News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger Downunder

Started by bullitt440, August 25, 2013, 10:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Yes, nothing wrong with that at all.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

bullitt440

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 27, 2013, 05:09:59 AM
Quote from: bullitt440 on August 26, 2013, 01:26:28 AM

There's definately something appealing about black Chargers...

Still weighing up the possibilities, but the Bullitt Charger would be very cool.  I don't have anything against the General Lee, but I don't think the world needs another GL clone  :rotz:

Plus '68s look odd as a "General Lee" anyway. Over half of the real Warner Bros. General Lees were '68s, but their "conversion" of them to roughly a '69 appearance was a quick hack job; i.e., the center divider piece from a '69 grille was pop-riveted in place, and two '69 tail light-shaped openings were cut into the '68 tail panel. On earlier shows they even left the round side marker lights in place, covered with orange paint. Later on, they shaved the side markers from both '68s and '69s, for the sake of continuity.

Your car is sure to turn heads over there regardless of how you paint it. A second-generation Charger can cause a stir anywhere these days, but I imagine that is especially true outside of the United States, where they are even more uncommon than they are here. The A-body Australian Charger was a cool looking car, but it pales in comparison to the real thing in my opinion.

Are you required to convert it to right-hand drive in order for it to be street legal over there?

Thanks for the General Lee info - very interesting.  I read somewhere that they destroyed over 200 Chargers during the filming of the original series.  Seems like an absolute waste.  But I'd also heard that demand and values for Chargers suddenly spiked after the Dukes movie in 2005.  In the long run, I assume many more examples have been saved because of the tv and movie exposure.

I totally agree that the Aus Charger is not quite in the same league as the Dodge.  I owned a 318 Aus Charger back in the 80's and thought it was the best looking car on the road - until the first time I saw a Dodge Charger in the flesh at a car show.  It was love at first site  :drool5:  I feel very privileged to own one now!

A few years ago, new registration laws were introduced over here to allow cars over 30 years of age to be legally registered as left-hand drive.  Before that, it was very expensive to convert to RHD, particularly for Mopars, as they were less common that Mustangs, Chevs, etc.  Back then, importing and converting was not really an option for the average joe.

bullitt440

Quote from: Bob T on August 26, 2013, 04:38:50 AM
Gidday mate, 68's see the best lookin ones, all those other guys are so misguided.
I seem to remember seeing a movie like that once
Black cars really suck to keep clean, just ask Fred   :lol:
Congrats and well done on the purchase anyway, whack up a few more pics when you get a chance

:cheers:
Bob in NZ

Here's a few more pics

Fred

I'd say you've got it made.  :2thumbs: You've got to be grinning from ear to ear.

bullitt440

Quote from: Fred on August 27, 2013, 10:06:08 PM
I'd say you've got it made.  :2thumbs:

Hopefully there's no hidden surprises awaiting...

Do you source your parts from anyone in particular?  I see there are a couple of local suppliers and some of the more common parts are avilable through them.

polywideblock

Elko performance in Vic for  panels and parts ,valiant spares on the gold coast for engine parts might be a bit closer  to you  :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

MaximRecoil

Quote from: bullitt440 on August 27, 2013, 09:59:06 PM

Thanks for the General Lee info - very interesting.  I read somewhere that they destroyed over 200 Chargers during the filming of the original series.  Seems like an absolute waste.  But I'd also heard that demand and values for Chargers suddenly spiked after the Dukes movie in 2005.  In the long run, I assume many more examples have been saved because of the tv and movie exposure.

Probably closer to 300 of them. Of course, when the show started in 1979 they were just 10- and 11-year-old cars on the normal "used car" market. You could probably find them easily at used car lots and in classified ads, kind of like if you were looking for a 2002 or 2003 Mustang or whatever today. And they didn't even have to be fussy, any '68 or '69 Charger would do, except for maybe one with a sunroof (even then, a piece of roof skin from an already wrecked Charger and some Bondo easily solves a sunroof problem).

Chrysler made a combined total of 185,307 '68 and '69 Chargers, so 300 of them isn't much from that perspective, and I agree that the interest in second-generation Chargers that show created more than made up for it, resulting in far more than 300 examples being saved that otherwise would have been crusher bait.

QuoteA few years ago, new registration laws were introduced over here to allow cars over 30 years of age to be legally registered as left-hand drive.  Before that, it was very expensive to convert to RHD, particularly for Mopars, as they were less common that Mustangs, Chevs, etc.  Back then, importing and converting was not really an option for the average joe.

That's awesome. Not only does that save you a lot of money, but even if it cost nothing to convert to RHD, it is nice to not have to hack up the car's original factory configuration.

You probably already know this, but your car originally had a vinyl top. Someone removed it and filled in the C-pillar seams between the quarter panels and roof skin and either repainted the whole car or just the roof. They didn't bother to remove the vinyl top molding around the base of the C-pillar and fill the mounting holes. The same thing was done to most General Lees too. The story goes that when building the early General Lees, they intended to delete the C-pillar molding to make them look like real non-vinyl top cars, but it was so rusty under there that they said screw it and left it on. Since most Chargers had vinyl tops from the factory, so did most General Lees have the C-pillar molding for it. There were some true non-vinyl top Chargers that showed up on the show as the General Lee from time to time however.

Fred

Quote from: polywideblock on August 27, 2013, 11:05:39 PM
Elko performance in Vic for  panels and parts ,valiant spares on the gold coast for engine parts might be a bit closer  to you  :2thumbs:

That's the place to go. They've got the most sheet metal outside of America.
And Roadrunner for glass.

JB400

Your car looks pretty solid on the outside.  How is it underneath?

tan top

Quote from: bullitt440 on August 27, 2013, 10:03:41 PM
Quote from: Bob T on August 26, 2013, 04:38:50 AM
Gidday mate, 68's see the best lookin ones, all those other guys are so misguided.
I seem to remember seeing a movie like that once
Black cars really suck to keep clean, just ask Fred   :lol:
Congrats and well done on the purchase anyway, whack up a few more pics when you get a chance

Bob in NZ

Here's a few more pics

:coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bullitt440

Elko performance in Vic for  panels and parts ,valiant spares on the gold coast for engine parts might be a bit closer  to you  :2thumbs:

thanks for that  :cheers:

What parts are common between the B-Bodies and the Aus Valiants?  I imagine brake, suspension and driveline would have some parts in common?  :icon_smile_question:

bullitt440

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 27, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Your car looks pretty solid on the outside.  How is it underneath?

The rails and floor look amazingly good.  I'm led to believe the car spent most of it's life in California, but the trunk floor pan is a total mess.  It will have to be completely replaced.  One of the first tasks will be to get the trunk cancer sorted and apply plenty of fish oil.

68r/t

Quote from: bullitt440 on August 27, 2013, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: 68r/t on August 27, 2013, 06:58:20 PM
Congratulations on the car,,, Mine looked the same as yours when I got it and I was also thinking of going black but the thought of the constant dusting etc put me off.
I repainted mine in the original TT1 green and in the sun it looks great as the silver/gold metallic really comes out, mine has the pearl white interior which helps break up all the green also.

Wow!!  Your Charger looks fantastic and the green really is magnificent in the sunlight.  

Thanks for posting your pic - very inspiring  :2thumbs:

I personally still think black is the "supreme ruler" of colours on chargers but its the upkeep that kept me away, is yours TT1 green?
I used Elko for some parts,  I got the magnum 500s from there as it was only $50 more to get them here compared to importing them myself, and I didn't have to wait 6 weeks for them to arrive  but pretty much everything I got was direct from the USA.
Just be carefull of the shipping costs so shop around, out of all the vendors I used over the 5 years it took me to do mine I only had issues with one, he was a ebay seller and has now shut up shop and I got my money back through paypal.
I found most company's were more than happy to deal with overseas customers, I had a great experience with megaparts and BEA and ended sourcing many parts from there.

Bob T

Quote from: bullitt440 on August 28, 2013, 01:47:08 AM

thanks for that  :cheers:

What parts are common between the B-Bodies and the Aus Valiants?  I imagine brake, suspension and driveline would have some parts in common?  :icon_smile_question:

Nothing that I can think of. They just look like big Vals underneath, umm, oil filters are the same for 265/440 I recall .
Oh, and probably the dual tone horns. But the stainless tulip shifter knob out of a VC is the identical and much sexier upgrade for the chromed plastic Dodge one  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

fy469rtse

The only cars that are in common are the early Phoenix's 62 to 64 share the same front suspension components like top arms and such, don't be afraid to by direct your self, lots of great company's like summit racing , Mancini racing ,and for you low buck stock replacement parts try rock auto.com,
You might save a few bucks , never hurts to look first and compare, oh by the way a very good starting point , car looks to be in great shape

bullitt440

I personally still think black is the "supreme ruler" of colours on chargers but its the upkeep that kept me away, is yours TT1 green?

I believe it's the medium green metallic, but the paint is heavily oxidised so it's difficult to tell  :shruggy:  I assume its stamped on the option plate under the hood?  I've wet sanded and buffed a small section and it looks like it'll clean up reasonably well.

I used Elko for some parts,  I got the magnum 500s from there as it was only $50 more to get them here compared to importing them myself, and I didn't have to wait 6 weeks for them to arrive  but pretty much everything I got was direct from the USA.
Just be carefull of the shipping costs so shop around, out of all the vendors I used over the 5 years it took me to do mine I only had issues with one, he was a ebay seller and has now shut up shop and I got my money back through paypal.
I found most company's were more than happy to deal with overseas customers, I had a great experience with megaparts and BEA and ended sourcing many parts from there.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

What size wheel/tyre combination did you go for with your Magnums?

bullitt440

Nothing that I can think of. They just look like big Vals underneath, umm, oil filters are the same for 265/440 I recall .
Oh, and probably the dual tone horns. But the stainless tulip shifter knob out of a VC is the identical and much sexier upgrade for the chromed plastic Dodge one  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the info - I'll definately keep an eye out for a VC shifter knob   :yesnod:

bullitt440

Quote from: fy469rtse on August 28, 2013, 06:22:03 AM
The only cars that are in common are the early Phoenix's 62 to 64 share the same front suspension components like top arms and such, don't be afraid to by direct your self, lots of great company's like summit racing , Mancini racing ,and for you low buck stock replacement parts try rock auto.com,
You might save a few bucks , never hurts to look first and compare, oh by the way a very good starting point , car looks to be in great shape

Cool, I'll check out those suppliers.  I've had a look at Summit Racing and I was impressed with their range and pricing.  Good to know they have a great reputation as well.

polywideblock

also don't forget eBay .com, not ebay.com.au.  lots of suppliers have eBay stores  and you can find most parts, in 5 years of buying from the us i'v only had one item not arrive and pay pal covered that !    :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

68 Charger RDR 838

Yeah guys, thanks for your advice and comments. I am the other lucky guy to be sharing "Bullitt 440"s 68 project.
Got off to a rocky start with a 12 month wait for shipping to Australia, but now that it's arrived we couldn't be happier and keen to get stuck into it !! :cheers:
Just saw the thread showing the 68 on show at Summit, wow there is some inspiration for us !! So what are your thoughts on should you bumble bee stripe a black car or not ? seems to look awesome both ways  :2thumbs:

Fred

Welcome mate.
I'm all for it.  :2thumbs:  But not of course if you're going to turn it into the Bullitt car.
As you say though, any which way is awesome!  It's the body itself that makes the car. The rest is just embellishment.

bullitt440

Quote from: 68 Charger RDR 838 on August 29, 2013, 02:09:35 AM
Yeah guys, thanks for your advice and comments. I am the other lucky guy to be sharing "Bullitt 440"s 68 project.
Got off to a rocky start with a 12 month wait for shipping to Australia, but now that it's arrived we couldn't be happier and keen to get stuck into it !! :cheers:
Just saw the thread showing the 68 on show at Summit, wow there is some inspiration for us !! So what are your thoughts on should you bumble bee stripe a black car or not ? seems to look awesome both ways  :2thumbs:

Cheers bro and welcome!!   :cheers:

Worth the wait, now that she's here  :yesnod:

A wealth of knowledge and experience on this site, and plenty of supportive people!

Enjoy the good times  :2thumbs:

68r/t

Quote from: bullitt440 on August 28, 2013, 09:23:14 PM

I believe it's the medium green metallic, but the paint is heavily oxidised so it's difficult to tell  :shruggy:  I assume its stamped on the option plate under the hood?  I've wet sanded and buffed a small section and it looks like it'll clean up reasonably well.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

What size wheel/tyre combination did you go for with your Magnums?

Mines medium green metallic aswell, I put 15x7 with 245/60 on the front and 15x8 with 295/50 on the rear, 10 inch rims will going on the back soon tho.
Heres a pic of how I got it   

bullitt440

Mines medium green metallic aswell, I put 15x7 with 245/60 on the front and 15x8 with 295/50 on the rear, 10 inch rims will going on the back soon tho.
Heres a pic of how I got it   

Looks like you had a very good example from the outset  :2thumbs:

When I had a look, TT1 is the paint code listed on the option plate under the hood.

I'll be very keen to see how the 10 inch rims look  :popcrn: 

remta1

Kelvins got 10 inch rims on his ..me thinks once you see , :yesnod:you will like