News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!! updated with moving video(not long)

Started by Chargen69, August 17, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargen69

well my car has been apart for a long time, too long.  What was going to be a simple repaint, turned into a full blow, expensive restoration on my 69.  Car was painted a while ago, but we finally have the mechanics almost 100%.  

Well, today, we put gas in the tank, and fired that thing up.  For those of you who had your car, drove it whenever you wanted for years, and then took it apart to do this, only to have it apart for longer than you think, well you know the feeling of joy i have right now.  It is amazing to hear it run again, except better.  My car was a 85,000 mile Arizona car that was a really dry car, roof not included.  It had one repaint on it, which somebody painted without a dryer, so it was about a 13 footer at best.  Well, I had it in my mind to do a general, bought the rereleased wheels from AE.  Car was all stock 383 car, down to the tiny little exhaust pipes on it.  Well today, it came alive on the headman elite headers with 3" stainless steel exhaust and 3" mufflers with turndowns, and i cant tell you how relieved and happy I am.

This car was and is really special to me.  what we have done will have people saying that i am copying The Colonel.  I dont know if he is still on the site or not, but I did show a picture of the colonel to my buddy who is building this car.  Like i said, i really wanted a general, but common sense took over.  We have atleast one general around town, and i dont think I would want people messing with my car as much as people seem to do.

So i had the wheels and the pushbar, but didnt want to do a general per se, and my only other color choices were blue or BRIGHT yellow.  I had a yellow 69 in a former life, that was bright yellow, and i missed that.  So, i set out on a direction that is very similiar to the colonel.  They are similar in some ways, but completely different in others.  It will be yellow, with a pushbar(maybe) and have new vectors on it.  I havent really been posting anything about my car for a couple of reasons.  1. I dont want to show progress in stages, i want people to see the whole car when it is done.  I didnt really want to get flamed for a colonel clone.

the differences about my car from the colonel.  No black out on the hood scopes, no general roll bar, and no spoiler.

The rundown

New roof skin, front and rear valances
Filled in all holes on the firewall, except wiper motor, booster, speedo and clutch cable.
Vintage air
All other sheet metal was fixed, including a side swipe the entire passenger side quarter.
Rear window channel fixed with hand made patch pieces.
Painless wiring kit
MSD installed under the dash.
Eastwood sound deadener installed everywhere.
All new steering system.
suspension parts and K frame all powder coated
Factory 4 piston brakes pulled off and saved, replaced everything with reman. parts
Electric fuel pump
new gas tank
AC compressor slung low
Wires under the hood are as hidden as possible.
AC and heater lines run down the frame and hidden
spark plug wires hidden ( they come off of the distributor and go straight down )

The paint is a Lunar Yellow with crushed white pearl in it.
4 layers of sealer
4 coats of color
4 coats of clear.

Bumble bee stripe painted on the car, under the clear.

Motor body color, with valve covers you'll have to see when the car is done and I setup all the pictures

and a few other things pictures will reveal.

I am sorry, let me be the first to say,  :RedXShoot:  "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!"

But i wanted to get all that off of my chest before I started posting photos of the car.  Plus, as much is done, there is still a million things to finish.  So, I will update this thread with pictures when the car is done.  (maybe a sneak peak with an engine shot, I'll get one of those up in a week or two)

So, mad respect for The Colonel.  I didnt do a clone, but they are similar.  I hope he sees this when mine is finished.  I was just happy about it running and had to share now.

Baldwinvette77

Chargen69

Baldwinvette77

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

68X426

The Colonel has been gone a long time. Only 2 posts in the last 3 1/2 years, last one in May 2012.

Here's his Charger (so the thread isn't completely worthless  :slap: ).  :nana:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Chargen69

well, it aint been a couple weeks like i hoped, but here is a link to crappy cell phone video of my charger running! :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiMbf6r03Q4&feature=youtu.be

Baldwinvette77

ChargerSG

Congrats to get it running, still want to see some pictures... :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Chargen69

before

after(well, not totally done, but a lot closer)

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1974dodgecharger

doh, does the air breather and pcv both go into the air filter housing?  I have my pcv into the filter housing like yours, but my air breather does not have a connection like yours does.

tiki

Congrats on doing a great job! What a huge difference I :2thumbs: cant wait to get mine painted but i cant make up my mind what color,and by looking at your pics you must of spent a fortune and countless hours,in the end its all worth it.What a great investment!

Chargen69

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 10, 2013, 02:26:04 AM
doh, does the air breather and pcv both go into the air filter housing?  I have my pcv into the filter housing like yours, but my air breather does not have a connection like yours does.

my pcv does not go into the air cleaner, it goes straight to vacuum behind the carb

Chargen69

Quote from: tiki on November 10, 2013, 08:11:57 AM
Congrats on doing a great job! What a huge difference I :2thumbs: cant wait to get mine painted but i cant make up my mind what color,and by looking at your pics you must of spent a fortune and countless hours,in the end its all worth it.What a great investment!

you are right about the money, i quit adding it up.  the paint materials alone are almost 2,000

bull

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JB400

6spd68

Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

67440chrg

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

MrSnicks

Can you provide more pictures of the spark plug wire routing?  I like that it doesn't cross over the engine/intake.  I see you have them running through holders/tubes too. That's VERY slick.  And in the video I believe I see some custom heater hose routing?

More pics please.

Patrick