News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Underside of a 500

Started by C500, August 24, 2013, 04:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

I'll be painting the underside of the 500 very soon. She's been sitting in primer a few weeks now and I have the F8 on hand. She'll be finished with underseal.

Would the factory have painted the underside body color before applying underseal? Or did they just underseal over the primer? I never saw it as it was sandblasted before I had a chance to check.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

62 Max

No body color on the bottom of anything,only primer .

hemi68charger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the question more like "Did the body undersealer get applied after the car was painted or before?". I personally have never seen an original paint car in which the undercoating had paint on it too down there. It is my impression the car was painted first, then undercoating applied..........  Of course, the car post-paint would have had the primer bottom with color overspray. Most of this transition would have been covered with cars with undercoating........ No?

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

62 Max

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 24, 2013, 07:51:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the question more like "Did the body undersealer get applied after the car was painted or before?". I personally have never seen an original paint car in which the undercoating had paint on it too down there. It is my impression the car was painted first, then undercoating applied..........  Of course, the car post-paint would have had the primer bottom with color overspray. Most of this transition would have been covered with cars with undercoating........ No?

That would be correct.

C500

My question was for cars that got underseal, did they bother painting underneath first or just underseal straight over the primer to finish the underbelly. I wasn't thinking there was then paint put over the undersealer, just whether or not the underseal had color under it. You've answered my question guys, thanks for the replies  :cheers: It seems the only time a car got body color underneath is when there was no underseal applied (excepting for a little overspray around edges of a car destined for undersealer).
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on August 24, 2013, 03:33:20 PM

My question was for cars that got underseal, did they bother painting underneath first or just underseal straight over the primer to finish the underbelly. I wasn't thinking there was then paint put over the undersealer, just whether or not the underseal had color under it. You've answered my question guys, thanks for the replies  :cheers: It seems the only time a car got body color underneath is when there was no underseal applied (excepting for a little overspray around edges of a car destined for undersealer).

Cars with and without the underseal would have been painted the same way, they were all painted first............. The only difference between the cars with and without the underseal is the underseal itself..... The only paint on the underside would have been the overspray from the application of the paint at the lower edges.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

roger440

And as i understand it, underseal was applied after the car was completed.
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester