News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new dodge dart commercial . i love it :)

Started by 68 CHARGER R/T, August 21, 2013, 06:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I'd buy a New Charger before a New Dart any day.  :Twocents:

64dartgt

Chargers are selling...but possibly due to the fact that Ford retired the Crown Vic leaving only the Charger as the best RWD option for law enforcement.  Hopefully I will get to drive a new charger in a few weeks as I rented a car they said would be either a Charger or an Altima.  I drove the V6 version of the last Charger and really wasn't impressed by it.  Quality didn't seem that great as I recall.  It wasn't very memorable to be frank.

XS29L

Cool commercial.  Since Chrysler knew it would grab your attention with the '68 R/T ( arguably one of if not the best looking musclecars ever) WHY THE *%#K DID THEY MAKE THE NEW CHARGER A FOUR DOOR !!!     :flame:     If they had made the new Charger a "retro style" 2 door , like the Challenger I would have bought one. 
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: XS29L on August 24, 2013, 07:47:42 AM
Cool commercial.  Since Chrysler knew it would grab your attention with the '68 R/T ( arguably one of if not the best looking musclecars ever) WHY THE *%#K DID THEY MAKE THE NEW CHARGER A FOUR DOOR !!!     :flame:     If they had made the new Charger a "retro style" 2 door , like the Challenger I would have bought one. 

I thought we had "thousands" of this very topic here.
We can't change Fiat. They have the money.

1974dodgecharger

They have not stuck sort on everything I walked into a dodge dealership here I. Phoenix and asked for a srt caravan and guy laughed me off and showed me a Honda odyssey the most powerful minivan to date he saids.

Quote from: bull on August 22, 2013, 12:07:57 PM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 12:13:15 AM
Cool commercial, but I don't know if it is a wise move to place the new vehicle you are advertising in the same scene as an older vehicle that you no longer sell, and which makes your new vehicle look pathetic in comparison. I mean, who's going to pay attention to the econobox on the left when just to the right of it sits the best looking muscle car of all time?

You're kidding, right? The dumbest thing Chrysler advertising has ever done in the past is ignore or misinterpret its own legacy. IMO creating any sort of brand loyalty is nearly impossible if you don't tap into the historic highlights of your company.

Now, sticking an R/T badge on everything you make is going too far in my book but at least now Chrysler seems to understand the importance of its own heritage.

bull

Quote from: bull on August 22, 2013, 12:07:57 PM

QuoteThe dumbest thing Chrysler advertising has ever done in the past is ignore or misinterpret its own legacy. IMO creating any sort of brand loyalty is nearly impossible if you don't tap into the historic highlights of your company.

That may be, but that doesn't mean it was a wise move to make your new vehicle look pathetic. Do you think most people seeing that commercial are more likely to think, "I'd kill to have that Dodge Dart", or "I'd kill to have that '68 Charger"? This is a pretty well established concept; it is the reason that so many girls don't like going out with friends that are clearly far more attractive than they are, i.e., it takes all the attention away from themselves.

Pathetic compared to a 68 Charger? Sure but what does it matter when every other car produced today looks just as pathetic, or worse, than the Dart? You think people are going to watch this ad, see the classic Charger and buy a Camry instead based on aesthetics? Or run down to the Dodge dealer to see if they have any 68 Chargers left? I'm not following your reasoning?

purplechargerguy

Sweet commercial,  I own one of the new Darts and have to say, I enjoy the heck out of it. very responsive (1.4L w/turbo), handles great, comfortable and roomy interior plus it gets great mileage ( I average 38mpg)  Brand loyalty kept me within the MOPAR family (3 previous chargers one barracuda a pickup and a durango) and I have to say the new dart isn't chasing me away from the brand.  MPG's forced me into the new car market (can't afford to drive my 73SE everywhere dang-it) and I am pretty happy with what I bought.
73 Charger SE  WP29M3A227291

myk

Quote from: 64dartgt on August 24, 2013, 07:24:19 AM
Chargers are selling...but possibly due to the fact that Ford retired the Crown Vic leaving only the Charger as the best RWD option for law enforcement.  Hopefully I will get to drive a new charger in a few weeks as I rented a car they said would be either a Charger or an Altima.  I drove the V6 version of the last Charger and really wasn't impressed by it.  Quality didn't seem that great as I recall.  It wasn't very memorable to be frank.

