News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's with the tiny Mopar oil filters?

Started by MaximRecoil, August 11, 2013, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

MO-090 (05281090) (link)

Is this the only current Mopar oil filter for e.g. a 318? Why is it so short? It is only about 3½" long, much shorter than oil filters for most any V8 used to be.

You used to be able to buy these cool-looking normal-size oil filters (link), but it says:

QuoteMOPAR PERFORMANCE HAS CANCELLED THIS FILTER IT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE, THE ONLY FILTER AVAILABLE IS P4452890

The P4452890 looks like a glorified MO-090 (link); 3-times the price, yet still "vertically challenged".

If Mopar doesn't have any normal-size oil filters anymore, I think I'll start using Motorcraft FL-1A filters. They don't look like the runt of the litter, and they are cheaper to boot.

myk

Eh, use what works for you, forget the brand name.  What does the name "Mopar" mean these days anyway?  Made in China?  Probably...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on August 12, 2013, 12:36:21 AM
Eh, use what works for you, forget the brand name.  What does the name "Mopar" mean these days anyway?  Made in China?  Probably...

The Mopar MO-090 that I have here says "Made in USA" on the box it comes in, and on the filter itself. Champion Laboratories in Illinois makes them, or at least makes some of them. I just wish it was normal size.

c00nhunterjoe

I use the factory filters. Motorcraft is good stuff. 2nd choice is wix.

70redbee

I use the wix filter or Napa Gold made by Wix.

myk

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 12, 2013, 02:07:54 AM

The Mopar MO-090 that I have here says "Made in USA" on the box it comes in, and on the filter itself. Champion Laboratories in Illinois makes them, or at least makes some of them. I just wish it was normal size.

A lot of good that does you if it doesn't work for you.  Again, use what works...

Cooter

Most times, like Lifters, and many engine electrical parts, they are all made on one assembly line and one set goes one way, the other goes the other way to be labeled and boxed.

Wanna see a small oil filter, try some of the imports. I've seen bigger filters on my lawnmower. And I STILL see cars come in the shop with no oil in 'em, or hasen't been changed in about 9K miles.

Had a Trailblazer[ Brand X] come in with VVT problems. Found out with 200K on the clock, owner decides he's gonna start running Syn. oil in it and read where he could get 15K mile oil changes out of Amsoil. ok, but even the oil rep will tell you you STILL have to change the filter every 3K miles. You can run the oil, but change filter. The filter had been on the engine when it came in, about 8K miles. I pulled the VVT solenoid out and sure nuff, it was clogged with debris.

Swapped the valve for new dealer item, swapped his filter, and topped off oil. Haven't seen it since. doesn't really matter the size oil filter, only that it gets changed. ALL of 'em will go into bypass if clogged.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on August 13, 2013, 04:14:38 AM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 12, 2013, 02:07:54 AM
Eh, use what works for you, forget the brand name.  What does the name "Mopar" mean these days anyway?  Made in China?  Probably...

A lot of good that does you if it doesn't work for you.  Again, use what works...

I replied specifically to your "Made in China?  Probably..." comment (they're not made in China). I didn't say anything that suggests it would do any good if it doesn't work. Additionally, I never said that it doesn't work in the first place. The Mopar MO-090 does in fact work, but a bigger filter is better, all else being equal (holds more oil, and a larger filter element can trap more "dirt"). Not drastically better, but better nonetheless.

I like Mopar oil filters, and I also generally like to use OEM stuff whenever I can. I was hoping someone would say something along the lines of, "Mopar does make a normal size oil filter that will fit your 318. Here's the part number ..."

Does anyone know if the Mopar oil filter intended for a Cummins Diesel Dodge Ram (MO-285) will fit? I'd guess that it has different threads and/or diameter.

MrSnicks

I'll check when I get home, but I think the 1960-1970 ford 302/351 windsor family of engines will work and have a larger capacity.

Patrick

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: MrSnicks on August 15, 2013, 11:37:51 AM
I'll check when I get home, but I think the 1960-1970 ford 302/351 windsor family of engines will work and have a larger capacity.

Patrick

That would be the motorcraft fl-1a

MrSnicks

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 15, 2013, 05:30:53 PM
Quote from: MrSnicks on August 15, 2013, 11:37:51 AM

Patrick

That would be the motorcraft fl-1a

Give the man a prize!  That is the filter, and they do work. I have pics but they are too large to upload... It screws right on to my 90 degree adapter.

Patrick