News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

electric fuel pump wireup help

Started by vick79, August 14, 2013, 05:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vick79

Hi guys,

i picked up a low pressure electric fuel pump to fix some vapor locking issues on my 440. Airtex ES8016 (2.5-4psi). Mechanical fuel pump is left in place.

what is the best mounting location? Do i need to add an oil pressure switch? or can i safely wire this directly to iginition power?

'70 Charger RT

Rolling_Thunder

you can hook it directly to ign hot - run an inline fuse though. The other wire can be grounded to the nearest frame rail.   No oil pressure gauge needed IMO.  You can section it in to the rubber line between the shock mountings over the axle. I ran a similar set up on a 66 VIP and never had a problem. You can also run it on a frame rail forward of the axle if you're more comfortable with that location.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

vick79

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 14, 2013, 09:07:17 PM
you can hook it directly to ign hot - run an inline fuse though. The other wire can be grounded to the nearest frame rail.   No oil pressure gauge needed IMO.  You can section it in to the rubber line between the shock mountings over the axle. I ran a similar set up on a 66 VIP and never had a problem. You can also run it on a frame rail forward of the axle if you're more comfortable with that location.

good info. working on it tonight so this will help. Would i be correct to assume the car will still run fine with the mechanical pump even if the electric pump isnt hooked up to a power source yet?
'70 Charger RT

John_Kunkel

Some electric pumps allow the engine-mounted pump to pull through (free flow) and some don't. Not sure if the Airtex does.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Fred

I've got a Facet Solid State Cubed Pump 12v   ACA FFP310 which I use as a priming pump only. It's a pull through free flow pump.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

vick79

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 15, 2013, 03:27:50 PM

Some electric pumps allow the engine-mounted pump to pull through (free flow) and some don't. Not sure if the Airtex does.

I did some testing driving around with pump unhooked, looks like this airtex model allows flow thru, operation was unaffected. I might add a switch so this pump is only used to prime the system before starting.

I mounted my bracket on the exhaust hangar bolt, cut the tank side fuel line and inserted this pump input directly to the tank. Airtex recommended the output side be angled a bit higher than inlet.

Where exactly  did you guys hook this into for +12V? I could not find a ignition +12V source on the starter relay so  I wired it into the ballast resistor, along with the electric choke. Its powered only on Acc2 and when engine is running. Will that work long term?

'70 Charger RT

Fred

I've got mine hooked up to the battery in the fuse box along with an in line fuse and switch. Woks great.

vick79

Quote from: Fred on August 15, 2013, 08:22:25 PM
I've got mine hooked up to the battery in the fuse box along with an in line fuse and switch. Woks great.

that sounds like a much better idea
'70 Charger RT

Fred

Quote from: vick79 on August 15, 2013, 08:31:38 PM
Quote from: Fred on August 15, 2013, 08:22:25 PM

that sounds like a much better idea

:2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

not a good idea run any device straight from the batt on cars with ammeter
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

myk

How loud is your fuel pump?  Mine's louder than the 440 it's feeding...

Fred

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 16, 2013, 07:00:53 AM

It's only a priming pump Nacho and only runs for about 30 seconds. Then it's switched off.
Another option would be to run it off accessories from the fuse box.

Fred

Quote from: myk on August 16, 2013, 06:46:06 PM
How loud is your fuel pump?  Mine's louder than the 440 it's feeding...

Mine sounds like a jack hammer  :smilielol:  But it only runs for 30 seconds.
Just kidding!  :icon_smile_big:

myk

Hmm..what's with the "priming only" setups?  I never had any trouble priming with a mechanical pump...

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Fred on August 16, 2013, 08:10:10 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 16, 2013, 07:00:53 AM

It's only a priming pump Nacho and only runs for about 30 seconds. Then it's switched off.
Another option would be to run it off accessories from the fuse box.

oh, ok...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

vick79

Quote from: myk on August 16, 2013, 06:46:06 PM
How loud is your fuel pump?  Mine's louder than the 440 it's feeding...

very quiet since its low psi pump, just a slight sound with engine off.

need to prime the lines because im having vapor lock issues when its run for a while and parked on a hot day here in 100F socal
'70 Charger RT