News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What type of tools/kit do we all carry in the car?

Started by DadsCharger00, August 20, 2013, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I've got a small storage bin with:

-200 piece tool kit with sockets, screwdrivers, hammer, light, razor blade, tape, etc...
-fluids: Brake fluid, oil, trans fluid, power steering fluid, gear oil
-bottle jack
-spare parts: cap, rotor, coil, plug wires, belts, fuses, assortment of wires, electrical connectors, and small hoses.
-Gas can
-Spare tire which is pretty pointless now that my brake rotors are bigger than the spare?
-AAA card

I've been stranded a bunch of times over small parts failing, so now it all stays in the trunk just in case.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 20, 2013, 07:10:07 PM
I've been meaning to put together some tools and whatnot to keep in my car, but I'd need to come up with a way to secure the toolbox in the trunk; I don't want it bouncing and sliding around back there.

I figure something like:

- A set of SAE combination wrenches
- A 3/8" drive SAE ratchet and socket set (standard and deep-well)
- My trusty "4-in-1" screwdriver (which also works as a 1/4" and 5/16" nut driver)
- Pry bar
- Beat-up flat-blade screwdriver for light-duty prying in tight areas
- A hammer
- Side cutters
- Adjustable wrench, Vice-Grips, standard and needle-nose pliers
- Small roll of bailing wire
- Telescoping magnet
- Utility knife
- Electrical supplies (crimpers, electrical wire, crimp connectors, zip-ties, electrical tape, multimeter, spare fuses and relays)
- Self-amalgamating silicone tape ("Rescue Tape")
- Flashlight
- WD-40
- Duct tape
- Spare belts

And of course the usual stuff for changing a flat tire.

You forgot the spare ISO relay.  :icon_smile_big:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

brigond

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 20, 2013, 02:29:08 PM

I carry a cell phone, a credit card and I have AAA towing service. That's all I'm prepared to do on the road.

Yup , the best way to go. I had to do it once, when my carb gave way. I requested a flat bed for the car. Also a cab with  room to bring along my wife and 2 kids. AAA paid off. The guy was even able to roll it off the bed, right into the garage.

I do bring along a basic tool kit . Socket set , screw drivers and wrenched.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

ws23rt

When I have just finished a car or engine related changes and am testing it around the neighbor hood I will have a couple of screw drivers and pliers.
If I need more than that I won't be fixing it on the side of the road. AAA is a great investment and I have been a member since I was 16.
In the early days I used it many times.  Now with cell phones I won't even need to hike to a phone booth.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 21, 2013, 03:27:48 PM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 20, 2013, 07:10:07 PM
I've been meaning to put together some tools and whatnot to keep in my car, but I'd need to come up with a way to secure the toolbox in the trunk; I don't want it bouncing and sliding around back there.

I figure something like:

- A set of SAE combination wrenches
- A 3/8" drive SAE ratchet and socket set (standard and deep-well)
- My trusty "4-in-1" screwdriver (which also works as a 1/4" and 5/16" nut driver)
- Pry bar
- Beat-up flat-blade screwdriver for light-duty prying in tight areas
- A hammer
- Side cutters
- Adjustable wrench, Vice-Grips, standard and needle-nose pliers
- Small roll of bailing wire
- Telescoping magnet
- Utility knife
- Electrical supplies (crimpers, electrical wire, crimp connectors, zip-ties, electrical tape, multimeter, spare fuses and relays)
- Self-amalgamating silicone tape ("Rescue Tape")
- Flashlight
- WD-40
- Duct tape
- Spare belts

And of course the usual stuff for changing a flat tire.

You forgot the spare ISO relay.  :icon_smile_big:

See above. Does the bolding help?

moparguy01

ask any of the guys that go on the Kansas Mopar Cruise every year. I could damn near rebuild a car with the crap I would haul in my new yorker. :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: moparguy01 on August 21, 2013, 09:47:39 PM
ask any of the guys that go on the Kansas Mopar Cruise every year. I could damn near rebuild a car with the crap I would haul in my new yorker. :lol:
russ mcgyver
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparguy01

i think the past few years i had 1 fatality on the cruise. when Ron lost that front pump seal on his charger and went home on the trailer. most other issues between me and a few others on the cruise we got fixed up and back on the road in relatively short order. For me thats kinda fun. Reminds me of the old days of racing. :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: moparguy01 on August 21, 2013, 10:29:58 PM
i think the past few years i had 1 fatality on the cruise. when Ron lost that front pump seal on his charger and went home on the trailer. most other issues between me and a few others on the cruise we got fixed up and back on the road in relatively short order. For me thats kinda fun. Reminds me of the old days of racing. :2thumbs:
you caused a few to   ,  Mr   exxon valdez
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparguy01

Those were never actual problems. just dropped oil on the ground next to and under the cars.  :lol:

68Charger4me

Just a screwdriver with multiple tips, adjustable wrench and some fuses, gota carry extra fuses with these things :lol:

brigond

Oh , forgot to mention.... I  always have jumper cables and a crossbar lug nut remover in all my cars.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

Fred

Sometimes I think maybe a small fold up bicycle could be the way to go.  :scratchchin:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.