News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ride Vintage sleds? (pics)

Started by PocketThunder, February 28, 2006, 12:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

I have a '70 Artic Cat Panther 340 and a '71 Artic Cat Cheetah 440.  I got them out for a little riding this past weekend up north at a friends cabin.  They are a blast to bomb around on, but my arm is still sore from pull starting them a hundred time to get them started... and once you get them running dont dare shut them off till you're done riding!
And notice the cleated tracks.  If you're riding around on the lake and you turn ever so slightly on a patch of ice the cleats will grab like a pair of ice skates and wip the sled around and buck you off in a heartbeat..... i know,  it happend to me, thats why the Pather has a new windshield on it.  D'oh! :icon_smile_big:

The pattern on the Panther seat really draws in the chicks... :yesnod:  Notice the gas tank in the back of the sled... (stupid idea)

The last pic is the Cheetahs 440, the one that caused my arm to almost fall off...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

Kool Literally...

here's mine...
(but i'm still waiting for it to snow here in San Francisco..)

http://www.myminiaturemanor.com/shop_image/product/d830c53ac644bd5ff1ac377fcbe10fba.jpg

Charger_Fan

Damn, PT...I think I'd rather smash my nutz with a rubber mallet. :icon_smile_shock:

:D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Johnny SixPack

My mom and dad used to ride Vikings back in "71 - "73.

I'll have to see if I can dig up some old pix of 'em.

My buddy Kyle used to have a couple old 'Cats when we were all up in Alaska, but he could never get the mofo's to run reliably.

Definitely cool though, PT!
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Telvis

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 28, 2006, 12:39:45 AM
Damn, PT...I think I'd rather smash my nutz with a rubber mallet. :icon_smile_shock:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Lowprofile

Wow!  Did they make the trip over on the Mayflower??   :smilielol: :D

Very kool old school,  PT..........  When does the resto start??    :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

NHCharger

That brings back some memories. We had two Ski-Doo's when I was young. Olympics, 15 HP, top speed 45 if you were lucky. My neighbor had a Moto-ski, another had a Rupp 440 (very fast back then).  I  ran into a guy when I was out snowmobling one day that had a really old machine. The skis on his machine were wood.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

derailed

Wow that brings back memories, I had a 72 Panther 340 when I was about 13. I finally talked my father into letting me have it. I got to ride it once and then let my friend next door ride it in his backyard. He ended up crashing it through his parents sliding glass door and parked it in there family room. Needless to say that was the end of it.  >:(

ITSA426

Paul it looks like the Cheetah I bought new.  I used to ride a lot.  I thought the Panthers were way too heavy.  I'm sitting here looking at some old el tigre', King Kat, and EXT info I've got left over from the day. 

As I get older and lazier I think I'll stick with the Dodges but it's a shame every outdoor sport here has to be seasonal use.  Charger looks better than last time I saw it.

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: formula_440 on February 28, 2006, 12:40:49 AM
My mom and dad used to riding Vikings back in "71 - "73.

We had Vikings for years when I was a kid. They were Made in Twin Valley MN where I hail from. It was my parents way of sticking to their roots. I live in Wyoming MN now where they have a polaris R&d facility so I am a Polaris Boy (I was anyway, but it is nice that my money goes to my community)

I would really like to get a vintage Viking to restore, Maybe I should start watching for them on Ebay.

Here is my current sled a 2000 Polaris XC sp 500 anniversary model:

It's semi Vintage its 6 years old! ;D That for a snowmobile is ancient, Next year I will have XC sp 700 with the new IQ suspension! ;D
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

HAZZARDJOHN

:haha: :nana: You have no Idea what you are missing! There is no rush with the exception of sex that will exceed going 70 miles an hour through fresh powder, or Jumpin over a mogul doing sixtie!  :icon_smile_big:

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

nh_mopar_fan

We used to run around on a pair of Merc back in the day. Nice machines.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: HAZZARDJOHN on February 28, 2006, 02:21:46 PM

:haha: :nana: You have no Idea what you are missing! There is no rush with the exception of sex that will exceed going 70 miles an hour through fresh powder, or Jumpin over a mogul doing sixtie!  :icon_smile_big:

~HJ
I can do all that...I just prefer to do it without the fresh powder. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

HAZZARDJOHN

^ ok you got me there! ;D  Nice Bike!

Bullit_68

I used to have a 78 Yamaha 440 Exciter it was a great sled really fast and light.I sold it to my brother in law because i screwed up my back and couldn't ride it anymore he still has it though.It really bugs me now when i go there and see it i want to ride it lol.I,ll get some pics on here soon.

Nupe

I had a 79 Arctic Cat Trail Cat back around '98 and it was fun.  Gave me something to do when it snowed and was so lite that it was easy to get out when stuck.  That damn thing was a pain in the arse also to start.  Some days second pull, other days 100 pulls!  :icon_smile_dead:

There is a local guy who has a cool old sled salvage yard.  He has some old sled that is so old it has a one lunger chain drive and this weird hoist type thing to jack itself out from the back when stuck.  It is all steel and HEAVY.   A kid growing up had one of the old mono ski Ski Doos and that thing always looked strange.  Had to put his hand over the carb throat to start it for a choke.  :o

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Chargerguy74

I have an 80 Arctic cat 440 and some newer sleds.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002