Driving a V6 Charger is hardly a fair shot for that car.  Just like the Challenger, the car is a complete waste of space unless it is built properly;  I'm talking about the engine and transmission, as well as the wheels, color, body effects, etc.  Get your hands on a properly equipped R/T and I'm sure you'll change your opinion...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: bull on August 24, 2013, 02:12:15 PM

Pathetic compared to a 68 Charger? Sure but what does it matter when every other car produced today looks just as pathetic, or worse, than the Dart?

There are plenty of new cars which aren't nearly as pathetic compared to a '68 Charger as the new Dart is. Chrysler even makes one of them: the Challenger. This would have made more sense as a Challenger commercial than as a Dart commercial.

QuoteYou think people are going to watch this ad, see the classic Charger and buy a Camry instead based on aesthetics? Or run down to the Dodge dealer to see if they have any 68 Chargers left? I'm not following your reasoning?

They might look around for a '68 Charger, since you could get a decent one for the base price of the Dart ($16,000). Or they might look for something new that more closely resembles the image/look/feel/essence of a '68 Charger, such as a new Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger. Yes, it is still good for Chrysler if people see that commercial and want a Challenger, but they want to sell Darts too, and that commercial doesn't glorify Darts; all the attention from most people is going to be on the far more impressive Charger. It simply isn't wise marketing to make your product look pathetic; it doesn't necessarily mean there will be any dire consequences for Chrysler because of it.

myk

Gonna have to disagree on that one.  When WE see a 68 Charger R/T, especially one spec'd out like the Bullitt Charger, we go into orgasmic ecstasy mode and drop to our knees to pray to the Mopar gods.  But to the vast majority of Americans, especially car-buying Americans who couldn't care less, that '68 Charger is just another old car.  If you watch the commercial closely the commercial says, among other things, that the Dart is just as good, just as fast, just as cool, just as strong, and just as capable as anything "dad" or anyone else drove from the fabled muscle car days.  Besides, other than myself and a few other members on here, who would have the determination and the nuts to go daily-drive a 40 year old car, when you could have a newer, more advanced and practical car for the same price?

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on August 24, 2013, 08:09:54 PM
Gonna have to disagree on that one.  When WE see a 68 Charger R/T, especially one spec'd out like the Bullitt Charger, we go into orgasmic ecstasy mode and drop to our knees to pray to the Mopar gods.  But to the vast majority of Americans, especially car-buying Americans who couldn't care less, that '68 Charger is just another old car.  If you watch the commercial closely the commercial says, among other things, that the Dart is just as good, just as fast, just as cool, just as strong, and just as capable as anything "dad" or anyone else drove from the fabled muscle car days.  Besides, other than myself and a few other members on here, who would have the determination and the nuts to go daily-drive a 40 year old car, when you could have a newer, more advanced and practical car for the same price?

I have total strangers walking up to me all the time in parking lots or whatever, excited about my '69 Charger, and mine has old scratched and faded paint, patches of primer, and some surface rust; it looks like a "beater". They include teenage girls (even one girl who couldn't have been more than 12, who recognized it as being the same type of car as the "General Lee"), guys of all ages, from primary school age to senior citizens (guys in general being the most common category), various young women, middle-aged women, and exactly one senior citizen woman. It is rare that I can park it anywhere in public without someone approaching me. I've even gotten notes left on it asking if I want to sell it, and knocks on my house door from total strangers wanting to buy it.

The second-generation Charger just has a look/shape to it that seems to have timeless appeal to a wide variety of people, even when it is like mine, i.e. a far cry from being in mint condition. The Dukes of Hazzard connection contributes to that too.

Nacho-RT74

Whatever Chrysler is making and selling at this moment, STILL NEEDS the REAL CHARGER on TV commercials at a side to promote it

ISN'T THIS TELL YOU WHAT'S THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO FOLLOW, CHRYSLER DESIGNERS?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 24, 2013, 07:45:58 PM
Quote from: bull on August 24, 2013, 02:12:15 PM

Pathetic compared to a 68 Charger? Sure but what does it matter when every other car produced today looks just as pathetic, or worse, than the Dart?

There are plenty of new cars which aren't nearly as pathetic compared to a '68 Charger as the new Dart is. Chrysler even makes one of them: the Challenger. This would have made more sense as a Challenger commercial than as a Dart commercial.

QuoteYou think people are going to watch this ad, see the classic Charger and buy a Camry instead based on aesthetics? Or run down to the Dodge dealer to see if they have any 68 Chargers left? I'm not following your reasoning?

They might look around for a '68 Charger, since you could get a decent one for the base price of the Dart ($16,000). Or they might look for something new that more closely resembles the image/look/feel/essence of a '68 Charger, such as a new Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger. Yes, it is still good for Chrysler if people see that commercial and want a Challenger, but they want to sell Darts too, and that commercial doesn't glorify Darts; all the attention from most people is going to be on the far more impressive Charger. It simply isn't wise marketing to make your product look pathetic; it doesn't necessarily mean there will be any dire consequences for Chrysler because of it.

The point of the exercise is to get people into the Dodge dealership and these cars are both Dodges. :shruggy: And people looking for a four-door econobox are not going to say 'hell with it' and buy a Rustang or Challenger for $10k-$20k more, or whatever the difference is. If anything the Charger's presence will draw attention to the ad. Meanwhile the most famous Camry ad of late featured Kelly Clarkson and three other geeks head-bopping to some yuppie song. Dodge wins. 

MaximRecoil

Quote from: bull on August 25, 2013, 12:11:38 AM

The point of the exercise is to get people into the Dodge dealership and these cars are both Dodges. :shruggy:

Yes, but one of those Dodges — the one that makes the other look pathetic — can't be found at the Dodge dealership, so people distracted by the Charger known there's no point going to the dealership looking for one.

QuoteAnd people looking for a four-door econobox are not going to say 'hell with it' and buy a Rustang or Challenger for $10k-$20k more, or whatever the difference is. If anything the Charger's presence will draw attention to the ad. Meanwhile the most famous Camry ad of late featured Kelly Clarkson and three other geeks head-bopping to some yuppie song. Dodge wins. 

The goal of a good marketer is to make someone want something that they never knew they wanted. The people who already wanted your product aren't the target, they are already convinced. The people who already are in the market for something in your product's category (e.g. econobox) are already partially in the bag; they aren't the hard targets.

This commercial just isn't good marketing strategy to begin with. I'm surprised it got greenlit.

myk

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 24, 2013, 08:47:31 PM

I have total strangers walking up to me all the time in parking lots or whatever, excited about my '69 Charger, and mine has old scratched and faded paint, patches of primer, and some surface rust; it looks like a "beater". They include teenage girls (even one girl who couldn't have been more than 12, who recognized it as being the same type of car as the "General Lee"), guys of all ages, from primary school age to senior citizens (guys in general being the most common category), various young women, middle-aged women, and exactly one senior citizen woman. It is rare that I can park it anywhere in public without someone approaching me. I've even gotten notes left on it asking if I want to sell it, and knocks on my house door from total strangers wanting to buy it.

I'm not saying that there's no appreciation for our cars, but again, the people that bug you AND me about our cars are in the minority.  The majority of America wants new, modern, convenient, environmentally friendly and relatively cheap transportation.  Unfortunately, our Dodge's are not those things, but hey-AMEN TO THAT...

JB400

I believe that this can go pretty much by any vantage point.  One that hasn't been mentioned is: If you like that, you'll like this too.  In this instance, as Charger connoisseurs, we are the target audience in that since.  Showing someone's favorite item with your intended product draws more attention to that particular product.  How else is that Dart commercial going to be mentioned on a Charger site, if it didn't contain a Charger?  It would have to contain something else of interest that the original op thought that we'd all be interested in.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on August 25, 2013, 03:38:07 AM
I'm not saying that there's no appreciation for our cars, but again, the people that bug you AND me about our cars are in the minority.  The majority of America wants new, modern, convenient, environmentally friendly and relatively cheap transportation.  Unfortunately, our Dodge's are not those things, but hey-AMEN TO THAT...

I assume that's your car in your signature? Your car looks like mine, if mine hadn't sat in the Maine woods from 1994 to 2011 (and God only knows how long it sat out before '94). Even the wheels are the same or very similar. It would make a good "before and after" picture:

Tilar

Quote from: 64dartgt on August 24, 2013, 07:24:19 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but from what I understand the RWD Charger will soon be a thing of the past. A friend of mine that is a Highway patrolman said they brought that up at a meeting he was in.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bull

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 25, 2013, 03:06:04 AM

The goal of a good marketer is to make someone want something that they never knew they wanted. The people who already wanted your product aren't the target, they are already convinced. The people who already are in the market for something in your product's category (e.g. econobox) are already partially in the bag; they aren't the hard targets.

This commercial just isn't good marketing strategy to begin with. I'm surprised it got greenlit.

Based on your performance in the grill thread I'd say you're not the expert on good marketing. :D

Tilar

Quote from: bull on August 25, 2013, 10:08:31 AM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 25, 2013, 03:06:04 AM

Based on your performance in the grill thread I'd say you're not the expert on good marketing. :D

And I'd say he wasn't an expert on anything based on his "performance" in the "Gasoline to electric conversion..." thread.   All he wants to do is piss people off and make a fool of himself.

I do like the commercial.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ws23rt

Making a fool of himself is thus far the best thing he does :shruggy:

The marketers that Dodge uses are well paid for a reason. The add brought the Dart back to my attention after I had "dismissed " it in the past.

brigond

I love it in an awkward sort of way. Love that they use the best looking car ever. It's a smart marketing move. This thread is proof of that. At the same time, I don't think the  two should be side by side. The 68 is above and beyond the car to have. It's all around greatness  gives the dart the back seat.  The new dart just blends with a lot of what's out there.

They didn't even compare the same car class. That's probably the brilliant marketing part. My feelings would still be similar if they used another dart. Maybe a 1969 Dart GTS should have been used. I would still like the commercial and it may be a little less like an  apples to watermelon  comparison.

I travel 80 miles one way to work. Did that commercial say up to 59 mpg?  Yes , I would buy one for the mpg and for brand loyalty.  They have  this forum talking so I guess the commercial is working.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

gschmidt211

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 12:13:15 AM
Cool commercial, but I don't know if it is a wise move to place the new vehicle you are advertising in the same scene as an older vehicle that you no longer sell, and which makes your new vehicle look pathetic in comparison. I mean, who's going to pay attention to the econobox on the left when just to the right of it sits the best looking muscle car of all time?

You are absolutely right.  From the moment the '68 was entered into the commercial, that is all I watch for.  At the scene where they are stopped for the trolley with the shots of the rear, I didn't even notice the Dart.

It won't get me to buy a Dart, but good commercial anyways.
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

MaximRecoil

Given that I wasn't "marketing" anything in the grille thread, your non sequitur is dismissed, and due to your lack of further arguments (in an argument that you started, no less) your tacit concession on the matter is noted.

Quote from: ws23rt on August 25, 2013, 10:39:17 AM

Your baseless, yet comically ironic, assertion is dismissed.

Quote from: Tilar on August 25, 2013, 10:34:41 AM
And I'd say he wasn't an expert on anything based on his "performance" in the "Gasoline to electric conversion..." thread.   All he wants to do is piss people off and make a fool of himself.

Your baseless and comically ironic assertion is dismissed as well.

bull

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 25, 2013, 04:56:26 PM

Given that I wasn't "marketing" anything in the grille thread, your non sequitur is dismissed, and due to your lack of further arguments (in an argument that you started, no less) your tacit concession on the matter is noted.

Quote from: ws23rt on August 25, 2013, 10:39:17 AM

Your baseless, yet comically ironic, assertion is dismissed.

Quote from: Tilar on August 25, 2013, 10:34:41 AM
And I'd say he wasn't an expert on anything based on his "performance" in the "Gasoline to electric conversion..." thread.   All he wants to do is piss people off and make a fool of himself.

Your baseless and comically ironic assertion is dismissed as well.

Given that you responded it's clear you dismissed nothing.