News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

THE BEST GETS BETTER!

Started by ECS, August 14, 2013, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECS

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on August 15, 2013, 07:03:58 PM
Geno, How about the overspray? Are you gonna have Vance mist some on to match the t-bars?

It would probably be a wasted step in the process.  Notice how even the heavier paint on the Exhaust Manifolds has almost completely burned off.  The light overstay would have burned off of the H Pipe within minuets of the car running.  

After about 10 minuets of running, the Daytona was put back on the lift so I could apply a final coat of RPM.  The pictures I posted of the Exhaust were taken before the car was started.  They don't show that the H Pipe had already started turning a shade of blue about 18" down from the flanges.    
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Charger-Bodie

Really? Wouldn't it Atleast discolor the pipes where the paint burned off?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ECS

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on August 15, 2013, 07:51:18 PM
Really? Wouldn't it Atleast disciple the pipes where the paint burned off?

Keep in mind that Gene's car represented a vehicle where Chrysler replaced the original Engine due to a Warranty claim.  Notice how the Engine Block does not have any paint or "over-spray" on it. The torsion bars would have been exposed to paint when the front nose was originally painted by Creative Industries.  To continue the "Warranty" theme, the vehicle could have had the Exhaust replaced at the time the Engine repair was taking place.  If that be the scenario, the H Pipe would not have been exposed to over-spray.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ECS on August 15, 2013, 08:25:04 PM
Really? Wouldn't it Atleast discolor the pipes where the paint burned off?

Keep in mind that Gene's car represented a vehicle where Chrysler replaced the original Engine due to a Warranty claim.  Notice how the Engine Block does not have any paint or "over-spray" on it. The torsion bars would have been exposed to paint when the front nose was originally painted by Creative Industries.  To continue the "Warranty" theme, the vehicle could have had the Exhaust replaced at the time the Engine repair was taking place.  If that be the scenario, the H Pipe would not have been exposed to over-spray.

I can see that in theory. I was just curious what his plans were in that regard.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

hemigeno

Hey Brian,

Dave's first reply to your question on overspray pretty much summarizes the situation.  Any Creative Industries overspray on the H-pipe would have burned off for sure, especially in that high-heat section of pipe right below the exhaust manifold.  The exhaust heat could indeed have left an oxidized burn mark on the pipe where the paint droplets were, but that's a visual characteristic I would prefer to avoid since it would look much more like the onset of rust pitting or a defect in the exhaust tube than the remnants of deliberate overspray.  9 out of 10 people would come to the wrong conclusion with what they would see, so that's something I think I'll just avoid entirely.  Dave would probably prefer that I do it that way also, since both the quality of his exhaust components and the effectiveness of RPM as a protectant might be wrongly questioned if I tried to get too fancy.

Your thought process is correct though.  If there's overspray on nearby components (like torsion bars) from Creative Industries' conversion process, there ought to be some on the adjacent H-pipe tube.  I will add, however, that for whatever reason the camera flash will accentuate all this overspray by a whole lot - so in person, the overspray on surrounding components is not as pronounced as it appears in the posted photographs.

:cheers:

maxwellwedge

I think he asked about torsion bar overspray.... never found any on my cars......sway bar - yes, as well as other suspension parts in that area.

Of course - all this varied car by car....depending on how the paint guy(s) was feeling. Did he have a sore back that day...etc.  :lol:

Oh and PS

Dave - thanks for your work on exhaust....it was sorely needed - Great Job! Already bought some stuff through FB - going to be buying more. The only problem is.....my NOS stuff is worth less - lol.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on August 16, 2013, 09:26:41 AM
Of course - all this varied car by car....depending on how the paint guy(s) was feeling. Did he have a sore back that day...etc.  :lol:

Right, as usual, Mr. B!

:cheers:

maxwellwedge

Geno - Can you tell my wife that?  :icon_smile_big:

hemigeno

maxwellwedge

Ummmm...............probably......................................not  :lol:

Charger-Bodie

Thanks for the response Gene, that makes perfect sense to me as well. I was just curious which way you were going to go with it.

That said,the exhaust looks stellar Dave. Another nice part brought to us by you and your guys. I have used your carpet too. AWESOME stuff to say the least.

One more thing. How did you guys get Billy Idol to help with the install?

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

pettybird

The system sounds great...is that how loud these cars were new, or did you take out some packing?  I've ridden in some cars with their original mufflers and I don't remember them having that much of a voice.  Is it quieter in person?  That's not saying I mind the sound at all...it's what a muscle car SHOULD sound like!

The pipes themselves look terrible, which is a huge compliment considering your goal   :lol:

hemigeno

Quote from: pettybird on August 16, 2013, 04:40:43 PM
The system sounds great...is that how loud these cars were new, or did you take out some packing?  I've ridden in some cars with their original mufflers and I don't remember them having that much of a voice.  Is it quieter in person?  That's not saying I mind the sound at all...it's what a muscle car SHOULD sound like!

Hi Doug, :wave:

After we fired the car up, several of us were remarking how it sounded rather mean when standing behind the car, but it was MUCH quieter in the passenger compartment or when standing forward of the rear bumper.  As far as the mufflers themselves go, Dave & his team went to great lengths to replicate every little nuance of the OE mufflers.  Every weep hole (including the internal ones you can't see), baffle and perforation is just like the originals they patterned their repros after, and even the metal thickness is the same.  They weigh much more than both the YearOne repros I had and some other repros Dave had sitting in his shop, but the ECS mufflers weigh about (if not) the same as my NOS pieces.  Maybe even a little heavier to be honest.

The pipes themselves look terrible, which is a huge compliment considering your goal   :lol:

:haha: :cheers:

odcics2

Quote from: ECS on August 15, 2013, 08:25:04 PM
Really? Wouldn't it Atleast disciple the pipes where the paint burned off?

I'd believe that Chrysler would replace the bare minimum. Was the short block replaced?  Or was it the long block?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemigeno

Quote from: odcics2 on August 18, 2013, 02:12:39 PM
I'd believe that Chrysler would replace the bare minimum. Was the short block replaced?  Or was it the long block?

Short block only.  Both of the cylinder heads have May '69 cast dates and still had remnants of orange paint on 'em when they were first cleaned up.

resq302

Quote from: hemigeno on August 16, 2013, 04:52:53 PM
The system sounds great...is that how loud these cars were new, or did you take out some packing?  I've ridden in some cars with their original mufflers and I don't remember them having that much of a voice.  Is it quieter in person?  That's not saying I mind the sound at all...it's what a muscle car SHOULD sound like!

Hi Doug, :wave:

After we fired the car up, several of us were remarking how it sounded rather mean when standing behind the car, but it was MUCH quieter in the passenger compartment or when standing forward of the rear bumper.  As far as the mufflers themselves go, Dave & his team went to great lengths to replicate every little nuance of the OE mufflers.  Every weep hole (including the internal ones you can't see), baffle and perforation is just like the originals they patterned their repros after, and even the metal thickness is the same.  They weigh much more than both the YearOne repros I had and some other repros Dave had sitting in his shop, but the ECS mufflers weigh about (if not) the same as my NOS pieces.  Maybe even a little heavier to be honest.

The pipes themselves look terrible, which is a huge compliment considering your goal   :lol:

:haha: :cheers:

Gene,

Fantastic car as always. Who would have thought it could get any better!  I have to admit, our 69 GTX sounds pretty much the same as your car as it has the exact same system that yours does.  The clearance is absolutely amazing on it and is identical to the factory H pipe that was removed.  Dave and his company certainly should be proud of the work that they have done bringing a factory OE part back to the public to use on their cars to get one step closer to the way they were originally!

As far as the rattle in the mufflers, I know exactly what you mean!  I just replaced the "other guys" mufflers on my charger and the sound also changed (besides the rattle that is now gone!)  I can't wait for Dave to make up the head pipes so I have the proper clearance and flattened out areas where the trans crossmember is.  I can't start to explain how much that irritates me that is not on the set that I have now from the competitor.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ECS

Quote from: resq302 on August 19, 2013, 11:01:13 PM
As far as the rattle in the mufflers, I know exactly what you mean!  I just replaced the "other guys" mufflers on my charger and the sound also changed (besides the rattle that is now gone!)  I can't wait for Dave to make up the head pipes so I have the proper clearance and flattened out areas where the trans crossmember is.  I can't start to explain how much that irritates me that is not on the set that I have now from the competitor.

Hi Brian.  Let's not forget that ECS was referred to as a "sticker" manufacturer as an attempt to disparage our ability to manufacture "accurate" Chrysler Exhaust Systems.  What "they" never took into consideration was that we have the same demand for perfection regardless of the diversified products that we manufacture.  No matter what the task, it HAS to be right!  Simply concentrating on one particular line does not guarantee that the attention to detail will be correctly represented.  I have had a few individuals/Customers (such as yourself) that understands that sentiment.  I appreciate being able to work with guys like you and Gene and welcome your honest feedback.  The Head-pipes are coming soon!

resq302

Again, a HUGE thank you Dave, for what you and your company bring to the table for hobbyists like us!  I can't wait to improve our Challenger and Charger to a higher standard now!  Im sure that we will be ordering plenty more things from you in the future the further a long we get in the resto process with the GTX also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Quote from: ECS on August 20, 2013, 02:21:34 AM
Quote from: resq302 on August 19, 2013, 11:01:13 PM

Hi Brian.  Let's not forget that ECS was referred to as a "sticker" manufacturer as an attempt to disparage our ability to manufacture "accurate" Chrysler Exhaust Systems. 

What? You make stickers too??  :lol:

Can't wait for the pipes...including the over axle pipes.  :2thumbs: