News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to Forum

Started by spiderjason, August 16, 2013, 04:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderjason

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself...  My name is Jason and I am close to Houston, TX...  Just a little about myself I am a huge fan of Muscle cars!!!   What I like about myself is Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Pontiac, OLDS, Buick and Mercury all make some car I like from the Muscle car ERA...  There is at least one car made by every manufacturer I like from the Muscle car ERA...   I am selling one of my classic cars to make room for a new project...   I decided to add the 1969 Charger to my list of new project....  Honestly, I don't know much about Dodge so I am really new to learning...  But who doesn't love the General Lee!!!!  Not sure if honestly a 1969 Charger will realistically be in my price range...  Even though I am looking for a project I want a car that is whole and pretty much complete...  The car might need an engine and trans rebuild but hoping it will run when I get it...  The car probably will need some body work and paint but not be a huge rust bucket...  Probably looking to Spend $6,000-$10,000...

One question I have and I am pretty sure the answer is no...  Is there any car made by Dodge or plymouth any division of Dodge that someone can make a 69 charger clone?  For instance the Lemans people clone a GTO or Another is people take a Cutlass and clone a 442...  One more Newbie question is would a 69 charger have its own code to show a true Charger in the Vin number?

Look forward to learning!!!

Thanks 

Budnicks

Welcome to DC .com, I too am a big fan of many of the cars/makes models from the muscle car era & others too, But Mopar is my 1st Love thou....  not a big fan of all the DOH clones  :brickwall: , I loved the series, not all the multitudes of clones  :slap: spawned from it thou, some are very well done examples :Twocents: Not to offend any Clone owner  :pity: ... good luck & have fun, enjoy the site & members
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

hemi68charger

Jason..

You can't clone something into a Charger ( well, I guess you could given a bottomless pit of money )......... A Charger is a model line, like the 442 is made from the Cutlass model, the Z-28 from the Camaro, the Road Runner from the Belvedere...... You can make a  Charger R/T, 500 or Daytona out of a base Charger.......... Now, you could go to the EXTREME and attempt to do major plastic surgery on something like a Coronet and make it a Charger-clone. But, that would involve swapping out basically every body panel.. ( the floor, trunk and firewall you could possibly save ).....

Soooooooooo, in a nutshell, if you want a '69 Charger, you just need to find one........

I too am in the Houston area, Cypress to be exact.......... Welcome to the Board...

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Baldwinvette77

Welcome!! and realistically no you cant really clone a charger with another car, you would need another 68-70 b-body hardtop, and then you would need to replace every single exterior panel and trim piece  :shruggy: so you really do need to find a charger, Goodluck  :cheers:

JB400

Welcome to the group :cheers:  Like has been mentioned, the charger line is unique in its own way.  It shares the same platform with the Coronets, and Plymouth Satellite type cars (GTX, Roadrunner, Satellite, and Belvedere), but has some unique pieces on it to differentiate if from those models.  Luckily, Chargers are still out there. :2thumbs:  Go get you one.

As for who doesn't like the General?  Well, you'll find quite a few here.  But, there are some here, like myself that do enjoy it.  Build what you like, and don't let anyone else tell you different.

Best of luck getting one :2thumbs: :cheers:

Baldwinvette77

Yeah just dont take it too hard, actually take it as a compliment that you'll be ticking off purists with your fine General lee clone  :coolgleamA: i would  :2thumbs:

68X426

Yeah, what they said.

Welcome.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

spiderjason

Thanks for the reply's and info!!!  I couldn't think of any car that could be used as a clone for a 69 charger but figured I would ask the experts...  Of course there could be a rare case of someone that had money and talent...  Well I am going to keep my eye out for a 69 Charger...  Never owned a mopar so this would be my first...  Well I had a 90 dodge Daytona and I won't count that one bc it wasn't a great car...  So just going to forget I owned that one...

Oh as far as a general lee clone..  I'm not going to clone a general lee...  I think I would like mine blue with that stripe over the trunk and back side...  With that said I think the general lee clones look great and glad to see people do it!!!!   

Does $6,000 to $10,000 seem pretty realistic to buy what I call a daily driver...  So, I will explain what my definition of a daily driver is...  Pretty much a car that car be driven and used for commutes... But everything would for the most part need some type of attention...  Interior might need carpet, seats and other interior pieces redone...  would probably need some body work with rust in the usually places of classic cars...  Need new paint...   Motor and trans runs but will probably need a rebuild with a couple of years...  I have been looking on craigslist and ebay...  Seems like this is a possibility but just started looking and don't see too many yet...

Thanks again for help...

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: spiderjason on August 16, 2013, 05:31:48 PM
Thanks for the reply's and info!!!  I couldn't think of any car that could be used as a clone for a 69 charger but figured I would ask the experts...  Of course there could be a rare case of someone that had money and talent...  Well I am going to keep my eye out for a 69 Charger...  Never owned a mopar so this would be my first...  Well I had a 90 dodge Daytona and I won't count that one bc it wasn't a great car...  So just going to forget I owned that one...

Oh as far as a general lee clone..  I'm not going to clone a general lee...  I think I would like mine blue with that stripe over the trunk and back side...  With that said I think the general lee clones look great and glad to see people do it!!!!   

Does $6,000 to $10,000 seem pretty realistic to buy what I call a daily driver...  So, I will explain what my definition of a daily driver is...  Pretty much a car that car be driven and used for commutes... But everything would for the most part need some type of attention...  Interior might need carpet, seats and other interior pieces redone...  would probably need some body work with rust in the usually places of classic cars...  Need new paint...   Motor and trans runs but will probably need a rebuild with a couple of years...  I have been looking on craigslist and ebay...  Seems like this is a possibility but just started looking and don't see too many yet...

Thanks again for help...

Thats a fairly realistic budget for a drivder, but expect a base 318 car, with some bondo over rust in addition to the problems you already expect  :cheers:

check out the for sale section here, ansd people list cars that are for sale almost daily

Finn

I think 10-15 grand would be a closer estimate for a daily driver 3rd gen charger. But here is to you finding the deal you're looking for!! :cheers: Welcome to the board.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

JB400

I wouldn't expect a driver in that type of budget.  You might if your lucky, but I doubt it.  You should be able to find a fairly complete project though.  That'll let you tinker with it and get it running.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Cooter

Thanks again for help...
First off welcome.
Second I wouldn't be looking to do up onr of these cars for that kind of money unless you can skip a lot of steps in the quality of the resto.
Third. I wouldn't be looking to daily drive a
Charger of the vintage you describe. You thought that 1990 car was a troublesome car, you might just want to check out some the threads in the engine/trans section about frustrating running problems.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

70moparman

You can clone a 69 charger with a 68 charger or a 70 charger, by changing grills, marker lights & tail lights (if its a 68), front bumper (if its a 70), and I would not attempt to clone it out of any other car.  As far as your price range, you will find out the 69 Charger is the most expensive charger you can try to buy, not even this mopar man has been able to land one yet...  Save up your pennies!   :Twocents:  Welcome to the dodgecharger forum!  :cheers:

Ghoste

chargerboy69

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 16, 2013, 05:51:46 PM
I wouldn't expect a driver in that type of budget.  You might if your lucky, but I doubt it.  You should be able to find a fairly complete project though.  That'll let you tinker with it and get it running.

I agree. . you may need to raise the budget a little.  I watch the prices fairly closely and I believe they are starting to climb back up a bit. I am guessing you may need closer to $15 or more for a decent driver.

Welcome to the board.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

DadsCharger00

Quote from: chargerboy69 on August 16, 2013, 09:07:16 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 16, 2013, 05:51:46 PM

I agree. . you may need to raise the budget a little.  I watch the prices fairly closely and I believe they are starting to climb back up a bit. I am guessing you may need closer to $15 or more for a decent driver.

Welcome to the board.

And tim is the guy to watch. Got my driver for 15, 500. This guy helped me find her. No bondo. New panels. And runs like a raped ape.  Now about a show car....when tim do I get to buy yours!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

polywideblock

welcome    :cheers:   think 15 000 k  is a more realistic price for a driver

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

spiderjason

Thanks for all the input...  I am going to keep my eye out for a 69 Charger!!!! 

JB400

74Rallye

You can get a real nice 3rd gen in that price range. Of course it's not a 68, but you won't spend the next 3 years and lot's of $$$ just to make it a driver with paint.

Daytona R/T SE

Does $6,000 to $10,000 seem pretty realistic to buy what I call a daily driver... 

$6000 will get you a rough, rusted incomplete project car.

$10,000 will get you that same exact rough, rusted incomplete project car, troweled full of bondo with an Earl Scheib paint job squirted all over it.

duanesterrr

$10,000 is going to be a stretch for a driver (as said multiple times).

I have even gave up at 20k for what I want.  I was told to buy the most car you can afford to start with as it will eliminate a lot of headaches (and costs).

Best of luck with your search.