News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gasoline to electric conversion on a 68-70 Charger

Started by Charger440RDN, August 21, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger440RDN

With all of this talk about Tesla Motors lately, I was wondering if anyone has seen a 68-70 Charger completely converted from gasoline engine to electric battery power?

JB400

Give it time, I'm sure a member here will do it sooner rather than later :D

Kern Dog

As soon as you hear about it, send me an email so I can kick the guy in the crotch.

Mike DC

Just wait until electrics are kicking our cars' asses at the dragstrips.  

(Yes, it will happen.  You can't argue with the pure physics.)

I won't mind seeing a 2nd-gen Charger electric conversion playing in the game then.  

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 22, 2013, 01:31:36 AM

There are electric cars that can already do that to any classic Dodge Charger that still has stock performance. For example:

2013 Tesla Model S Performance (310 kW)    0-60 mph 3.9    Quarter Mile 12.4

That's faster than a 426 Hemi Charger of any year; faster even than the 1969½ A12 Road Runners and Super Bees. A 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart or Barracuda would still smoke it though.

JB400

Get an example from the people driving Prius's at every stoplight. ::)  Those are also the same people driving 80 on the interstate.

Bob T

I remember reading about some electric drag racing car club a while back, they would routinely knock off sub 10 passes. Good on them, the engineering disciplines and dedication mean the same to Gearheads/Petrolheads -its all about getting to the other end the quickest.

My sister's ex partner is an electrical engineer, he has converted two vehicles to electric and charges them off his solar setup. One car, the test mule was a 90's Toyota supra, the other is a late model Aussie Holden crewman.
He was the first guy I ever net that would collect the waste cooking oil from takeaway bars and convert it into diesel for his pickup truck
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 01:48:48 AM
Get an example from the people driving Prius's at every stoplight. ::) 

Why? My reply was about "electric cars at the dragstrip", not about "Prius's at every stoplight". I appreciate the effort you took to move the goalpost though.

JB400

If I understood the topic correctly, I believe it was mentioned about how fast electric cars can accelerate.  I was merely just stating the fact that drivers of Prius's in my area are usually pretty quick to give me a reminder of how quick they can accelerate from a stoplight.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 02:45:46 AM
If I understood the topic correctly, I believe it was mentioned about how fast electric cars can accelerate.  I was merely just stating the fact that drivers of Prius's in my area are usually pretty quick to give me a reminder of how quick they can accelerate from a stoplight.

I see. I didn't even know a Prius could accelerate quickly, though those Teslas certainly can. They are limited to a top speed of about 125 though, because they run out of gear, and they only have one gear.

JB400

It can get off the line quick, but loses at top end.  0-60 is around 10.7 seconds.  V6 Challenger does the same in 6.8 seconds.  Although the car itself isn't a top performer, I think it has more to do with the driver than it does the car.  As a driver, I tend to take it easy on the pedal whereas Prius drivers tend to floor it.

myk

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 03:22:23 AM
It can get off the line quick, but loses at top end.  0-60 is around 10.7 seconds.  V6 Challenger does the same in 6.8 seconds.  Although the car itself isn't a top performer, I think it has more to do with the driver than it does the car.  As a driver, I tend to take it easy on the pedal whereas Prius drivers tend to floor it.

Well of course!  Prius/hybrid drivers are an enlightened group of drivers who are substantially BETTER than we gas burning, oil consuming neanderthals...

six-tee-nine

Not exactly a Charger, but i have read an article about a guy that converted a MkI volkswagen rabbit convertible to a full electric drive.
Looks were like the original. It was powered by twin electric motors wich only produced slightly more power than a stock gasoline engine.
But the setup made like a boatload of torque from almost 0 rpm. The guy could still smoke his tires at 50mph....dont see that often.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

Some rich guy might do it for bragging rights, but when all I hear is complaining about repro grille prices, I don't see it catching on I don't care how fast electrics are. Right now, I see them like 426hemis.   Wow factor and that's all.

I'd be interested in a comparison between the cost of electric vs gas.
I have a feeling it will be like a 440 vs building a hemi, or port fuel injection vs a carb set up.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 01:43:12 AM

There are electric cars that can already do that to any classic Dodge Charger that still has stock performance. For example:

2013 Tesla Model S Performance (310 kW)    0-60 mph 3.9    Quarter Mile 12.4

That's faster than a 426 Hemi Charger of any year; faster even than the 1969½ A12 Road Runners and Super Bees. A 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart or Barracuda would still smoke it though.

interesting ,  wonder how much these electric cars weigh though & I bet through cut through the air better , unlike our second generation  two  ton give or take  XP & XS chargers with Barn door aero dynamics & parachute front grill  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Baldwinvette77

I've been to a few tesla service stations, the entire chassis is filled with rows of batteries and the mechanics wear haz-mat suits to avoid being electrocuted to death... no offence but i'll stick with gasoline until the bitter end... then consider electric  :lol:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: tan top on August 22, 2013, 05:41:53 AM

interesting ,  wonder how much these electric cars weigh though & I bet through cut through the air better , unlike our second generation  two  ton give or take  XP & XS chargers with Barn door aero dynamics & parachute front grill  :yesnod:

They weigh as much or more than Chrysler C-barges:

Tesla Model S - Curb weight - 2,108 kg (4,647.3 lb)

The entire floor from bumper to bumper is packed with batteries (thousands of battery cells); heavy as hell. But yeah, I don't doubt that they're far more aerodynamic than a classic Dodge Charger. However, the Daytona was a lot more aerodynamic than the standard Charger, and it wasn't much (if any?) faster than the equivalent standard Charger in the quarter mile (much better body style for speeds exceeding 150 MPH though).

Charger440RDN

It's good to know that if oil runs out  ::) we have other options for classic cars.

Chargen69

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 22, 2013, 09:51:32 AM
It's good to know that if oil runs out  ::) we have other options for classic cars.

We already have that with CNG

tan top

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 07:11:54 AM
Quote from: tan top on August 22, 2013, 05:41:53 AM

interesting ,  wonder how much these electric cars weigh though & I bet through cut through the air better , unlike our second generation  two  ton give or take  XP & XS chargers with Barn door aero dynamics & parachute front grill  :yesnod:

They weigh as much or more than Chrysler C-barges:

Tesla Model S - Curb weight - 2,108 kg (4,647.3 lb)

The entire floor from bumper to bumper is packed with batteries (thousands of battery cells); heavy as hell. But yeah, I don't doubt that they're far more aerodynamic than a classic Dodge Charger. However, the Daytona was a lot more aerodynamic than the standard Charger, and it wasn't much (if any?) faster than the equivalent standard Charger in the quarter mile (much better body style for speeds exceeding 150 MPH though).

:o  crikey never knew that , thanks for the info  :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers:
:scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Homerr

You'll have to wait until a totaled Tesla is cheap enough to buy for the conversion before you see this.

Mike DC

Electric sports cars only have a weight problem if you insist that they have a long enough range for a commuter.  Sacrifice the range, ditch a big portion of the batteries, and they become fast as hell without being heavy.

We call gasoline powered drag cars "streetable" when they have loose converters, idle terribly, can't keep vacuum for their power brake booster, foul spark plugs like it's funny, bog at low RPM, shift so roughly the tires chirp, require hi-octane gas that's hard to find . . . these are basically just short range cars too.    

XS29L

I'm sure it can be done , but I like the sound of dual exhaust or open headers. Not the sound of big cordless drill.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Charger440RDN

Quote from: XS29L on August 22, 2013, 08:18:45 PM
I'm sure it can be done , but I like the sound of dual exhaust or open headers. Not the sound of big cordless drill.

I wonder if they can come up with a way to make it sound like it has a real engine under the hood and an exhaust, an elaborate exterior speaker system maybe?   :shruggy: :lol:

lukedukem

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 22, 2013, 08:31:31 PM

I wonder if they can come up with a way to make it sound like it has a real engine under the hood and an exhaust, an elaborate exterior speaker system maybe?   :shruggy: :lol:

They did in that movie The Dilemma with Vince Vaughn and Kevin James. It was a four door charger and it sounded good. YouTube it

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

ws23rt

I wondered the same thing. With the current high power sound systems they could make it sound like a locomotive under full power. Or the mind could wander about this. Kinda like cell phone ring tones.  :o

myk

MaximRecoil

It could definitely be done with speakers (that's the only way it could be done, without adding a gasoline engine solely for the sound effect), and they definitely have plenty of juice to power them (far more juice than a regular car has available), though it would rob you of range, because the batteries would be drained quicker.

A good sounding muscle car or sports car exhaust silences the high frequencies, allowing only the lower, more powerful sounding frequencies to be heard. So you'd need a big subwoofer, and of course a large amplifier to power it. Since a high degree of sound quality (i.e., "sound quality" referring to the accuracy of sound reproduction over the speaker's frequency range; the flatter the frequency response, the higher the "sound quality") isn't needed for something like this, you could just go with something that can move a hell of a lot of air relative to its size and power input, such as a 15" Kicker Solo-Baric L7 powered by a 2 kilowatt class D amplifier. This setup alone could move enough air to rattle the rearview mirror of the car next to you, to say nothing of your own mirror.

A good sounding exhaust also contains some midrange frequencies that a subwoofer can't reproduce with any significant volume, so a good choice for that would be a midrange horn-loaded compression driver, which can put out outrageous levels of sound with relevatively little power input (i.e., they are very efficient). You would only need a 100 or 200 watt class A/B amplifier for this.

The sub-bass frequencies that a subwoofer reproduces penetrates solid objects rather well, so you could have the subwoofer enclosed in the vehicle. The midrange driver would need to have its horn exposed to the outside though, which is okay, because the horn usually has a rectangular-shaped opening like many exhaust tips have, so it could be chromed to look like an exhaust tip (and compression drivers are what's normally used for outdoor PA systems anyway). You could use two of them for "dual exhaust".

The audio source couldn't be a recording, it would have to be a real-time audio generator of some sort, that is wired in with the throttle, and is programmed to increase in tempo as the throttle is pressed, to simulate the sound effect of increasing engine RPMs (easy to do with the right hardware/software; they do it in car racing videogames all the time, where the "throttle" is the button or analog trigger/stick on your gamepad).

Mike DC

Guys, it's already been done. 

Some modern (fully gasoline powered) BMWs have an engine revving noise piped in through the sound system when you are revving the engine hard. 

I dunno why.  Maybe they wanted engine noise on command without giving up the soundproofed ultra-quiet cabin.

ACUDANUT

Why not run them on Natural gas or Propane.
We could always go back to steam engines too.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 01:48:48 AM
Get an example from the people driving Prius's at every stoplight. ::)  Those are also the same people driving 80 on the interstate.

happens here in phoenix alot thos prius drivers always in a hurry hitting 90 on the 10 to pass people and in HOV lane.

Chargen69

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 23, 2013, 09:17:57 AM
Why not run them on Natural gas or Propane.
We could always go back to steam engines too.

are you comparing CNG to steam engines?  well, we have seriously looked at putting enough of a tank in the trunk of my 69 to more than run around town on CNG with a switch to go back to gasoline if I need to go out of town and dont find a CNG filling station.  way cheaper than gas and runs cleaner

ACUDANUT

Stevearino

Both my son and daughter have Prius's and I admire the technology that makes the possible. I hate the hybrid styling and have daydreamed about doing a re-body on one but the extreme high voltage warning signs all over the thing scared the crap out of me. I wouldn't want to learn about that car with my usual hunt and peck method. One wrong peck could fry you.

MaximRecoil

Steam engines make massive torque at all engine speeds. The old Stanley Steamer didn't even need a gear-reduction transmission; it was direct drive. A Stanley Steamer also reached 127 MPH in 1906.

I wonder what could be done today with a steam engine. The old ones were slow to get started because you had to get a big tank of water boiling first, but a more modern approach to that could possibly eliminate that problem, such as the way those tankless water heaters work, the small ones that you put under the faucet that only come on when the faucet is turned on, and heat the water going through the pipes in a few seconds.

I doubt there's a future for steam engines in cars though, because you still have to have a source of energy to heat the water, which could be gas, electric, coal, or whatever. Pure electric like the Tesla cars is probably the future. Currently Tesla is putting up solar-powered recharging stations across the country, claiming lifetime free recharges for Tesla owners. If idea lasts / catches on, it would probably seal the deal for electric cars being the future standard for automobiles.

ws23rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 23, 2013, 04:56:55 PM
Steam engine was a joke....Maybe :coolgleamA:

Howard Hughes wanted a steam powered car.  
It's been many years since I read the story but I recall it had to meet some criteria such as amount of water needed, how fast it responded from cold start, and distance range.
His hired engineers and builders told him it was not practical. Hughes had much money and insisted.
The car was built and in answering some questions from Hughes about the condensers. He was told that in order to meet required spec there were condensers in every conceivable space doors, fenders,floors, trunk,etc. So if I get in a small wreck I get scalded? ( or something to that effect).
He ordered the car be scrapped with out ever driving it.  Over a half million dollars spent.  (back in the day money)

I see some similarities in this story and the desire for an electric car.  One can want something but that desire is not enough.

We wanted electric cars since cars were invented. Batteries are better now but there is further improvement needed and one issue leads to another to make it useable, practical, and competitive.
So far the bugs are still holding it off except for the government contribution to lure buyers. (money taken from my back pocket without asking).

For some reason I am trying to imagine the giant ignition switch needed :shruggy:  Opps I got it  a relay  ::)
There may be something else?

Stevearino

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 23, 2013, 05:37:38 PM
Steam engines make massive torque at all engine speeds. The old Stanley Steamer didn't even need a gear-reduction transmission; it was direct drive. A Stanley Steamer also reached 127 MPH in 1906.

I wonder what could be done today with a steam engine. The old ones were slow to get started because you had to get a big tank of water boiling first, but a more modern approach to that could possibly eliminate that problem, such as the way those tankless water heaters work, the small ones that you put under the faucet that only come on when the faucet is turned on, and heat the water going through the pipes in a few seconds.

I doubt there's a future for steam engines in cars though, because you still have to have a source of energy to heat the water, which could be gas, electric, coal, or whatever. Pure electric like the Tesla cars is probably the future. Currently Tesla is putting up solar-powered recharging stations across the country, claiming lifetime free recharges for Tesla owners. If idea lasts / catches on, it would probably seal the deal for electric cars being the future standard for automobiles.
Tesla has a lot of good ideas but one of it's most innovative which is to sell cars directly to the public via the internet is meeting stiff opposition in some states such as my own N.C. With an all Republican legislature and Governor you would think they would be in favor of new competitive  free market ideas. But the auto dealers association has a lot of influence and they are now shepherding legislation to outlaw direct internet sales to protect their turf.

Mike DC

Electric cars will overcome their battery drawbacks when they stop trying to store large amounts of electricity.  It's not a temporary roadblock, it's the central limitation of the entire technology.  

After having over a century of development, batteries still haven't come within miles of the storage density of fossil fuels.  It's not a problem that we're going to beat in this generation or next.  If ever.  

Nothing beats a combustible liquid for storing large amounts of power in compact form that can be easily extracted and replenished.  Electric cars will get a decent operating range & power when they stop trying to store half a ton of batteries, and start carrying onboard gasoline engines to keep a small battery charged.

myk

Quote from: Stevearino on August 23, 2013, 05:29:31 PM
Both my son and daughter have Prius's and I admire the technology that makes the possible. I hate the hybrid styling and have daydreamed about doing a re-body on one but the extreme high voltage warning signs all over the thing scared the crap out of me. I wouldn't want to learn about that car with my usual hunt and peck method. One wrong peck could fry you.

Well you have to be specially qualified just to service one; my next door neighbor had to go to a variety of classes over a span of months just to be able to work on the Leaf at his dealership.

Personally, I don't think electric has any place in cars of passion, especially in cars like ours or others, such as muscle cars, exotics, etc.  Part of the thrill of driving a 60's muscle car or an exotic for example, is the internal combustion process; the look, the smell, the feel, the sounds-all of it, is essential to the visceral pleasure that car/performance enthusiasts like US can derive from driving a gasoline and oil powered and relatively PRIMITIVE machine.  If you take away the look, the smell and the feel of driving an internal combustion car that makes no compromises or excuses about itself to stay true to its passionate origins, then you're not seeing or understanding what these machines are about.  

Do I think electrics and hybrids are a good idea?  Of course I do, especially when we look at public transportation, commuting, cargo, etc-the need and the applications are endless and the benefits are immeasurable.  But when it comes to a '68 Charger R/T, a Ferrari F50, or any other vehicle like those, they should be left as intended: internal combustion-loud, illogical, impractical and dangerous in the wrong hands and damn proud of it.  Anything else is just freaking sacrilege...

mickelsdogs

QUITE a few years a go I actually spoke with Mr. Musk  He laughed. Said why? I asked how? The words upgrade were never thought of or mentioned. I guess my thinking then was small potatoes to him. Weight and battery space+ life, N how far N how fast, were the questions asked to me, must  "B" non automatic trans. car. His thoughs the were, and why fool with old junk. I AM the future watch me GROW is what he said.  Damn he is good. WE NEED HIM IN A MOPAR!!!!!!  

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on August 23, 2013, 06:06:33 PM
We wanted electric cars since cars were invented. Batteries are better now but there is further improvement needed and one issue leads to another to make it useable, practical, and competitive.
So far the bugs are still holding it off except for the government contribution to lure buyers. (money taken from my back pocket without asking).

Electric cars were common enough in the early 1900s that there were charging stations and battery trade-in services in cities such as NYC. The Baker electric car was popular (and there were also electric cars from Anthony Electric, Columbia, Anderson, Edison, Studebaker, Riker, and others) and they apparently used such high quality windings and other conductors/connections that they could practically go forever with little-to-no maintenance. Jay Leno has a Baker that still works fine, and he told the story of an old lady who drove one daily for many decades right up until she died somewhat recently. And speaking of ladies, that was one of their downfalls; i.e., they were perceived as a "woman's car". Incidentally, this is the same problem Marlboro cigarettes faced due to their marketing toward women and their "Mild as May" slogan - link - it wasn't until they decided to change their image with the [in]famous Marlboro Man ad campaign that they became popular.

QuoteFor some reason I am trying to imagine the giant ignition switch needed :shruggy:  Opps I got it  a relay  ::)
There may be something else?

You obviously would never run high-amp electric motors through a small switch like the ignition switch. When you turn the key on your car and the starter cranks the engine, do you think the massive current being drawn from the battery by the starter is going through your ignition switch? And the electric motor(s) that drive the wheels of an electric car draw far more current than a gasoline car's electric starter. So yes, you need relays/solenoids. The auto industry doesn't suffer from "relay phobia" like certain individuals do.

ws23rt

Quote from: myk on August 23, 2013, 06:48:40 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on August 23, 2013, 05:29:31 PM

Well you have to be specially qualified just to service one; my next door neighbor had to go to a variety of classes over a span of months just to be able to work on the Leaf at his dealership.

Personally, I don't think electric has any place in cars of passion, especially in cars like ours or others, such as muscle cars, exotics, etc.  Part of the thrill of driving a 60's muscle car or an exotic for example, is the internal combustion process; the look, the smell, the feel, the sounds-all of it, is essential to the visceral pleasure that car/performance enthusiasts like US can derive from driving a gasoline and oil powered and relatively PRIMITIVE machine.  If you take away the look, the smell and the feel of driving an internal combustion car that makes no compromises or excuses about itself to stay true to its passionate origins, then you're not seeing or understanding what these machines are about.  

Do I think electrics and hybrids are a good idea?  Of course I do, especially when we look at public transportation, commuting, cargo, etc-the need and the applications are endless and the benefits are immeasurable.  But when it comes to a '68 Charger R/T, a Ferrari F50, or any other vehicle like those, they should be left as intended: internal combustion-loud, illogical, impractical and dangerous in the wrong hands and damn proud of it.  Anything else is just freaking sacrilege...

Very well said and addresses several points at once.  Clearly    :2thumbs:

JB400

Well, electric cars didn't fade out at the turn of the 20th century because they were perceived as "Lady's cars"  Big oil had a bigger influence on that then manliness.   Gasoline could be had for mere pennies a gallon and be available everywhere, even at the corner drug store.  To charge your electric car, you had to have a rather large, noisy, and expensive generator outside your house.  Even then, the generator ran on gasoline.  The members of the households didn't like the generators, and neither did the neighbors.  They still had to buy gas, so why not just put it in the car directly?

It is only now that electric vehicles are coming around.  Only reason is because the cost of gas is getting closer to the cost of electricity.  We, as a society, are always going to drift to cheapest form of energy.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 23, 2013, 09:40:01 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 23, 2013, 09:30:28 PM
Most folks are here for information not a soap opera.

That's comically ironic, considering I generally only post information (or requests for information), while you post misplaced sarcasm and emotional editorials in response. There is an example of this in this thread, several examples of this in the thread about reproduction Charger grilles, and plenty of examples in my 318 distributor thread. In fact, in the 318 distributor thread you posted exactly nothing which would be considered relevant information, despite posting many times.

I have stated several times that I was not responding to the topic. And have admitted that I have indeed intruded and was responding only to your responses to me and others. This is a topic within a topic.
You recognized this by responding to my response. therefore giving it recognition as a topic.
And in order to refute my response you made references to the original topics as a way to side step my points.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 23, 2013, 09:54:36 PM
Well, electric cars didn't fade out at the turn of the 20th century because they were perceived as "Lady's cars" 

I said that it was one of their downfalls, which it was:

QuoteElectric cars were often marketed as suitable vehicles for women drivers due to this ease of operation; in fact, early electric cars were stigmatized by the perception that they were "women's cars", leading some companies to affix radiators to the front to disguise the car's propulsion system.

If the perception of them as "women's cars" wasn't a factor, no company would have gone to the expense of "affixing radiators to the front to disguise the car's propulsion system".

QuoteBig oil had a bigger influence on that then manliness.   Gasoline could be had for mere pennies a gallon and be available everywhere, even at the corner drug store.  To charge your electric car, you had to have a rather large, noisy, and expensive generator outside your house.

You could also use one of the battery exchange services, or one of the public recharging stations that were in various places back then. In any event, there was certainly more than one factor that contributed to their demise.

Quote from: ws23rt on August 23, 2013, 10:04:29 PM

I have stated several times that I was not responding to the topic. And have admitted that I have indeed intruded and was responding only to your responses to me and others. This is a topic within a topic.
You recognized this by responding to my response. therefore giving it recognition as a topic.
And in order to refute my response you made reference to the original topic as a way to side step my points.

Your admitted intrusion into an argument about technical information, with your irrelevant emotional matters, is a textbook example of "soap opera" drama, and the antithesis of "information".

You said:

"Most folks are here for information not a soap opera."

Like I said: comical irony.

JB400

Which electric car company was putting radiators on their electric cars?  Or, was it the dealers? :popcrn:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 23, 2013, 10:21:09 PM
Which electric car company was putting radiators on their electric cars?  Or, was it the dealers? :popcrn:

Detroit Electric did it - link. And here's a video of one. From the video description:

This is a most unusual electric car. This is one of only 174 ever made. The " radiator" up front is not real.

This is an example of a Detroit Electric car without a dummy radiator.

I don't know what other companies did it.

JB400

After doing a little reading, this site, among others as well,  http://www.owningelectriccar.com/electric-car-history.html

I underestimated the popularity of the electric car at that time.  It was more of a range issue and price that did the electric car in.  Coincidentally, the same excuses for not buying electric today.

It would seem that the fake radiator was more of a styling issue (sign of the times) than it was because it was being outsold by gasoline powered cars.

Kern Dog

Personally, I'd prefer a Mountain Dew and a candy bar.
An electric Charger is the queerest idea for these cars that I have ever heard. I'd rather see a diesel conversion.

Tilar

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 09:42:24 PM

It could definitely be done with speakers (that's the only way it could be done, without adding a gasoline engine solely for the sound effect), and they definitely have plenty of juice to power them (far more juice than a regular car has available), though it would rob you of range, because the batteries would be drained quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo

:lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

John_Kunkel

Back on subject, let me tell you about an electric car I saw back in the early eighties.

Picture a Triumph TR6 with the drivetrain removed and the rear axle replaced by a huge electric motor. Every usable inch of space consumed by standard lead/acid batteries. Doesn't sound too unusual until you look inside the body shell and see that each of the four suspension corners has a large diameter rod attached that travels up and down with the suspension travel....the rod passes through a vertical guide bushing. One side of the rod has teeth machined in it much like a steering rack and the teeth in the rack drive a pinion gear attached to a (wait for it) standard 46-amp Mopar alternator. Since an alternator will put out when turned in either direction, the genius designer thought that the constant up/down movement of the rack/pinion setup would drive the alternators fast enough to provide enough power to partially recharge the batteries.

Upon seeing this abortion my thought was "how fast does the Mopar alternator have to turn just to keep the ammeter on the CHARGE side?" Probably 2000 rpm? Obviously, the whole charging concept was a failure but it made for interesting eye candy.

I saw the car in a friend's shop that specialized in diesel and electric conversions. I've often regretted not rushing home for my camera to document this oddity...nowadays it would be on Youtube in no time.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

Dismissed.....

Back on topic again.
Worked on my first hybrid Toyota trans R&R the other day. Flywheel looked kinda like straight drive clutch.
Found out after swap that a coil on plug gone bad will kill one these trans'....
Tell your green buddies to at least tune up the engines.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

GL0169

So your saying if i change my General Lee to electric i will have to call it "General Electric" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fred

Quote from: GL0169 on August 25, 2013, 10:40:27 PM
So your saying if i change my General Lee to electric i will have to call it "General Electric" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:smilielol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

Quote from: GL0169 on August 25, 2013, 10:40:27 PM

Ba-dum-dum!

Just 6T9 CHGR

taking out all the BS posts in this thread was NOT worth my time and effort.

Screw it.  Locking this thread too.   Play nice
Chris' '69 Charger R/T