News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Location Revealed

Started by Davtona, August 25, 2013, 03:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richRTSE

QuoteHe began a thread asking for leads to cars in barns. One post led to another and leads were presented until my specific geographic location was revealed by a local acquaintance I presume innocently enough. This was on Wednesday and I did not find the thread until Friday morning. Friday evening at 5:30 Ryan appeared at my driveway using the information that had been posted for 3 days that he and the rest of the world could view. When I confronted him about this in my driveway he assumed no responsibility for this. His claim was he did not post my location and was not responsible for it being posted for 3 days. I informed him in my opinion I held him responsible for this as my location would never have been revealed if it had not been for his original post.

I can totally understand being pissed at having someone show up at your house asking about whats in the garage. I wouldn't want that to happen to me either. However, I think I would be MORE pissed at the "local acquaintance" who revealed this information "innocently enough". I missed the post on moparts which you are referring to, so my comments are based only on what I've read here. I've read alot of Ryan's posts about his finds, and it seems like he does his best to protect the anonymity of the owners. It sounds like he asked a question, someone else provided info, and he was following up on it.

If someone posted an ad looking for Charger parts for sale, and one of my friends posted that I had a bunch of stuff sitting around, go see if any of it might be for sale, here's the address...I'd be pretty pissed if that person showed up at my house asking about my stuff, but I'd be more pissed at the guy that posted my info...
:Twocents:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Wow.

A) I posted a forum post asking about any cool barn finds.
B) Someone posted the city he lived in.
C) The city just happen to be on my way to the hotel I was staying at.
D) So I go through the small town and pull into the little park there.  There is a guy cutting the grass at the park.  He sees me looking at my map and asks if I needed some help.  I said I was looking for cool old Mopars.  He pointed me to the guy above.
E) I didn't even pull in the driveway and the guy was out in his driveway.  No sooner did I get out of the car and say "Hi, I'm Ryan" did he start yelling at me.  His exact first words to me were "Where do I get off posting barn finds all over the internet?".  
F) I responded that I post them as inspiration to people to look in barns, fields, junkyards.  That there are still cool cars out there, they aren't all gone if you look for them.  And that I never post where the cars are, who own them, I blurr addresses and license plates.  I do my best to make sure that the person is left in peace.  I make it very clear up front I am not there to buy the cars, I am there to hear the story and if allowed, document them through photography and magazine.  We have cool cars for a reason, even if they are rotting away in a field.  If you don't want me to know, that's fine and I leave in peace.  You don't hurt by asking though.  
G) Well this gentleman thought differently and decided to yell at me for an hour how I'm ruining the car hobby and how I'm a horrible person and I'm using this for an ego boost and I'm going to be sued some day, etc....
H)Then the gentleman and his wife threatened me and told me they were going to call the cops, for what, I'm not quite sure.
I) At this point I thanked them for their time and apologized that they felt they way they do.  I gave them my card with all my contact information.  Address, phone number, email, website, etc... Just so they would have it.
J) Then they called the cops on me after I left and filed complaint against me.  If I come within 150 feet of their house I will be arrested.

The funny thing is, I did not know the guys (Davtona) name or anything before the cops told me it over the phone 2 hours later.  With the yelling in the driveway at me, he never mentioned it.  Also it was never mentioned in any posts on Moparts

I drive around looking at Barn Finds as my side job.  I do my best to make sure that the locations are not known and I keep it vague when writing.  I ALWAYS ask people first if it is ok to take pictures and maybe do an article on the car.  Not only is it the right thing to do, but legally I have to do it.  I do not have a hidden camera in my fedora.  I have a large DSLR that is a bit hard to hide.  I am always forward and direct with people and anyone that has met me knows this.

I have gotten people that don't want me to take pictures or don't want it published.  And that's fine and their prerogative.  I've never released some pictures and never published some stories to honor those wishes.

Just like a real archaeologist, I follow what clues I'm given and follow them where ever they may lead.  

Here's the original post on Moparts with me asking if anyone knew of any cool cars in Iowa.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Test&Number=7822096

There was a post by someone saying to look around a certain town in Iowa.  And so I did.  And here we are.

Ryan Brutt
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com

Dans 68

Quote from: Devil on September 04, 2013, 11:21:47 PM
Wow....

After reading this thread, and your side of the story, I'd have to agree.  ;)   Amazing how occcasionally our realities are skewed from each other. I enjoy reading about your finds, Ryan. Keep on trucking....   :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Steve P.

As a car lover I can appreciate what Ryan, (DEVIL), does. I can understand the concerns of everyone who wants to keep their anonymity and understand people not wanting their stories and locations told. However, when you own high visibility cars or even just one highly sought after cars or parts, you are now just the same as a rock star or an actor. Someone knows you or knows where you live. People love these old cars just as you do. Many of us cannot afford or just cannot work on the cars we love anymore and love to see the pics and read the stories about these cars.

Ryan and I had this conversation a few years back and he assured me that he is careful not to step on any toes. I believe him. Can he make a mistake? Sure. We all do. After reading this I don't feel he was wrong at all.

Of course others would be interested in your cars. If they were weeds you would not be interested in them. Nor would anyone else.

Also I want to point out that nobody on any message boards that see the volume that we do and Moparts does, have the time to read every single thread. I don't know anyone who reads every word of their daily newspaper from front to back. It just isn't possible and to be honest, we don't all care about each car or area of the site.. Personally my passion is not in Winged cars. I only go into the winged cars section when I get a "report to moderator" message. The same goes for body and paint. I don't know much about either and I have nothing I can add or help anyone with. So I choose to only go there when necessary.  So raising hell with message board owners and their moderators is bunk. Even when you do hit the REPORT TO MOD. button, it sometimes still takes time to get to it. This is not our day job. We do this for love of the site.

I personally would love to see and read about your cars and how you came about them and what their stories are. The cars that especially interest me are the ones that have been resurrected from a pile of rust.  I, unfortunately, cannot go to many car shows anymore. I do get my "FIX" from here and other car sites. If people did not ask many stories would never be known.

As Troy said, everyone on sites like this needs to police themselves. Also others.. Thus the reason we have the report to moderator button. It is unfortunate that your address was posted, but anyone reading it could have hit the report button and it would probably have been removed.  I know I have removed many things people did NOT want exposure of. I have also asked in PM if someone really wants that info in the open forum. That is up to the person themselves.

As to people pulling up or driving by slowly, I would think that most are just checking out your car because they like it. I have had many pull up and never had a problem. Matter of fact I sold a car through someone seeing one of my cars and telling a friend about it. I take that back. I have sold 2 vehicles that way. A truck I had planned to restore with no intention of selling went for way more money than it was worth to me. It just happened to be exactly the truck this gentleman was looking for and he put so much money in my face I had to sell it! Worked out very well for me as I then bought another 65' Coronet 500... 

There is really no getting away from a bad element, but we all do our best to keep everyone happy.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

diego

I've met Ryan a few times. He's worked hard to create his reputation as a guy who discovers old iron. He's always been respectful, and from his articles a lot of people have been respectful to him, even inviting him to look. We are involved in a hobby that has many facets that sometimes are at odds with each other, but we all share the same enjoyment for a particular item (in this case, cars). Without knowing the OP other than his initial diatribe, I still feel a little grace goes a long way.

bakerhillpins

The first day this was posted up I typed up a long thoughtful message, the day got away from me and it got lost and I never had the steam to try again. In general I was trying to support Ryan, which I still do. Some folks just can't gather perspective or be reasonable, they fly off the handle and expect the world to operate as they see fit. I am impressed that Ryan stood there for an hour while someone flew off the handle on him. I know that I don't have the patients for that crap and to save me further trouble I just move on. It's time in my life that I can't get back and sure as heck don't want to waste on them. I am sorry that this blew up on Ryan and I think the exhibition (complaint/restraining order) by the other gentleman is ridiculous and sad. Frankly, I see this behavior as detrimental to our hobby and culture.  :rotz:

I would like to point out however that Steve has many valid points about these cars and the interest that they bring. In fact, last weekend I was visited by a nice gentleman who was kind enough to hand deliver the first trophy my car ever one at a car show. The interesting part is that the trophy was from the Sandwich NH fair in October of 2012! Yep, almost one year ago (they failed to buy them that year and promised to mail them). He only knew I drove a Dodge/Chrysler muscle car and the town I lived in. Stopped a local, gave his story, and ended up in my driveway. Took little to no effort. I don't have a high dollar car but I drive that thing a couple times a week all over town. It's the way the world works. If you don't want people to know then you should sell them all and move on.   :Twocents:

Quote from: diego on September 05, 2013, 11:34:59 AM
I've met Ryan a few times. He's worked hard to create his reputation as a guy who discovers old iron. He's always been respectful, and from his articles a lot of people have been respectful to him, even inviting him to look. We are involved in a hobby that has many facets that sometimes are at odds with each other, but we all share the same enjoyment for a particular item (in this case, cars). Without knowing the OP other than his initial diatribe, I still feel a little grace goes a long way.

I haven't met Ryan but I completely agree.  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dino

Ryan, I don't have a barn and my car is not worth finding anyway, but you're welcome anytime you're around.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

F8-4life

If someone is hunting barn finds they should expect this kind of thing now and again, I mean private prop has to be protected from outsiders.
A stranger in the driveway is just that... a stranger. He could be a great guy but how would I know?

Dino

Quote from: F8-4life on September 05, 2013, 02:04:25 PM
If someone is hunting barn finds they should expect this kind of thing now and again, I mean private prop has to be protected from outsiders.
A stranger in the driveway is just that... a stranger. He could be a great guy but how would I know?

You don't, you always have to be on your toes.  Like I said before, if people wait at the end of the driveway or simply ring the doorbell and are polite, they will be treated in the same manner.  If someone comes barging up my driveway or enter my garage without my permission,  I will not be so nice.

I am as careful as I can be, but I refuse to live in a bubble.

1974dodgecharger

damn, people who see my car are scared of me...i wish ryan would do a article on me on how i keep taking apart my car that runs fine just to upgrade it, slowly at that.

mopars get more attention than the other classic muscle cars due to our rarity.  a mustan is a dime a dozen.....

Dino

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 05, 2013, 02:49:29 PM
i keep taking apart my car that runs fine just to upgrade it

You as well?  I hope I didn't start that dumb trend!   :lol:

bill440rt

Quote from: richRTSE on August 30, 2013, 07:59:16 AM

If someone posted an ad looking for Charger parts for sale, and one of my friends posted that I had a bunch of stuff sitting around, go see if any of it might be for sale, here's the address...I'd be pretty pissed if that person showed up at my house asking about my stuff, but I'd be more pissed at the guy that posted my info...
:Twocents:

A similar incident happened to me once. I was eating dinner, and the doorbell rang. Some guy is at the door, no idea who he was. I cracked the door open, he says he's "Looking for a starter and Mr.X from across town said you might have one." I was like WTF!!!!  :o :brickwall: :flame:
First, I have no idea how Mr.X knew where I lived, and why the F did he tell a total stranger (to me) to go pay me a visit to see what I have?
I told this guy to leave, I'm eating dinner. He came back 2 hours later, I met him at the end of my driveway at that point. No way was I gonna let this guy inside anywhere.
I was pretty pissed that someone was given door to door directions who I never met before. 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1970Moparmann

If the thread is what it is was posted by Ryan, I'm confused......

I thought the apparent thread was removed?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bull

Every one of us wants to see old cars; few of us want others to see OUR old cars. This is what we call a quandary.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on September 05, 2013, 08:31:26 PM
If the thread is what it is was posted by Ryan, I'm confused......

I thought the apparent thread was removed?

No problem.  I'll break it down.

I posted a thread on Moparts, the one I linked to above, asking if anyone knew of any "barn finds" for my trip through Iowa.  Someone responded that I should go to XXXXX town in Iowa.  That was it, just the name of a town, no address, no phone number, no names of who it was.  Just a town name.  So it was "perfect" that it was on my way to my hotel.  So I stopped in the town, and was pointed to Davtona's home by the grounds keeper at the local park where I had stopped.  I then pulled onto the median, as Davtona was already in his driveway.... and he started yelling at me for an hour, yadda yadda yadda I then left.

That night while in my hotel I email the mods on Moparts to please delete the Iowa town name from the "local acquaintance"'s post.  Which they did a little while later.  But that was the 1st they had heard of any issue with the post.  Nobody had "notified a mod" before me, and none of the mods had gotten any emails to delete it.

Ryan

hemi-hampton

I'm confused. Didn't you get pictures of some cars? LEON.

Ghoste

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 07, 2013, 12:02:42 AM
I'm confused. Didn't you get pictures of some cars? LEON.

Before I met Davtona I shot another big "barn find".  I never shot anything at Davtona's place.  I never left the median of the highway where I had parked.

Homerr

I certainly helps to get multiple sides to a story.

General_01

I guess from my point of view I would have been irritated too. It's one thing if I have my car in the driveway and washing it and somebody comes up the driveway to ask about the car. It is totally another to have somebody drive around town asking if they know where cars are and somebody tells him I have a car and he comes to my house and knocks on the door to ask if he can take pictures of my car.  :Twocents:

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

mauve66

but from a public highway, you have no recourse
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

charge69

If my Charger wasn't already outside when anyone came up to me to talk or photograph it, I seriously doubt I would open my garage and back it out for just anyone that knocked on my door and asked to see it. Too many things in my garage that do not need to be seen by just any stranger passing by!

Anyone "cold-calling" my door wanting to see my Charger would just be asked to leave and not shown the Charger at that time. I am certainly easy to find as my life is no secret and I certainly do not live "off the grid" as they say. I probably would let you see it if you would just go to the trouble of calling first and setting up a time to come by. When out of my garage, my Charger never leaves my sight.

General_01

Quote from: mauve66 on September 08, 2013, 10:44:35 AM
but from a public highway, you have no recourse

That's true. You can't stop people from seeing and taking pictures from a distance if your car is out in plain view.

I guess I was speaking more to the common sense and respect aspect of approaching someone's home just because you see or have heard there is a car there. I have driven by houses and just because I see a car doesn't mean I stopped. If it is in the back yard, I do not stop. If it is sitting up a long driveway behind other cars, I don't stop. If it is in the garage, I don't stop. The only time I would think of stopping is if it was out in the driveway and the owner was out there with the car. I certainly don't go looking for a car at someone's house because I heard they have a cool car.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

moparfan53

I think there is a difference between a complete stranger asking about your car and somebody you have not met but know of. In this specific case, the OP knew who Ryan is/was, however had never met him. If a complete stranger came to my house asking about my cars (when they were not in plain view) I would send him away. If Ryan came and introduced himself I would say I did not want my cars photographed or mentioned by him but would offer to show them to him as a fellow Mopar enthusiast. :Twocents:

Twice in the past few years I have been followed home by complete strangers when in my '69 Charger. Once was a fellow who was building a '69 and had some questions. The other was a couple who had their young son in the car who was crazy about '69 Chargers. The father stayed in the car on the street while explaining his son loved Chargers and asked permission to bring him in the driveway to look at my car. I said yes and was pleased that the father kept reminding his son not to touch the car as he circled it several times. Seeing how into the car he was I asked them if they would like a picture of the son behind the wheel. They jumped at the chance and I can still remember the big smile on the boy's face. Neither of these times bothered me and I was glad to share my car with others who had the same interest/passion.

I think the bottom line is that you need to size up each situation when somebody is asking about your car. :Twocents:

:cheers:

moparfan53

Quote from: General_01 on September 08, 2013, 11:15:52 AM
I guess I was speaking more to the common sense and respect aspect of approaching someone's home just because you see or have heard there is a car there. I have driven by houses and just because I see a car doesn't mean I stopped. If it is in the back yard, I do not stop. If it is sitting up a long driveway behind other cars, I don't stop. If it is in the garage, I don't stop. The only time I would think of stopping is if it was out in the driveway and the owner was out there with the car. I certainly don't go looking for a car at someone's house because I heard they have a cool car.

I agree completely. I also have driven by interesting cars without stopping because there was no one in the driveway or yard. One time there was a fellow mowing his lawn with a great looking '68 Charger in his driveway. Not wanting to possibly annoy him by asking about his car while in my daily driver van I drove home (only 8-9 min away) and returned in my Charger. Once he saw me stopping in front of his house he stopped mowing and we had a great chat while looking at both Chargers.