News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black and Blown Update... also looking for advice

Started by Black and Blown, July 30, 2013, 09:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black and Blown

Hello everyone... hope y'all are doing well.  Here's a quick update from me.

Got rid of carbs - now using Holley's fuel injection set-up (the fancy kind you program with your laptop).  The car has always been surprisingly driveable, but now even more so.  Learning more about it all the time... the guy who did the install overlooked a couple things ... but that's another post haha.

Over-revved it late last summer and developed a miss.  Pulled the heads - not surprisingly there were indentations where the valves had made contact with pistons.  Heads are done and will go back on today or tomorrow.  This engine was built in 1996, and the guy that just did the heads told me that very few of the valves were seating properly due to massive amounts of carbon deposits (ya know those blower cars run a little rich!).  So I'm fired up about getting her back together and experiencing some improvement in HP.  (Yes, I will program the rev limiter too!)

I can't remember if I mentioned this last time, but I'm back home in Sioux Falls, SD.  My 'tour of duty' is over... no more moves for me!  Oh, and the tranny has been rebuilt again - by a guy who knows his stuff.  Nice firm shifts (but not obnoxious) and should get more than 5 summers out of it.  :-)  Of course those dyno runs didn't help the last one!

Here's where I'm hoping to get some input... while my dad and I were disassembling the engine, we saw that the header gaskets had some sort of red sealant on them.  Since the headers never leaked, I'd like to use some good stuff when I reassemble it.  Any recommendations?  What can I slather these new gaskets with to improve my odds that they won't leak?  Any suggestions are welcome... thank you!

I need to browse the site and check in with how things are going around here, but that will have to be a different day.  Hope you are well and thanks again!

lukedukem

as far as that header gasket stuff. i used this Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker as recomended by Ron and it works good. don't forget about the wet bolts when you put the headers back on too, they will need some of this goop on them too.i believe i put this stuff on and tightened the bolts a little past hand tight, kinda snug, then after i let it dry i torqued them down real good. then run it to heat them up and recheck.

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Dino

Welcome back! 

I use the ultra copper for a lot of things but never needed them for headers once Ron recommended Percy's dead soft gaskets.  My header was fairly warped and I had no problem at all to make a nice seal.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

firefighter3931

Hey B&B....welcome back. I've missed seeing that sweet 70 of yours.  :coolgleamA:

Get a set of the Percy's dead soft aluminum multi-layer gaskets....they are the best out there and can be re-used many times. I've been using the same set of gaskets for several years with 2 different motors. Those gaskets have been off and on a dozen times and still seal up great  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1974dodgecharger

wow firefighter i have the percy also, but folks told me once you use it once you can only use it for the same motor since the metal is collapses to that specific motor, but good to know you can use it on multiple motors

fy469rtse

Never heard about these gaskets , nothing over here, ? Where do you buy them from, high temp sealant will also work installed like earlier in this thread, yes if steel heads don't forget to seal wet passage studs

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Black and Blown

thanks guys!  I'd have responded sooner but I was waiting for an email that said "hey someone replied to your post".  Guess I must have changed my settings back in the day.