News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel line install...help!

Started by Dino, August 22, 2013, 10:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I posted this in my other thread but I need more eyes on this before I ruin my brand new lines...

What is the procedure to install the steel (not SS) fuel and return line?  I currently have the 3/8 line over the axle so either I bend the heck out of the line to get it through the crossmember or I need another strategy...please tell me there's a way to do this.   :icon_smile_big:

The car is up high enough but unfortunately I kept hitting the wall next to the passenger side so I removed the window (don't ask) to give me more room to play.  So  a part of the line is currently sticking out the window and I don't think I'm gonna get far with it this way.   :lol:

I'm going to try to remove the over axle exhaust pipe but it's so rusted it likely won't budge.  The shock has been removed so at least I have a bit more room.

I just realized...I have the stands under the axle, is that why I can't fit them?  Does the axle need to go down as far as possible to succeed in this?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

I posted detailed pics somewhere on here on the fuel line routing.......I'll try and find the post.

Dino

Quote from: maxwellwedge on August 22, 2013, 11:00:04 AM
I posted detailed pics somewhere on here on the fuel line routing.......I'll try and find the post.

I just found it!  I'm ready to lower the axle, if that's not the solution it will be part of it.  Jack stands are best placed under the front hanger of the leaf springs correct?

maxwellwedge

Yes - or under the frame rails at the back of the car in a gussetted area if the stands are in the way.

Dino

I placed them under the front hangers, the shape of the stand top was perfect for this.  Axle is currently at its lowest point with a jack supporting the weight.  I need to run an errand but it looks like this should go in a bit easier now.  I'll post back once I figure out how to do this so others can benefit from this as well.

Thanks for the help!   :cheers:

maxwellwedge

Dino

I should never work on the car expecting everything will go flawlessly.  I know this, yet...

I also shouldn't do any work when it's pushing 90 and the sun is on the car.  Yet I did...

After the stands were under the hangers I dropped the axle, unbolted the rear ps exhaust tip hanger and that gave me the room to install the line.  When I held the new line against the old, they looked real similar.  Once you need that line to hug the frame, things change a bit.  After coming p with some new swear words, I was finally able to bend the line so it fits the entire frame real snug.  The back part however didn't feel convinced enough so I had a heck of a time bending and fitting the line until it finally laid were it needed to.  Before this I could get one clip in place, one.  Now they all fit without tension.  Of course this came at a price as I kinked the line.  Yeah....

Seeing this car ran fine with a 5/16 line, I don't think the small kink is going to give me trouble.  It's not that flat after all and it didn't crack.  If it does turn out to be an issue I can either get a new line (from a different company) or cut the bend out and slip a hose over it.  Whatever.

I'm done for the day, tomorrow is supposed to be cooler so I'll fit the return line and start putting it all back together.

I have posted this in my progress thread as well and I'll keep it all there from now on.