News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Location Revealed

Started by Davtona, August 25, 2013, 03:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Quote from: Bandit72 on August 27, 2013, 03:40:27 PM

I politely told him that if i ever caught him on my property again that he and a certain .38 special were going to have a very one sided conversation....he left and as far as i know hasn't even been back to check on the oil wells back there  :scratchchin:

Yes, that would be a real concern!  :yesnod:

charge69

I live on a cul-de-sac (2nd home from the main street) in a fairly large subdivision and have had at least 3 people that were just driving by on the main road, turn on my street and pull up in front of my home to admire and/or just look at my Charger. It doesn't sit outside on the driveway very often and I am always outside by it when it is. No one has yet to just show up at my door and asked about my Charger in the garage but, I think it is just a matter of time. I have a home phone and the same number for over 37 years and it is published in a public phonebook. Pictures here are taken with a digital pocket camera and I, supposedly, disabled the location info. stamp but, who knows.

My garage is always locked unless I open it and am physically right there. When I am not home (these days, not very often), my old truck is parked close to the garage door and right behind the Charger. I suppose it would not stop a determined thief but, They would have to work at it. My neighbors are watchful and there is no way someone would not notice something wrong going on. At least, I hope so !!!!!

69_500

So was it this weekend? Sorry to hear someone showed up unannounced. I know I have stopped in places before without asking before hand, but then again I do not blog about my finds and tend to not post hardly any pictures.

ws23rt

I agree with the concern many have expressed about this.

There are a lot of things that I would like to get rid of /sell. And CL would work well. However I do not like the idea of someone coming to check out an item just to get a foot in the door and see what else I have.  I am not usually a paranoid sort but CL has that reputation.
I would rather deal by email and UPS but with large items it is a pain.

BTW I live at the end of a long driveway off the main roads. I had just pulled into my garage with my C500 one day and a car followed me to that point and jumped out wanting to get a closer look at my car. :shruggy:

F8-4life

This thread is another reason to get a wrong-year oddball car that nobody else would even want.
'76 coronet baby!

stripedelete

Quote from: Davtona on August 25, 2013, 03:11:06 PM
One post led to another and leads were presented until my specific geographic location was revealed by a local acquaintance I presume innocently enough.

My dad would never let anyone hunt our farm, even if they were honest, good, people.   Paraphrased, he said, "it's not the hunter that is going to rip us off.  It's going to be the guy at the end of bar who overhears the hunter complementing our possesions.

This is a high tech version of that scenario.  However, IMO, your threat is still going to come from who local third party dirtbag.

So in the end what do you do?  I don't' know.  I guess take reasonable security measures, have good insurance,  and enjoy the hobby.      :shruggy:

Cooter

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 25, 2013, 11:55:54 PM
Uncovering and photographing old cars on private property to get paid by a magazine company isn't how I'd like to make a living but hey, his articles help sell magazines. :D  I don't remember Ryan talking about his discovery method(s),... or the location(s) being mentioned in any articles I've read.

Also as far as knocking on someones door with no appointment and asking questions....that takes balls!  :scratchchin: You wouldn't want to show up like that at some crazy M-F'er having a bad day who hates strangers... :2guns:  Like Cooter for example.  :smilielol: :smilielol:
Hey, wait a minute tuffy....I resemble that remark.. :smilielol:
Posting someone's stuff for all to see.  NOT cool.
I don't even like for too many to know where I reside, and one could be not thinking and be at a party talking bout cars and let something slip. Next thing you know there just happens to be a crackhead listening in on where his next fix is gonna come from...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Homerr

Troy, I see your point.  I'd like to rephrase #3 as a system-wide failure from users to moderators.  A high traffic site should have caught something like this sooner than 3 days, but the OP should not have posted personal info in the first place.

Davtona

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 26, 2013, 10:31:58 PM
Davtona, I understand your concern with privacy...but can you tell us how much information was revealed and on what forum?  It sounds as if someone posted your Google Earth location.  :scratchchin:

No it was not Google Earth. Didn't need to be.The entire thread was a fishing trip to drum up information. Several cars and their vague locations were described. Mention of what I have was posted with a general direction and area given. One post leads to another post and people chime in. I live in a very, very small town and then it was named. After that it was drive to my driveway. Anybody could have done it. He called me by name.

Yes Danny last week / weekend.

Aero426

Quote from: Homerr on August 27, 2013, 09:05:18 PM
A high traffic site should have caught something like this sooner than 3 days, but the OP should not have posted personal info in the first place.

The OP (Ryan) on Moparts did not post the location or personal info of the offended party.    The OP was asking for leads of cars or barn finds or things of interest that might be available to be seen in a particular area on an upcoming weekend.   That is all.

It is not the responsibility of the site or its moderators to determine who wants their stuff to be seen or not seen.    But it seems that they took action once there was a  complaint.    I had seen the thread a couple of times, but must have missed the exact information that was posted.    If they posted an exact address, I never saw it.

As for what Ryan does, he seems to do it with the utmost in confidentiality.   As for profiting, I am pretty sure he can not quit his day job by writing a column for Hot Rod.   He seems to have a method that works to get people to show him their cars.  And the response to his blogs and photos are more positive than not.    That said, I can COMPLETELY understand why someone might not be happy with a person cold calling asking to see a collection and take pics.  

1970Moparmann

I personally think even "forum friends" should respect people's personal information - period.  If Ryan was able to get to this small town and find the house, personal information was given.  Not saying Ryan is at all fault here- the people who provided the information are more at fault. 

I've never thought about putting cameras on/in my house, but am ready as of recent stories. 

The more personal information released to others, the more people are going to start hiding these cars in the future.  Even now, I say more than not, that I have a 70 Roadrunner versus a Superbird.... 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Aero426

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on August 27, 2013, 09:42:35 PM
I personally think even "forum friends" should respect people's personal information - period. 

This really is the root cause of the problem.   Loose lips sink ships.   

Troy

Quote from: Homerr on August 27, 2013, 09:05:18 PM
Troy, I see your point.  I'd like to rephrase #3 as a system-wide failure from users to moderators.  A high traffic site should have caught something like this sooner than 3 days, but the OP should not have posted personal info in the first place.
Well, speaking as a member of the public... this scenario certainly makes me think twice about what I say about other people and their possessions. It is easy to say more than you should in passing and, if more than a few people give just a little info, then it wouldn't take much to piece it all together. I know I've been quick to tell others when I've spotted a cool car on a back road excursion. Most of the time it's a car I saw driving but, even then, most people who have classics don't travel terribly far from home like I do. Getting to a town and asking a few questions would probably net a name and location in short order. Although, poking around the property of most of my relatives will get you bitten or shot (or both!).

Discussing it will hopefully make people more aware that there might be consequences. I do know a bunch of people who love showing off their stuff so it's something that can be determined for each individual case.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dino

Everyone in my area knows my car and plenty people know where it sleeps.  Heck I have it sitting in my driveway a lot when I'm in and out of the house.

The first week I got it I had lots of people come up to me but they all asked if it was okay to come up the driveway to look at it, which I really appreciate.

I don't like that it's this well known but whatcha gonna do?   :shruggy:

There's a reason why my car is getting an alarm system and gps tracker.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

mauve66

Quote from: Homerr on August 25, 2013, 07:38:23 PM
I see this as three levels -

1.  The poster of the location
2.  Devil/Ryan Brutt
3.  The forum/moderators

To me the forum/moderators are completely at fault here, they should not allow personal information to be posted freely.  They had 3 days to see the post and take down the info.  If addresses, phone numbers, etc. are exchanged then it should be by PM and the moderators should remind anyone to conduct their business that way - be it #1 or #2 above.

On a separate note, it sounds like Ryan Brutt acted like an ass for showing up without making an appointment with you.

Also, the only real way you will ever hide is by not posting anything on the internet but where is the fun in that?

Finally, why are we hearing about this here?  Has this been taken up in the originating forum?  Should it not just end where it started?

so i can blame Troy that he let you guys talk me into working on my car and look where its gotten me............................ :rofl:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

will

Today I took a friend for lunch. While we were driving back to his house he spotted a 69 sitting in a driveway off a main road. He asked if I wanted to go back. I told him no way, after reading this thread I would not want to be a suspect. You never know who is going to be a culprit, might even be a UPS guy or the mailman. Sadly in this litigious society you can't even stop to bullshit with a car guy.

charge69

Will,   sure you could go back and talk with them.  Just explain you were driving by and noticed it.  Can't see how that could do any harm.  If the people there end up hostile to you or are not interested in selling, just apologize and move on.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: will on August 28, 2013, 06:32:13 PM
Today I took a friend for lunch. While we were driving back to his house he spotted a 69 sitting in a driveway off a main road. He asked if I wanted to go back. I told him no way, after reading this thread I would not want to be a suspect. You never know who is going to be a culprit, might even be a UPS guy or the mailman. Sadly in this litigious society you can't even stop to bullshit with a car guy.

In this case the owner put the car in the open.  It wasn't you coming on here directing us to the house.

ws23rt

As time passes these cars have become rolling car shows especially the wing cars.

We like them as does the general public.  I enjoy the attention my car gets when I am driving and showing it. However the paparazzi sort are not welcome in my personal life.
Leave me alone at my home please. :eek2:  Or make an appointment. :yesnod:

1970Moparmann

Quote from: ws23rt on August 28, 2013, 07:05:27 PM
We like them as does the general public.  I enjoy the attention my car gets when I am driving and showing it. However the paparazzi sort are not welcome in my personal life.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

will

Gotcha. Like ws23rt alluded to, the car was parked off a main road on a dirt driveway. Knowing what to look for is what catches the eye. I didn't want to appear as an intruder. I've had parts vanish over the years because when I was younger I wasn't as security conscious.

Fred

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on August 28, 2013, 07:21:01 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 28, 2013, 07:05:27 PM

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

451-74Charger

Unless your car is not visible from the street, your location is fair game thanks to Google and Google maps.
If you dont want people to know where your car is, keep it out of public view.

Fred

I only had my bronco in the driveway while closing the gates before driving off and it was captured by google earth. So when you key in my address you'll see it. Could just as easily have been the charger as I take it out at least twice a week.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Dino

There's no way I can keep my car hidden, I take it out way too often.  That still doesn't mean it gives anyone the right to get close to it.  When people are polite and ask while waiting at the end of my driveway then I really don't mind.  It's all in how you handle it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.