News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new dodge dart commercial . i love it :)

Started by 68 CHARGER R/T, August 21, 2013, 06:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallfry01

That is awesome! My hat is off to whoever made that one!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

myk

Lol, cute.  Too bad people who haven't seen or heard of Bullitt, mostly younger folks, won't understand the 'Frisco reference...

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: myk on August 21, 2013, 07:20:15 PM
Lol, cute.  Too bad people who haven't seen or heard of Bullitt, mostly younger folks, won't understand the 'Frisco reference...

i understand it  :yesnod: and any other kid who has any interest in cars would too... but than again said kid wouldnt give a crap about the modern dart  :eek2:

bill440rt

VERY cool.  :cheers:
It's actually not a bad looking little car. Much nicer looking compared to other compacts in it's market range from other makes.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Fred

That was good. Good looking little car too.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

green69rt

MaximRecoil

Cool commercial, but I don't know if it is a wise move to place the new vehicle you are advertising in the same scene as an older vehicle that you no longer sell, and which makes your new vehicle look pathetic in comparison. I mean, who's going to pay attention to the econobox on the left when just to the right of it sits the best looking muscle car of all time?

fy469rtse

I just want to know what member on here owns that car, and no wonder his hair is grey the way he drives that charger , there's a car on the left lol didn't notice till you guys pointed that out

MaximRecoil

Quote from: fy469rtse on August 22, 2013, 02:03:09 AM
I just want to know what member on here owns that car, and no wonder his hair is grey the way he drives that charger

They grafted in scenes from the 1968 movie Bullitt for that commercial. The car was brand new at the time of course, but I suspect it is long gone by now (unless one or both of the two that they used got saved like some of the original General Lees from The Dukes of Hazzard did).

The famous chase scene from Bullitt involving that black '68 Charger R/T and a green '68 Mustang GT can be seen on YouTube - link.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 12:13:15 AM
Cool commercial, but I don't know if it is a wise move to place the new vehicle you are advertising in the same scene as an older vehicle that you no longer sell, and which makes your new vehicle look pathetic in comparison. I mean, who's going to pay attention to the econobox on the left when just to the right of it sits the best looking muscle car of all time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr2n_igISbU

wasnt the first time  :shruggy:

JB400

Bullitt was never replayed.  There was a couple remake shots, but no vintage shots.  It was all new, and surprisingly done with the 68.  I would have thought that they'd of used the newer Charger.  Glad that Chrysler hasn't completely lost its heritage. :2thumbs:

bull

You're kidding, right? The dumbest thing Chrysler advertising has ever done in the past is ignore or misinterpret its own legacy. IMO creating any sort of brand loyalty is nearly impossible if you don't tap into the historic highlights of your company.

Now, sticking an R/T badge on everything you make is going too far in my book but at least now Chrysler seems to understand the importance of its own heritage.

stripedelete

I find the mix kind of interesting in that the baby boomers who are not the target market for the car are the ones that are going to "get it".

Maybe it's a "twofer". Tug on fond  memories of boomers (heritage) and for the millenials, "here's something shiny and all you will every be able to afford".

:shruggy:

myk

Quote from: stripedelete on August 22, 2013, 04:27:05 PM
I find the mix kind of interesting in that the baby boomers who are not the target market for the car are the ones that are going to "get it".

Maybe it's a "twofer". Tug on fond  memories of boomers (heritage) and for the millenials, "here's something shiny and all you will every be able to afford".

:shruggy:

Exactly.  Look at it this way guys: younger buyers who might be drawn to that car may have some money to spend, but those without the cash MAY have parents or older relatives/siblings that may appreciate a '68 Charger, Bullitt the movie as well as other pieces of that era, and for nostalgia's sake may co-sign for a loan.  Or, if an older/retired person with a limited/fixed income is looking to relive their glory days, then I would imagine that the creators of the Dart and that commercial would be aiming at that demographic as well.  Be sure however, that they didn't just throw a '68 Charger and a new Fiat-er, I mean Dart together just for the heck of it...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 22, 2013, 05:41:36 AM
Bullitt was never replayed.  There was a couple remake shots, but no vintage shots.  It was all new, and surprisingly done with the 68.  I would have thought that they'd of used the newer Charger.  Glad that Chrysler hasn't completely lost its heritage. :2thumbs:

Really? That's interesting. I figured it was done the same way those Coor's Light commercials from the 1990s showing John Wayne seemingly interacting with a current setting and current actors were done. With the advances in digital wizardry since the 1990s I have no doubt they could have incorporated actual Bullitt footage seamlessly had they wanted to.

Quote from: bull on August 22, 2013, 12:07:57 PM

You're kidding, right?

Not even remotely.

QuoteThe dumbest thing Chrysler advertising has ever done in the past is ignore or misinterpret its own legacy. IMO creating any sort of brand loyalty is nearly impossible if you don't tap into the historic highlights of your company.

That may be, but that doesn't mean it was a wise move to make your new vehicle look pathetic. Do you think most people seeing that commercial are more likely to think, "I'd kill to have that Dodge Dart", or "I'd kill to have that '68 Charger"? This is a pretty well established concept; it is the reason that so many girls don't like going out with friends that are clearly far more attractive than they are, i.e., it takes all the attention away from themselves.

XH29N0G

Like the commercial.  My 15 y.o. said, shouldn't the dart pop up in the mirror of the charger?
:smilielol:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Cooter

So the new Dart has everything on it that makes it NOT Skid, smoke the tires, slide sideways, etc. Like the black car...
Ok Chrysler, keep your Dart. Start making the new Charger look like that black car if you want to sell a buttload of new cars.
Most of the younger FB croud has the same opinion that I've seen.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

lexxman

Cool I like it, but that's it most people won't get the reference.

daveco

Minor hijack: Anyone here driven one of these new Darts? (My '98 Neon needs replacing)
R/Tree

myk

greenpigs

I love the commercial also, but the new Dart has a ways to go before I would buy one.

If they used a new charger it just wouldn't have clicked.

I would be willing to give up some MPG for extra power. Also I am done buying new so it would be for the wife.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

wingcar

Now if they would paint a new Charger orange, add big 01's on the door and a flag on the roof.........a dirt road, a few jumps...a new Charger Cop car giving chase........  (LOL)

(*They would have to add: "Kids don't try this at home")
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

bill440rt

Actually, the new Chargers ARE selling.  :yesnod:
Sales figures (US & Canada) for 2012 models are over 86,000. In 2007 it was about 127,000 units.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/dodge-charger-sales-figures.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce