News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aspect ratio for the fronts.....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, September 16, 2013, 07:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Should one get the same aspect ratio on the fronts as their rears?  Example 295/45 so should the fronts be same such as 255/45 ratio?

I noticed guys run 2 aspect ratios higher on fronts such as 295/35 and they run in front 255/45.

bull

No, you don't have to. Nothing's going to be damaged or act weird because the front wheels are spinning faster than the rears, or vice-versa. The aspect ratio doesn't have as much to do with it as the diameter. I'm running 295/50-15 on the back and 245/60-15 on the front and they are only 1/10th of an inch different in diameter.

myk

Are you trying to figure out the "look" of the wheels?  Personally I prefer balanced, but a lot of the other guys here prefer a fatter AR in the back, in addition to a staggered stance (wider rear than front).  What are you trying to do? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on September 16, 2013, 11:38:38 PM
Are you trying to figure out the "look" of the wheels?  Personally I prefer balanced, but a lot of the other guys here prefer a fatter AR in the back, in addition to a staggered stance (wider rear than front).  What are you trying to do? 

yeah im trying to find a nice balance I dont want skinnies in front looking or fatties in front thats all.  I like hows yours look....

bull, thats not much of a difference it seems like then in the AR of the tires guess I dont have much to worry about if I get a 40 in fronts since I have 45s in rears.

Dino

I have a different ratio front to back.  245/45 front and 275/50 rear.  Looks fine to me but that was the whole point.   :icon_smile_big:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bull

Yea, it's pretty much what looks good rather than a functional thing. But then I wouldn't put 22s on the front and 14s on the back, even if I thought it looked good. :D

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 17, 2013, 08:29:58 AM
Quote from: myk on September 16, 2013, 11:38:38 PM

yeah im trying to find a nice balance I dont want skinnies in front looking or fatties in front thats all.  I like hows yours look....

bull, thats not much of a difference it seems like then in the AR of the tires guess I dont have much to worry about if I get a 40 in fronts since I have 45s in rears.

That depends on the width of the tire, also.  I'm sure you already know how to do this, but just in case:

To compare aspect ratio's:

Tire example: 245/45-18
1. Take the width and divide it by 25.4.  Let's say 245/25.4=9.65" (width of the tire in inches).
2. Take the number from above and multiply it by the aspect ratio.  Let's say 9.65" x .45=4.34" (height of the sidewall).
3. Multiply that number by two 4.34"x2=8.68"  (height of the sidewall time's two).

From that point you can compare sidewall heights.  Then to get the overall wheel/tire height:

4. Add the combined sidewall height to the rim diameter. 8.68+18=26.7" (total wheel/tire height)

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

myk,

no I actually did not know that im gonna take that info now and buy the aspect ratio closest to my rears. thanks.

charge69

Well, I did a little comparing aspect ratios before I got my wheels and tires and decided to go the safest way to go to be sure there were no clearance problems to deal with.  My wheels are 15x8 rear and 15x7 front with Nitto Extreme drag radial 275x60x15 rear and B. F. Goodrich Radial T/A's in 225x70x15 front.  Absolutely no clearance problems and almost the same diameter tires!  They gave my Charger a nice stance also. I wanted to go with blackwall tires and found both in blackwalls .