News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gasoline to electric conversion on a 68-70 Charger

Started by Charger440RDN, August 21, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger440RDN

With all of this talk about Tesla Motors lately, I was wondering if anyone has seen a 68-70 Charger completely converted from gasoline engine to electric battery power?

JB400

Give it time, I'm sure a member here will do it sooner rather than later :D

Kern Dog

As soon as you hear about it, send me an email so I can kick the guy in the crotch.

Mike DC

Just wait until electrics are kicking our cars' asses at the dragstrips.  

(Yes, it will happen.  You can't argue with the pure physics.)

I won't mind seeing a 2nd-gen Charger electric conversion playing in the game then.  

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 22, 2013, 01:31:36 AM

There are electric cars that can already do that to any classic Dodge Charger that still has stock performance. For example:

2013 Tesla Model S Performance (310 kW)    0-60 mph 3.9    Quarter Mile 12.4

That's faster than a 426 Hemi Charger of any year; faster even than the 1969½ A12 Road Runners and Super Bees. A 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart or Barracuda would still smoke it though.

JB400

Get an example from the people driving Prius's at every stoplight. ::)  Those are also the same people driving 80 on the interstate.

Bob T

I remember reading about some electric drag racing car club a while back, they would routinely knock off sub 10 passes. Good on them, the engineering disciplines and dedication mean the same to Gearheads/Petrolheads -its all about getting to the other end the quickest.

My sister's ex partner is an electrical engineer, he has converted two vehicles to electric and charges them off his solar setup. One car, the test mule was a 90's Toyota supra, the other is a late model Aussie Holden crewman.
He was the first guy I ever net that would collect the waste cooking oil from takeaway bars and convert it into diesel for his pickup truck
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 01:48:48 AM
Get an example from the people driving Prius's at every stoplight. ::) 

Why? My reply was about "electric cars at the dragstrip", not about "Prius's at every stoplight". I appreciate the effort you took to move the goalpost though.

JB400

If I understood the topic correctly, I believe it was mentioned about how fast electric cars can accelerate.  I was merely just stating the fact that drivers of Prius's in my area are usually pretty quick to give me a reminder of how quick they can accelerate from a stoplight.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 02:45:46 AM
If I understood the topic correctly, I believe it was mentioned about how fast electric cars can accelerate.  I was merely just stating the fact that drivers of Prius's in my area are usually pretty quick to give me a reminder of how quick they can accelerate from a stoplight.

I see. I didn't even know a Prius could accelerate quickly, though those Teslas certainly can. They are limited to a top speed of about 125 though, because they run out of gear, and they only have one gear.

JB400

It can get off the line quick, but loses at top end.  0-60 is around 10.7 seconds.  V6 Challenger does the same in 6.8 seconds.  Although the car itself isn't a top performer, I think it has more to do with the driver than it does the car.  As a driver, I tend to take it easy on the pedal whereas Prius drivers tend to floor it.

myk

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 03:22:23 AM
It can get off the line quick, but loses at top end.  0-60 is around 10.7 seconds.  V6 Challenger does the same in 6.8 seconds.  Although the car itself isn't a top performer, I think it has more to do with the driver than it does the car.  As a driver, I tend to take it easy on the pedal whereas Prius drivers tend to floor it.

Well of course!  Prius/hybrid drivers are an enlightened group of drivers who are substantially BETTER than we gas burning, oil consuming neanderthals...

six-tee-nine

Not exactly a Charger, but i have read an article about a guy that converted a MkI volkswagen rabbit convertible to a full electric drive.
Looks were like the original. It was powered by twin electric motors wich only produced slightly more power than a stock gasoline engine.
But the setup made like a boatload of torque from almost 0 rpm. The guy could still smoke his tires at 50mph....dont see that often.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

Some rich guy might do it for bragging rights, but when all I hear is complaining about repro grille prices, I don't see it catching on I don't care how fast electrics are. Right now, I see them like 426hemis.   Wow factor and that's all.

I'd be interested in a comparison between the cost of electric vs gas.
I have a feeling it will be like a 440 vs building a hemi, or port fuel injection vs a carb set up.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 01:43:12 AM

There are electric cars that can already do that to any classic Dodge Charger that still has stock performance. For example:

2013 Tesla Model S Performance (310 kW)    0-60 mph 3.9    Quarter Mile 12.4

That's faster than a 426 Hemi Charger of any year; faster even than the 1969½ A12 Road Runners and Super Bees. A 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart or Barracuda would still smoke it though.

interesting ,  wonder how much these electric cars weigh though & I bet through cut through the air better , unlike our second generation  two  ton give or take  XP & XS chargers with Barn door aero dynamics & parachute front grill  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Baldwinvette77

I've been to a few tesla service stations, the entire chassis is filled with rows of batteries and the mechanics wear haz-mat suits to avoid being electrocuted to death... no offence but i'll stick with gasoline until the bitter end... then consider electric  :lol:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: tan top on August 22, 2013, 05:41:53 AM

interesting ,  wonder how much these electric cars weigh though & I bet through cut through the air better , unlike our second generation  two  ton give or take  XP & XS chargers with Barn door aero dynamics & parachute front grill  :yesnod:

They weigh as much or more than Chrysler C-barges:

Tesla Model S - Curb weight - 2,108 kg (4,647.3 lb)

The entire floor from bumper to bumper is packed with batteries (thousands of battery cells); heavy as hell. But yeah, I don't doubt that they're far more aerodynamic than a classic Dodge Charger. However, the Daytona was a lot more aerodynamic than the standard Charger, and it wasn't much (if any?) faster than the equivalent standard Charger in the quarter mile (much better body style for speeds exceeding 150 MPH though).

Charger440RDN

It's good to know that if oil runs out  ::) we have other options for classic cars.

Chargen69

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 22, 2013, 09:51:32 AM
It's good to know that if oil runs out  ::) we have other options for classic cars.

We already have that with CNG

tan top

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 07:11:54 AM
Quote from: tan top on August 22, 2013, 05:41:53 AM

interesting ,  wonder how much these electric cars weigh though & I bet through cut through the air better , unlike our second generation  two  ton give or take  XP & XS chargers with Barn door aero dynamics & parachute front grill  :yesnod:

They weigh as much or more than Chrysler C-barges:

Tesla Model S - Curb weight - 2,108 kg (4,647.3 lb)

The entire floor from bumper to bumper is packed with batteries (thousands of battery cells); heavy as hell. But yeah, I don't doubt that they're far more aerodynamic than a classic Dodge Charger. However, the Daytona was a lot more aerodynamic than the standard Charger, and it wasn't much (if any?) faster than the equivalent standard Charger in the quarter mile (much better body style for speeds exceeding 150 MPH though).

:o  crikey never knew that , thanks for the info  :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers:
:scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Homerr

You'll have to wait until a totaled Tesla is cheap enough to buy for the conversion before you see this.

Mike DC

Electric sports cars only have a weight problem if you insist that they have a long enough range for a commuter.  Sacrifice the range, ditch a big portion of the batteries, and they become fast as hell without being heavy.

We call gasoline powered drag cars "streetable" when they have loose converters, idle terribly, can't keep vacuum for their power brake booster, foul spark plugs like it's funny, bog at low RPM, shift so roughly the tires chirp, require hi-octane gas that's hard to find . . . these are basically just short range cars too.    

XS29L

I'm sure it can be done , but I like the sound of dual exhaust or open headers. Not the sound of big cordless drill.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Charger440RDN

Quote from: XS29L on August 22, 2013, 08:18:45 PM
I'm sure it can be done , but I like the sound of dual exhaust or open headers. Not the sound of big cordless drill.

I wonder if they can come up with a way to make it sound like it has a real engine under the hood and an exhaust, an elaborate exterior speaker system maybe?   :shruggy: :lol: