News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thread size of clock knob nut

Started by Fred, August 08, 2013, 10:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Does anyone know the thread size of the clock knob nut? I'm in the process of making a new nut but I need the thread size.
Help, as always, would be much appreciated.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Hello?

If you prick me, do I not bleed?
If you tickle me, do I not laugh?
If you poison me, do I not die?

I am one of you..................so answer me!   :icon_smile_big:

JB400

I'll see what I can do tomorrow.  But, this might be where tomorrow never comes :lol:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 09, 2013, 11:18:26 PM
I'll see what I can do tomorrow.  But, this might be where tomorrow never comes :lol:

How about if I take it back to yesterday?

Fred

Several reasons Nacho.
I like tinkering with my lathe and I've already made the knob in s/s so now I just need the thread size to make the nut. I know it's a very fine thread and will more than likely be able to sort it out  but I was hoping someone might know the answer and be able to help.

See...........

JB400

I'm sorry, I've been swamped with work. :icon_smile_dissapprove:  I had one sunny day today and 3 weeks of nothing but rain.  The grass was just a little tall and sort of a priority.  I'll check mine tomorrow again.

Fred

JB400

Of course, I have a 69.  But, after going to the optometrist, I believe the thread size is 1.7 mm.  1.6 mm screws into the set screw, but is just a little loose, but it will tighten up, at least on mine. :2thumbs:

No, I didn't have my eyes checked, but the optometrist is the only one in town with screws that small.

ws23rt

The threaded shaft on one of my clocks appears to be   1-72 tpi.
I too have trouble with the eyes looking at that  :o
It could be the nearest metric size but I don't have taps or dies to verify.
Are you making a nut for locking or threading the inside of the knob you made?

Fred

Yes, I've made the nut for locking the knob and that is what I need the thread size for.  Make sense?

Thanks guys.

Fred

Ok Guys. I've got it worked out.
The correct tap size is M1.6 x 0.35

bull

Metric? :o I don't think so. There isn't a metric bolt or screw on these things that I've ever seen. Were the clocks made in Italy?

ws23rt

I verified that two of my clocks have a 1-72 thread. A M1.6 screw slips inside the nut. A .35mm pitch works out to 72.6 TPI so that might work.
Maybe some clocks are metric :shruggy:

Fred

Quote from: bull on August 13, 2013, 02:14:56 PM
Metric? :o I don't think so. There isn't a metric bolt or screw on these things that I've ever seen. Were the clocks made in Italy?

I fully agree with you. Metric threads in American cars is unheard of. But strangely, it's the closest I could come up with for the best fit. Perhaps I need to keep at it.

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on August 13, 2013, 03:30:24 PM
I verified that two of my clocks have a 1-72 thread. A M1.6 screw slips inside the nut. A .35mm pitch works out to 72.6 TPI so that might work.

Yes, the M1.6 is just a tad to small.  I've checked again and I think the 1-72 will do the trick. Thanks very much for your input.   :2thumbs:

Not mine.  :rofl:

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on August 13, 2013, 08:42:25 PM

Yes, the M1.6 is just a tad to small.  I've checked again and I think the 1-72 will do the trick. Thanks very much for your input.   :2thumbs:

I was reluctant to post back because measuring these things is not as straight forward/easy as one would think. (a thread will not measure the same as a tap and in the small sizes that difference can be enough to miss).
My method was by exclusion and guessing. :2thumbs: 

bull

Quote from: Fred on August 13, 2013, 08:35:25 PM

I fully agree with you. Metric threads in American cars is unheard of.

Well, it used to be. Now it's usually a frustrating mix of SAE and metric. :rotz: It'd be nice if they'd pick one and stick to it.

Fred

Quote from: bull on August 13, 2013, 09:39:41 PM

Well, it used to be. Now it's usually a frustrating mix of SAE and metric. :rotz: It'd be nice if they'd pick one and stick to it.

Exactly. That's why I'm having such a hard time. Wouldn't it be great if things could be done without getting a headache first.

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on August 13, 2013, 09:11:47 PM
Quote from: Fred on August 13, 2013, 08:42:25 PM

I was reluctant to post back because measuring these things is not as straight forward/easy as one would think. (a thread will not measure the same as a tap and in the small sizes that difference can be enough to miss).
My method was by exclusion and guessing. :2thumbs: 
Don't I know it.  The thing too is that the old post where the nut goes on is so worn its impossible to count the threads and figure out the diametre.

ws23rt

Quote from: bull on August 13, 2013, 09:39:41 PM

That has been a problem for years. The old folks wont let go of the old inch/fraction thing. As a machinist sort we use thousands of an in. for convenience. It's base 10 like metric.   (Who uses stuff like 37/128ths?)
I am thankful that there are 25.4001 MM per in. cause it is easy to remember. I use it all the time.

MrSnicks

I have a 71 Charger and a NOS clock with NOS knob and screw.  I could send you my NOS barrel screw on the condition you send it back AND make me one.  :D

Patrick

Fred

Quote from: MrSnicks on August 15, 2013, 11:45:34 AM
I have a 71 Charger and a NOS clock with NOS knob and screw.  I could send you my NOS barrel screw on the condition you send it back AND make me one.  :D

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I've got it sorted out now. I've got the original barrel screw to copy from. What I needed was the tap size for that thread which I've now got. Picked it up this morning from an engineering supplier.
So my problem is solved.
If you want me to make you one, PM me.

Fred

Thanks for your input ws23rt. 1-72 is spot on.   :2thumbs:

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on August 15, 2013, 07:43:51 PM

Thanks for your input ws23rt. 1-72 is spot on.   :2thumbs:

I am glad this got worked out Fred. I learned a few things about measuring these small threads doing this. Kind of like sudoku puzzles. The answer by exclusion confirms the test.
Hope you don't break many taps :icon_smile_wink: