News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is this "X" on the pumpkin & other marks and #s on my 1973 rr 8 3/4

Started by rav440, August 11, 2013, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

the 1st looks like 3-156 or 8 ???
the second looks like J ??? 2
the third i guess is a X

i would like to put these back on the read end housing but i would also like them to be correct #s , letters , color and script .

thanks RANDY
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

rav440

does the "X" have something to do with the gearing or sure grip ?

John_Kunkel

Paint daubs on the third member usually ID the ratio and Sure-Grip, the stenciled numbers are the part number and the brake drum size.

The X or circled X is one of many inspector's marks.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rav440

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 13, 2013, 03:56:05 PM

Paint daubs on the third member usually ID the ratio and Sure-Grip, the stenciled numbers are the part number and the brake drum size.

The X or circled X is one of many inspector's marks.

thanks JOHN  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

John_Kunkel

rav440

great info JOHN , thank you once again . so i take it the dots were put on the right oe left side on the carrier pinion barrel does it matter what side ? do you know about how big the dotos were and how the were applied ? any photos of them would be great .

rhanks RANDY

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 14, 2013, 12:23:37 PM

Here's what the various paint daubs mean:

John_Kunkel

When it comes to paint daubs I've seen them located just about everywhere on the carrier and from the size of a nickel to billboard size....depends on who was doing it.