News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many people are in the market for reproduction grilles?

Started by Supercharged Riot, August 16, 2013, 06:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many people are in the market for reproduction grilles?

Yes! I need a new one!
29 (69%)
No. There's plenty out there
1 (2.4%)
I'd rather fix mine. Its still in decent shape
12 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Fred

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 21, 2013, 02:59:50 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 21, 2013, 02:11:14 AM
Congrats for rewording and repeating everything that Bull posted.

Is that a joke? I'm the one that first said the saying was meaningless in this thread (I also said it a day ago on an unrelated forum), and when I replied to you, I replied specifically to your odd and senseless claim concerning "rational buying decisions". I didn't "reword and repeat" anything from anyone. You seem to spend a lot of time out in deep left field. How's the weather out there this morning?

QuoteI would hardly consider any old saying as meaningless in todays' day and age.  Lessons can clearly be learned from the elders.

A saying that, strictly speaking, is almost never true, is meaningless; i.e., it has no real world value as an adage, warning, rule, rule of thumb, guide, axiom, truism, or what have you.

Quote from: Fred on August 21, 2013, 02:23:00 AM

Me too.      And I didn't know  God was into manufacturing.  :icon_smile_big:   :nana:

Who said that he was? I said that he's not sitting up in the sky making sure that every price tag on every item for sale on Earth is precisely commensurate with its level of quality, and neither is anyone or anything else doing so. People selling things can arbitrarily ask any price they want, which may or may not be commensurate with the item's level of quality.

LMAO.    :smilielol:   That was very entertaining. I enjoyed it immensely.
And you're right, you didn't say God was into manufacturing...........When you're right, you're right..........I grant you that.   :icon_smile_big:
I'm going now. Catch up with you again tomorrow.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 21, 2013, 02:59:50 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 21, 2013, 02:11:14 AM
Congrats for rewording and repeating everything that Bull posted.

Is that a joke? I'm the one that first said the saying was meaningless in this thread (I also said it a day ago on an unrelated forum), and when I replied to you, I replied specifically to your odd and senseless claim concerning "rational buying decisions". I didn't "reword and repeat" anything from anyone. You seem to spend a lot of time out in deep left field. How's the weather out there this morning?

It's a joke only if your laughing.

As far as the weather, it's great.  Heck of a lot better than the dugout.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Fred on August 21, 2013, 03:07:43 AM
And you're right, you didn't say God was into manufacturing...........When you're right, you're right..........I grant you that.   :icon_smile_big:

That doesn't answer the question: "Who said he was?" You must've thought that someone said that God was into manufacturing.

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 21, 2013, 03:20:23 AM

It's a joke only if your laughing.

Did you intend it to be a joke or was it another gaffe?

Fred

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 21, 2013, 03:34:59 AM
Quote from: Fred on August 21, 2013, 03:07:43 AM

That doesn't answer the question: "Who said he was?" You must've thought that someone said that God was into manufacturing.

Can you give me a clue? I'm at a loss.  :shruggy:

Hang on........was it bull?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Wait, so God is re-popping parts now? Dang, I guess the Quality must be up there. Maybe he can make sure we get a good grille cheaply. He doesn't need to make any money off it at least, and that's good for those whinning about how expensive it will be.

Are the "Betty Boop Floor mats" made in China too?? I thought God had the corner market on those as well being they are so cheap. :scratchchin:  
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Cooter on August 21, 2013, 05:49:11 AM
Wait, so God is re-popping parts now? Dang, I guess the Quality must be up there. Maybe he can make sure we get a good grille cheaply. He doesn't need to make any money off it at least, and that's good for those whinning about how expensive it will be.  

Who said that God is doing anything? One thing that he (or anyone else) obviously isn't doing has been pointed out. Your attempt at humor might make sense if it was based on having read the thread properly.

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Troy

Gah, I can't read all this. BUT, I have a few points any way...

1. The repro consoles sold by Tony's Parts are plastic. Over time the molds have started to deteriorate so the early ones are prettier and fit better. Once upon a time someone made fiberglass ones but they're gone as far as I know.

2. Bobfist only has 69 center sections. Nothing else. Not at all helpful to someone like me with a garage full of 68 Chargers.

3. 68-69 Charger grill reproduction (plastic pieces only) has been taken on by more than one company and all have halted. There isn't a favorable cost/benefit ratio and no one wants to take that kind of loss in this economy. I know at least one (incomplete) set of dies does exist but the cost to start production is very high. A while back I looked into making a product for our cars. The minimum order (for me, not a big player) would have been over 700 parts. My projected market was about 1/10th of that and, in order to make a profit, I'd have to sell each part for almost triple what people would pay. I am not the only one to face this exact scenario. Places like BE&A can make small batches of parts that no one else can touch because they own all aspects of production from the bottom up. The cost to tool up a complete Charger grill (including year specific vacuum pods) would be astronomical.

4. Since the grill is one of, if not *the* most prominent and most recognized parts on our cars I could see spending a big chunk of cash on one. I've purchased repairable grills for anywhere from $500-700 so a brand spanking new one that's already painted wouldn't be an issue for me at $1,000-1,200. I'd reuse one of mine if the price was much above $1,500. For a complete grill - including all the metal parts and mechanicals - I'd certainly go higher. However, as I mentioned above, that doesn't leave any room for profit. Those of you who dream of $300 complete grills will be sorely disappointed if one ever comes to market (at least in the near future).

5. I agree with Mike above - if it can't be a near-exact reproduction then the project should be canned. The people who are willing to pay the big bucks won't touch one and it will still be overpriced for everyone else. A failure before launch.

6. If you're waiting for an American made product at an affordable price then you should go ahead and sell your Charger now. There's almost zero chance that this project will even be contemplated using US manufacturing. The numbers are already well into the red without massively increasing production costs.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

The problem is that people want all or nothing. I still believe there could be a sustainable market for just the 68-69 headlight surrounds.

JB400

I would have to agree.  Not too many center sections get beat up.  There are exceptions.

Sorry on my part for the hi jack Troy and everyone else

tan top

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 21, 2013, 03:11:41 PM
I would have to agree.  Not too many center sections get beat up.  There are exceptions.

Sorry on my part for the hi jack Troy and everyone else

yeah true  :yesnod: :cheers:,   would say that for 68s & 70s , but on a 69 unless the car has been restored , you almost / nearly / more often than not ,  see a damaged centre section   **** ((((( having said that the next 200 chargers on ebay unrestored will have perfect centre sections now  :slap: :lol:)))  *** either cracked or chunks of plastic missing , prolly why there are soo few good used ones about  :yesnod: :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html