News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water temp/Electric fan

Started by J-440, August 18, 2013, 05:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Evening all.  I have an electric fan with a T-stat sensor in the radiator which is set to go on at 180*.  It is not turning on at all.  I also have a water temp gauge that is wired to the same sensor in the radiator...it is also not working.  From my past dealings with my FAST XFI and its sensors, you cannot "share" sensors.  Would this be the reason that neither part is working correctly?  Do I need to find another place in the cooling system to hook up my water temp sensor?  Thanks again.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

A383Wing

you cannot share sensors....each item must have it's own sensor or switch.

you should have a temp "switch" for the fan, and a temp "sensor" for the gauge...both are completely different and cannot be interchanged or shared

Bryan

J-440

Thanks for the quick response Bryan.  I figured that was my problem.  Now here's another question:  Since I have an electric water pump and no place to put a temp sensor, could I use one of the radiator drain plugs in the block (440) and put the sensor there?  Also, what is the thread size of that plug?
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

A383Wing

no...you need to use one of the plugs in the water pump housing...if you have any left to use...the drain plugs in the block will not give you an accurate reading....the block is always cooler than the water at the housing or top of radiator

John_Kunkel

For the electric fan I like the type of controller that has a temp sensing bulb that inserts in the radiator fins, like the Derale #16759.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.