News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woodward Dream Cruise 2013 - My Pics

Started by bill440rt, August 20, 2013, 09:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Hey gang, finally getting a chance to wind down from a long weekend at the Dream Cruise. It's been VERY busy since last Wednesday. I am happy to report that both we and the car left & arrived safely and unscathed. Our flight home was delayed several hours, due to "mechanics that were diligently working to replace a part on the aircraft." I about sh*t my pants when I heard that, who knows what they were working on but we got home eventually.
I took a total of about 400 pictures, and about 50 video clips. I'll post just some of my pics I took here.

As a Woodward "newbie", let me just say that this event is MASSIVE. Resq302 recently asked on another thread if Woodward was "a show or just a fun time and a huge car gathering?" The answer is a resounding "YES"!!  :yesnod:  It's all of the above and more. The "event" spans about 16 miles thru 9 towns. Woodward at most times is 8-lanes wide, with a center grass median. The whole road is lined with cars and spectators, sometimes 6-8 chairs deep & I heard they even had bleachers set up in spots. Every spot is filled, at every parking lot, gas station, restaurant, etc is filled with cars. Live music, food, tents, etc line the streets. And the road is filled with cars cruising. 1.2+ million people & 40,000+ cars. I've honestly never seen anything before in my life like it.

We arrived Wednesday night, & drove straight to the lot where Mopar would have their display, at 13 Mile Rd & Woodward.
Here are some pics from that evening, the Mopar trucks were just arriving.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

My car arrived on Thursday, & Mopar started setting up.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

:popcrn:

bill440rt

Here are a few cars, both at the display and cruising or parked nearby. Some of the cars at the display were on loan from the Chrysler Museum.
We did get to roam around a bit on Thursday & Friday, but due to the amount of crowds I really did not go anywhere on Saturday. There were so many people I just did not want to leave my car unattended, even though it was roped off.

bill440rt

The Silver Bullet was on display, and this cool Viper powered street rod.  :drool5:

bill440rt

More.

bill440rt

Perhaps one of my favorite resto-mods that was there was this Coronet convertible, complete with a Shaker hood. It was really nicely done.  :drool5:

bill440rt

:popcrn:
New Charger from F&F.

bill440rt

A few wacky ones from the road.

bill440rt

More.
This stretched street rod was Caterpillar powered, even painted Caterpillar yellow. VERY cool custom.

bill440rt

My wife kicking my ass playing a Mopar drag racing video game.  :brickwall:  :lol:

Got to rub elbows with a few celebs, too.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

We got a chance to eat at some really cool restaurants on Woodward.
First was Duggan's, a two story restaurant with an "open" second floor.
The second was Vinsetta Garage, an old gas station/mechanic shop that was converted to a restaurant. WAY cool. Food was fantastic.

bill440rt

Yep, complete with an early Hemi powered dragster in the rafters.
Waitress was very nice, too.  :icon_smile_big:

bill440rt

Monster Energy drink was also on-site in the Mopar parking lot. They had their motocross stunt team doing stunts during several shows on Saturday.
Couldn't resist a photo opp with the Monster girls.  :drool5:

bill440rt

From the face-palm files come these pics. These were taken on Saturday.
First comes a family pushing around a shopping cart (yes, a SHOPPING CART!) throughout the Mopar display. Of course, this was to avoid actually carrying their folding chairs. Their son was also nice enough to try to swipe the award we had on display thru the ropes surrounding the cars.  :o :brickwall:

While I got up to check on things, this nice woman made herself nice & comfy in our chair to snack on her fresh bag of Cheetos. Nom nom nom.  :lol:  :brickwall:

bill440rt

I had the honor of spending much of the weekend with the other Top Eliminator winner, Miles Watsko. A true gentleman, his Savoy was absolutely stunning.  :drool5:

It was also GREAT to see Tufcat & Bakerhillpins again, and also met hemi-hampton (LEON) for the first time.  :cheers:

We wrapped it up Saturday night, and my car arrived safely at home Sunday afternoon. Glad to have it back home.

resq302

Nice pics Bill!  Certainly a once in a life time thing!    Did they give you that Mopar shirt as part of the package?   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ws23rt

:2thumbs:
I had heard about that event many times but had no idea it was that big.
Great pics. that give a good sense of what it was like. :drool5:

remta1

BrianShaughnessy

I've told people there isn't anything like the dream cruise anywhere ...  you have to experience it for yourself.   Congrats again Bill  :2thumbs:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice pics Bill!   Looks like you had a once in a lifetime great time!  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

billssuperbird

bakerhillpins

Bill, was great to see you and your car there. You certainly deserved the spotlight with your car.  :coolgleamA:  It was cool to be able to connect with you and your wife while at the cruise, our own celebrity connection!  :yesnod: 

As a Woodward noob myself I can only say that if you get the chance to do this you should. Even if you don't have a car!!!  Now if I can just figure out what to break so that I can make it next year.   :smilielol:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

charge69

Very nice pics of "all that is" the Woodward Cruise!! I guess Detroit isn't as dead as I have heard!  Thanks!!