn key car but yeah it is what it is.  Are you going with rubber or poly bushings?

preid

Definitely going w/ rubber, I'm trying to stick to original config. as much as possible, no reason to have the poly, not like I'm going racing or anything w/ this car.  Yeah, I'm doing more than I originally thought but to be fair, I'm choosing to do more than I really need to.  I did go thru a couple of electrical gremlins that were consistent with what you said happens when a cars sits too long.  Things are now pretty steady/reliable.  Even this engine tune I'm doing, I'm not having any real issues (starting is consistent and runs smooth) but just want to see how she reads compared to specs. 

To be honest, I think I'm still struggling with the concept of doing upgrades vs keeping her all original.  I just can't get myself to change her from original (even just a bolt on) but it sure would be fun :).  I know that may sound silly and I really have nothing to complain about, maybe the answer is to get another one.....  :drool5:

Dino

Yeah that's it, get another one!   :lol:

I know how you feel, even with that mutt of mine it took me a while to do some serious upgrades.  Remember, if it bolts on, it also bolts off.  No harm done.

At this point I am making my car 100% as I want it.  I don't plan on selling anyway.

I'm having a ton of fun with my car right now, even though it won't be going anywhere for a long while.  I just received a windshield wiper timer so I can turn the system into an intermittent wire ranging from 3 - 30 seconds.  always wanted that.   :icon_smile_big:

I also gave in and bought the clock quartz conversion kit as mine is really way off now.  Last time I checked it advanced almost 2 hours in about 45 minutes.   :smilielol:

preid

Yeah,
after I take care of the front suspension, I"ll probably start considering options for upgrades. 
Now, a question back to my original issue, still haven't had the chance to look at my carb yet but do you recall where the ported and unported vacuum ports are?  Plan on tuning the idle mixture to the vacuum signal.  I think if I look down the carb there are 4 ports the two top ones will be either the ported or unported, does that sound right?

preid

Dirk,
I finally got a chance to pop the hood, I see no ID stamped on the carb what-so-ever to ID it, any chance they put it on an ID plate (that is now missing)?

Dino

Quote from: preid on August 29, 2013, 09:38:20 PM
Dirk,
I finally got a chance to pop the hood, I see no ID stamped on the carb what-so-ever to ID it, any chance they put it on an ID plate (that is now missing)?

I honestly don't know.  I thought they were always stamped so I hope someone reading this knows.  If I find something I'll post back.

ws23rt

The number should be on the front face of the passenger side front foot below the bolt.
If There is no number there It is a mystery to me as well :shruggy:

A383Wing

should be stamped here...passenger side front foot of carb

preid

Ok, thanks guys, I'll look again.   :cheers:

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on August 29, 2013, 09:58:35 PM
should be stamped here...passenger side front foot of carb

You are good with the pictures :2thumbs: