News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Dual Quad 650's

Started by TexasGeneral, August 21, 2013, 09:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasGeneral

I'm currently considering replacing my TorkerII/1806 carb with the CH-28 dual quad intake and putting 2 Edelbrock 1806 650cfm carbs on the top with 1" wood spacers.. I currently run 93 octane, 3.55 rear, 4speed..  Anyone out there have any thoughts on this new combination? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

moparguy01

I was going to use that intake and carb setup on my 440 which is mildly built up. around 10.2:1 with a .545 lift cam and my engine guy told me it would kill my engine. He told me to get a M1 intake and a good carb and go with that. and it sure is responsive!

A383Wing

I got the early 60's 383 inline dual quad manifold on my 383...running a pair of 625 cfm carbs, no progressive linkage..

I'm way over-carbed   .....had to play around with jets & metering rods to get it at least "streetable" for driving...

I would suggest a single 4bbl dual plane intake with a 625-650 cfm carb for everyday driving

Cooter

Better be one helluva 383...I run twin AFBs on 440 in Christine. A lot more engine than 383.
Looks cool until you stand on out the hole. Can you say over carb'd.
However, that's how it came.
Just depends on if you'd rather it just appear to haul ass, or actaully do it.
Multiple carbs is asking for a tuning nightmare.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ITSA426

I've got an old iron mopar dual quad manifold and the original AFB carbs with progressive linkage on a 383.  I'm really pleased with how well behaved it is.  I don't have the feeling of being over carbed and it accelerates very well.  No stumbles or flat spots.  I've got a little surge at cruise speeds, but I think I just need to adjust float levels.  It drives well on the highway and Mopars just look cool with multiple carbs.

That said, a single carb is more probably practical and makes a lot more sense.  If I wanted a sensible hobby I'd take up financial planning or get back into aviation.  Two fours on a 383 looks like it should have come from the factory that way.  Two 650s sounds like way too much for most 383s.

I've done nothing with the dual quad set up on the hemi car and it still runs very well,  I think you just have to figure out the right combination to go with the rest of the engine build.

John_Kunkel

500's would be more appropriate for a 383 and you'd still be over-carbed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

Before I knew much, I put 2 x4 on my 383 and it seemed to run quite well.  They were not large and they were vaccum secondaries.  I suspect that the secondaries never opened and I made the equivalent of a double pumper.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Cooter

With all this being said, get the 'right' 383 with enough ass up around 3000 rpms and then punch it...
I know the 440 makes moan that sounds like sick whale. It does haul if R's are up...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

yup...my 383 gets going around 2500 rpm with the carbs I got now when opened up

68CoronetRT

Dual Plane intake with a 650 or 750 and be done with it.

A383Wing

TexasGeneral

Thanks for all the input... Guess I'll be leaving it as is.. Dual quads woulda looked bada$$ though :yesnod:

A383Wing

Quote from: TexasGeneral on August 29, 2013, 09:22:56 PM
Thanks for all the input... Guess I'll be leaving it as is.. Dual quads woulda looked bada$$ though :yesnod:

:D

1974dodgecharger

Yup, that does look badass..... :2thumbs:

Quote from: A383Wing on August 29, 2013, 09:50:12 PM
Quote from: TexasGeneral on August 29, 2013, 09:22:56 PM

:D

Cooter

rt green

I had a 70 383 in a challenger with a four speed. it had a 58 Desoto or dodge low 2x4 intake with 2 afb's.  I ran out real well. I had no problems with it' it had progressive linkage. I really liked it. wish I had it back.
third string oil changer

hemigeno

I use a factory 1959 Sport Fury dual quad with twin 390cfm AFB's in a progressive linkage setup.  Fairly streetable, although the application is a bit odd.  :P 

I would love to spend some time with a wide-band O2 sensor hooked up to the bungs already installed in the header collectors, to try and optimize the A/F mixture ratios.  It still leans out sometimes under a load to the point it threatens to start detonating, but I'm afraid of making a change in one area of the power band to the detriment of something else that currently works well.

One of these days...

rt green

third string oil changer

Mopar Nut

What about a six pack set up, looks way cooler.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Cooter

Quote from: Mopar Nut on November 16, 2013, 05:56:34 PM
Matter  of opinion. Twin fours will always be cooler.

A383Wing

Quote from: Cooter on November 17, 2013, 06:52:03 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on November 16, 2013, 05:56:34 PM
Matter  of opinion. Twin fours will always be cooler.

:iagree:

Ghoste

I think I'd have to call that a draw.

JB400

Hilborn injection on any engine.

Ghoste

If you're going to cut a hole in the hood though, you have to consider an old school 6-71 too. :lol: