News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

removing vinyl top...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 25, 2013, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

when my car was being rebuilt I had the hood repainted the same color all around and then put the vinly top on.  

So my question is would the top look the same  if I removed the vinly top and cleaned it up or rusted up etc?  Going for a different look I guess... modern 20x10 rims and 18x8 in fronts with vinly top just dont look right to me.

Tilar

If it has good paint on it and the vinyl has no holes in it, you could probably just clean the glue off and be good to go, And if it's not "good to go" so to speak, it was time to get that top back off and get the rust fixed anyway.   :Twocents:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

1974dodgecharger

i still have pics when we painted it and i remember we painted the whole car the same and clear coated the top also with one spray I believe.  Im afraid to take it off and see crap under there.....sometimes I dont want to dive too much into the car because it will become another 'project' and never be on the road again  :rotz:

74Rallye

My vinyl was only showing cracks when I replaced it. I think it was just in time to avoid major problems. I also painted the roof before putting the new vinyl on.

Iceyone

It kind of depends on what kind of exposure your car has seen with the elements. I've seen some cars that after had been painted and a new vinyl roof put on, the roof had rusted out anyway from improperly prepping the roof. From what I've been led to believe your normal paint is not good enough for application under vinyl.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

Lord Warlock

depends on how long the top sat on it since the last time you put it on.  Getting the glue off will likely be a chore not easily done without refinihing the roof panel. 
My vinyl top was the first thing i took off, almost 21 years ago, did it because i could feel and see a nickel sized protrusion under the vinyl, was just a bubble of rust almost in the exact same spot as the pic shown above, glad i did, the top survived intact.  And only last year got a brand new vinyl top installed.  Some cars look better without a vinyl top, but others look better,  the charger in particular tends to look a little better with a top on (IMO) just a bit more retro for me i guess.  I ground it clean, treated it with POR15 over/and under(inside) then primered and painted mine.  Mine won't be rusting any time soon. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Lord Warlock on August 26, 2013, 10:44:42 PM
depends on how long the top sat on it since the last time you put it on.  Getting the glue off will likely be a chore not easily done without refinihing the roof panel. 
My vinyl top was the first thing i took off, almost 21 years ago, did it because i could feel and see a nickel sized protrusion under the vinyl, was just a bubble of rust almost in the exact same spot as the pic shown above, glad i did, the top survived intact.  And only last year got a brand new vinyl top installed.  Some cars look better without a vinyl top, but others look better,  the charger in particular tends to look a little better with a top on (IMO) just a bit more retro for me i guess.  I ground it clean, treated it with POR15 over/and under(inside) then primered and painted mine.  Mine won't be rusting any time soon. 

LW,

Its been roughly 4 years since I last put it on.....I was hoping if I remove the top and clean it up that the paint still looks good as the paint on the car now. Then again I realized I would have to fill in the holes for the chrome trimming for the vinly if I was remove it....

DadsCharger00

funny....you're taking your top off.....hm....and I'm thinking of putting mine on!  :cheers:

Lord Warlock

When i took mine off the glue was so difficult to get off i ended up sanding it off with an orbital sander, then again i didn't try any solvents like goo gone which would have been worthwhile trying.  True you'd have to fill in the trim holes, or weld them shut which is more work than i'd want to do just to get the vinyl free look. But 4 year old glue probably comes off easier, I watched my top guy install mine, there is enough glue coating that would ensure a tough time getting it off.  Either way, i'm sure you'll do what makes you happy. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Charger440RDN

If the top feels crunchy when you touch it you have a problem. I a had a car with a rusty roof under the vinyl and when I took the top off, rusted pieces of the roof came off with it.

Dino

Just carefully remove the top.  If the roof looks like it won't shine, put the top back.  no loss but some time and glue.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Dino on August 28, 2013, 06:55:21 AM
Just carefully remove the top.  If the roof looks like it won't shine, put the top back.  no loss but some time and glue.

hmm...good point dino i could always put her back on if i slowly peel her back and peak under there....

Dino

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 28, 2013, 08:09:05 AM
Quote from: Dino on August 28, 2013, 06:55:21 AM

hmm...good point dino i could always put her back on if i slowly peel her back and peak under there....

I'd remove the rear window, as it's the easier of the two, and start peeling the top back a ways so you can make sure it'll work before you remove the windshield.  Do not, under any circumstance, cut the top at the windshield gasket and leave it like that.  That's a moisture trap if I've ever seen one. 

Keep us posted! 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.