News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does my Rebuilt Carb bog???

Started by Speedfreak, August 09, 2013, 03:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedfreak

Hi,

Picked up the correct carb off eBay, 4618S.   Seller said needed accelerator pump.  No problem, was going to rebuild it anyway.  Took it apart, acc pump did not look too bad, one float was off, everything else OK.   I put it together and am having this problem.   What am I missing.  This is not the first Carter I have rebuilt, not much to it.   Any ideas???

Tha

bakerhillpins

Did you just replace components or did you also make all the adjustments to the linkages, choke, etc?

When is the last time you checked/set your timing?

Could you provide a bit more of a description about the problem, when it occurs, what the engine does, if you work the throttle differently does it behave differently?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Speedfreak

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 09, 2013, 04:16:27 PM
Did you just replace components or did you also make all the adjustments to the linkages, choke, etc?

When is the last time you checked/set your timing?

Could you provide a bit more of a description about the problem, when it occurs, what the engine does, if you work the throttle differently does it behave differently?

Adjusted everything to specs, all clearances.   Car was running fine with the wrong carb, ,Edelbrock.   Timing has not been changed, 5 degrees as per specs.

Idles OK, when you hit it, bogs, almost to stalling, then recovers and drives fine.  Have to feather the gas to avoid this.   This obviously was the problem the seller had and assumed it was the accelerator pump, which I would have though so too.  But it isn't.  What other carb problem can cause this???

Cooter

Not saying this is YOUR problem, but you gotta watch those Evil-Bay carbs.  A buddy bought a set of Ebay AFBs for his '58 Plymouth. I went through them, cleaned 'em, blasted 'em, etc. Gottem back together and on the dyno, one would just shut down the engine from Starvation. Had a horrible stumble and recover thing going on.

Come to find out, the "Previous owner/tuner/hack" decided ALL AFB Venturies will interchange as they are the same carbs. WRONG. I found parts and pieces from at least three different size/makes of AFB carb in one of 'em. and SOME early AFB carbs have a weighted "Flap" in the rear similar to an AVS [Air Valve Secondary] carb. This was completely missing as well. Causing a massive over flooding [with air] condition upon stabbing it.

I'd be looking into the main metering circuit. IE: Venturies. Something sounds as if it's clogged causing the accl. pump to get enough fuel to engine.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bakerhillpins

I'm with Cooter on this one. Take a look at the innards and see if it's setup correctly. Here is a link to a set of Carter manuals that will tell you what parts should be on your carb from the factory. Pay particular attention to the #s on the venturis and what side they belong in.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Carter/Chrysler/1965-1979/

Also make sure the PO didn't put in the wrong jets or metering rods as the stock AVS rods/jets are made of unobtainioum now. I had to buy a trashed carb at Carlisle this year to get replacement parts for my 4640sa. See below:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,102682.msg1214096.html#msg1214096

If you find you need to move to AFB metering/jets make sure you match the thread specs on the jets and use the proper rod caps. There is more info in the link above.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bakerhillpins

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

resq302

I just printed all of it out at work.   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto