News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Location Revealed

Started by Davtona, August 25, 2013, 03:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davtona

Last week my specific geographical location was posted on another Mopar forum in a thread started by Devil. (Ryan Brutt)  :flame:  He began a thread asking for leads to cars in barns. One post led to another and leads were presented until my specific geographic location was revealed by a local acquaintance I presume innocently enough. This was on Wednesday and I did not find the thread until Friday morning. Friday evening at 5:30 Ryan appeared at my driveway using the information that had been posted for 3 days that he and the rest of the world could view. When I confronted him about this in my driveway he assumed no responsibility for this. His claim was he did not post my location and was not responsible for it being posted for 3 days. I informed him in my opinion I held him responsible for this as my location would never have been revealed if it had not been for his original post. It took till Saturday morning for the posts to be removed from the forum. My location was left posted on an open forum for 3 days. Only after he was confronted about it was the location taken down. I had prior to the thread being deleted and edited copied the entire thread in case I require it for action in the future. While this appears interesting and fun all the pictures and information of the quote cars in barns he finds and posts for the world to see this could at some point have severe consequences. How long before someone ends up missing cars or parts because of this. I am sure there are a lot of members out there like me that see all the posts & pictures. But we really do not approve of this and would prefer to remain somewhat under the radar to the general public. I am somewhat known in the Mopar world nationwide amongst certain circles and have have been for 30 + years. Nothing I have is a barn find to many in the Mopar world. Many people know my entire inventory. It's just that Ryan and the general public do not know about it. I will and have shown my collection to many Mopar passersby in confidence in the past and will in the future. I will not however show it to someone who will display it to the entire world for his own personal gain. He maintains his information reveals no information regarding the location of the items he posts. This is not entirely true as he drove to my residence using information that was posted in a thread he started on a public forum that anyone could have acquired had they been looking. I can drive to the turquoise Daytona he posted pictures of in 2009 using information that was posted in his thread. Many years ago I sold a currently very well known car to a gentleman and he has never revealed where it came from. That is professionalism this is not professionalism or journalism.  How long before he shows up at your door and your location is posted on an open forum for the world to see. Think about it.

JB400

Sorry that had to happen.  I will say though that if someone does have your name, they can find your exact location of residence on the net.  Posting it on a forum though, does cross the line in my book as well.

spoolinhard

I enjoy all of his photos and stories that I have read about in hot rod, as well as following him on all the mopar sites.

xs29j8Bullitt

Sorry that this happened to you, I know how it feels...  That is the primary reason that I gave up trying to keep my cars out of public view and posted pictures myself was to turn the "barn find" atmosphere into more of an "old news".  Unfortunately I have felt compelled to spend over $15,000 on security in the last two years... and will be spending thousands more soon.  In about 2007, I walked out of my shop and saw a car parked out on the street with the passenger using a massive telephoto lens on a camera, apparently taking photos through my open overhead doors 200 ft away.

Unfortunately there is probably nothing that can be done via legal channels, unless they trespass onto your property.  If there is a theft after the exposure there may some civil lawsuit avenues and even some criminal charges if it can be established someone showed callous disregard and poor judgement after being made aware their posting could lead to criminal activity.

I have known you for over 30 years, and fully agree that these posting should not be made without the FULL and INFORMED consent IN ADVANCE by the owner of the vehicles.  I know of private collections that would easily rival the best finds that Ryan (Devil) has posted, but have only showed photos of them to long time trusted friends, and that the way I will continue to handle the information... Just my  :Twocents:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Homerr

I see this as three levels -

1.  The poster of the location
2.  Devil/Ryan Brutt
3.  The forum/moderators

To me the forum/moderators are completely at fault here, they should not allow personal information to be posted freely.  They had 3 days to see the post and take down the info.  If addresses, phone numbers, etc. are exchanged then it should be by PM and the moderators should remind anyone to conduct their business that way - be it #1 or #2 above.

On a separate note, it sounds like Ryan Brutt acted like an ass for showing up without making an appointment with you.

Also, the only real way you will ever hide is by not posting anything on the internet but where is the fun in that?

Finally, why are we hearing about this here?  Has this been taken up in the originating forum?  Should it not just end where it started?

Mopar Nut

Too bad that happened, that information will stay in public view for at lease three months. I've seen threads last longer when deleted too, search engines keep a history on such things. I posted my 68 Charger for sale on CL 18 months ago, still had people calling after the ad expired for six months.

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TUFCAT

A line has been crossed here....and this aint gonna be good.  :brickwall:

JB400

Quote from: Homerr on August 25, 2013, 07:38:23 PM

2.  Devil/Ryan Brutt
3.  The forum/moderators

To me the forum/moderators are completely at fault here, they should not allow personal information to be posted freely.  They had 3 days to see the post and take down the info.  If addresses, phone numbers, etc. are exchanged then it should be by PM and the moderators should remind anyone to conduct their business that way - be it #1 or #2 above.

On a separate note, it sounds like Ryan Brutt acted like an ass for showing up without making an appointment with you.

Also, the only real way you will ever hide is by not posting anything on the internet but where is the fun in that?

Finally, why are we hearing about this here?  Has this been taken up in the originating forum?  Should it not just end where it started?
While this is clearly a rant, it can also be considered a notice.  I thank Daytona for the heads up for any of us that may have collector cars that could of interest to other parties.

redmist

I know the first thing I would do is NOT post about it on a public forum... I had no idea about it, until I found the post here....

i would delete the thread and work this in private... you are only generating search fodder on the net by creating this thread.

:Twocents:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: redmist on August 25, 2013, 11:12:04 PM
I know the first thing I would do is NOT post about it on a public forum... I had no idea about it, until I found the post here....

i would delete the thread and work this in private... you are only generating search fodder on the net by creating this thread.

:Twocents:
:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Daytona R/T SE

I've got several cars and a lot of parts.

Some here at home, and some in a friend's barn.

I sure as hell don't want pictures of my personal belongings or my property plastered all over

the internet or in that chevy-sucking rag "Hot Rod."

I think what he does is intrusive, deceitful and a little creepy.

69charger2002

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 25, 2013, 11:21:34 PM
I've got several cars and a lot of parts.

Some here at home, and some in a friend's barn.

I sure as hell don't want pictures of my personal belongings or my property plastered all over

the internet or in that chevy-sucking rag "Hot Rod".

I think what he does is intrusive, deceitful and a little creepy.

LOL thats exactly what i thought of HotRod too, and i just let my subscription lapse.

On a side note to the OP. That really sucks someone just shows up at your doorstep. I have friends with some cool collections that prefer to stay low key, and I respect that and would NEVER jeopardize their privacy, it's just not right.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

HANDM

Jeez... never thought about it like this before and I too would be a little freaked out if "he" showed up wanting to poke around in my stuff.  Or even worse, asking about my local Mopar friend who, and I have no reason to doubt him, says he has over 37 mopars. As the op stated, and it's the same here, everyone who knows Mopar knows this person and you won't find him on the net......

TUFCAT

Uncovering and photographing old cars on private property to get paid by a magazine company isn't how I'd like to make a living but hey, his articles help sell magazines. :D  I don't remember Ryan talking about his discovery method(s),... or the location(s) being mentioned in any articles I've read.

Also as far as knocking on someones door with no appointment and asking questions....that takes balls!  :scratchchin: You wouldn't want to show up like that at some crazy M-F'er having a bad day who hates strangers... :2guns:  Like Cooter for example.  :smilielol: :smilielol:

Old Moparz

Just like when someone posts an eye-sore car from ebay that people dog pile to make fun of until the car's owner posts, it was only a matter of time before this happened.   ::)

People have been arguing about this exact topic for years & sometimes it gets very heated. I almost find it amusing when some of the posts turn to threats, like trespassers will be shot, but the reality of it is you could very well get shot showing up on private property. Is that over reaction? Maybe, but maybe not. If I or someone else had a break in with items stolen, & then, purely by coincidence, some car enthusiast shows up to snap photos, that person is going to instantly raise suspicion & will have to deal with the police.

I think it's fine to take photos of cars at a show or somewhere in public to post & talk about, but this kind of invasion of privacy is a gray area. True, people can find out where others live through the internet, phone books, tax offices, deed recordings, county records, etc., but this kind of posting on public forums where locations are made public is just wrong. Maybe it's not illegal, but it's ethically wrong. I suppose it's just another form of wanting 15 minutes of fame or make an attempt at trying to find a car that's more rare than the last one someone else posted.

My cars are now all indoors & secure, but years ago they weren't. It's more about keeping them from the elements, but security is a major reason, too. Several years back at Carlisle they gave away a 4000+ mile Challenger. During the weekend that the car was on display, some scumbag stole the gas cap from it. Not a big dollar item, but the car survived for many years being taken care of until it was presented to the public. If I had a car in my driveway & some careless idiot posted a photo of it with the location for a scumbag to drive by & help them self to the gas cap, I'd be pissed.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Todd Wilson

Don't smartphones taking pictures put GPS into the picture file? Been reading some stories of this and thru some programs you can find out where the picture was taken. You may post a photo and give up where you are at without really thinking about it.

Todd

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Todd Wilson on August 26, 2013, 10:53:19 AM
Don't smartphones taking pictures put GPS into the picture file? Been reading some stories of this and thru some programs you can find out where the picture was taken. You may post a photo and give up where you are at without really thinking about it.

Todd

Thats creepy, but sounds just about right.

1970Moparmann

Yep.  Facebook and other social media websites do that.  Turn it off on your phone and account profiles on websites!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

GOTWING

make sure your teen daughters etc. turn that feature off, or help them with it if they have facebook. you could get some creep to try to do who knows what these days.

TUFCAT

Davtona, I understand your concern with privacy...but can you tell us how much information was revealed and on what forum?  It sounds as if someone posted your Google Earth location.  :scratchchin:  

A383Wing

I live on a dead end street...had the garage door open the other day, the cream 66 was in full view...but the nose of the Daytona was visible as well....these 2 "guys" drive by slowly and were eyeing the garage....once they saw me, they sped up & left.....kinda pissed me off   :RantExplode:

I don't think it was Cooter....these guys were in a mid-70's Ford van...  :D

TUFCAT

Quote from: A383Wing on August 26, 2013, 10:47:30 PM

I don't think it was Cooter....these guys were in a mid-70's Ford van...  :D

Cooter doesn't own vehicles newer than the 80's.... so maybe it was him! :scratchchin:    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Troy

Sorry to hear Dave! I have heard some stories about random people showing up. I'm not sure how I would react to someone at my door asking about a car - especially if it were hidden/not visible from the road. I get a little worried when people stop by when the cars *are* visible.

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 25, 2013, 03:20:44 PM
Sorry that had to happen.  I will say though that if someone does have your name, they can find your exact location of residence on the net.
You can find *a* residence but it may not be mine and you won't see my cars there.

Quote from: Homerr on August 25, 2013, 07:38:23 PM

2.  Devil/Ryan Brutt
3.  The forum/moderators

I will have to totally disagree with you on #3. Every member of a forum is responsible for their own posts. Moderators keep people in line according to the Terms of Service and what is considered "acceptable" behavior for the particular forum. As a site owner, it is only up to me to provide a place for discussion - NOT to keep people from doing something stupid/inadvisable. It's called personal responsibility! If I were to be held liable/accountable for anything that anyone else posted this site would cease to exist immediately. I can't police every word/thought from every member 24 hours per day and, legally, I don't have to. Do we try to "do the right thing"? Yes, but if we don't do anything then that's as much as can be expected. Sometimes it's better to do nothing than step into something you have no business being in.

It's very easy to see other forum members as "family", trust them, and treat the forum as a private conversation and not the global, public bulletin board that it is. Not everyone who sees your posts is trustworthy - and certainly not a friend.

Which brings up a good opportunity to point out something else: you can't delete from the internet! Even if some bit of information is removed from a web site it is unlikely that it has disappeared forever. On a high traffic site like this one (or the one in question above), search engines continuously index and record every new item. If you can't find something that you know was on a site it's relatively easy to find the "cached" version elsewhere. Be careful about what you put out there if you ever think there will ever be a reason you'll want to "take it back". This happens a lot in divorce cases. Don't post about where you hid the cash/cars/jewels or about your two-bit cheating partner *before* the final papers are signed. Lawyers know exactly how to dig this stuff back up from the grave.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparguy01

i agree in this case i would be irritated with what happened as well.

However I would like to point out, that in years past I have made many good friends from driving by and seeing someone working on something cool in the garage and approaching them and shooting the shit.  Granted that was quite a few years ago since I've done that. Now  I'd probably get shot.

Bandit72

Ive had something fairly similar happen, was out working in the yard one day when the guy who checks the oil wells on the property behind mine pulls up, i didn't think much of it...i usually have older gents pull up and talk about whatever various project is pulled out of the weeds at that time. (I tinker with alot of antique farm equipment) anyways...first words out of his mouth..."how much for your ol charger?"  :eek2: I ask him what he's talking about, and he continues to say "that ol black charger you got...would you be interested in selling it?" by now i'm starting to get alittle hot around the collar and ask him multiple times how he knows about it and the only thing he could think of was that he saw it through the garage door one day while it was open...  :icon_smile_angry: I proceed to tell him that it is not and has never been in the "garage" its stored in the old barn, and hasn't been outside since i've moved here! I politely told him that if i ever caught him on my property again that he and a certain .38 special were going to have a very one sided conversation....he left and as far as i know hasn't even been back to check on the oil wells back there  :scratchchin:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....