News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Repro '68 - '70 Charger Fuel Filler Tubes?

Started by bill440rt, August 08, 2013, 07:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

They are usually rusted where they pass thru the trunk floor, & commonly pitted which makes for a bad seal.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charge69

I did not want to go to the effort to find a new-original zinc plated one and ended up just painting (satin-aluminum color with flat clear sealer) mine. It ended up nice but, not original looking.  It is the original fuel filler neck to the car so, if I wanted to pull it and have it re-zinc plated, I could but, I don't think it is worth the effort right now. it sealed perfectly to the gas tank and has no pitting, just looked a little "dim" and had a rusty patina on some areas.

The new repros look very nice but, definitey not original.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 09, 2013, 01:34:06 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on August 08, 2013, 11:43:10 AM
I wonder if they even tried one on a car......Like the repro valve covers, fuel sending units, bad vapor separators...etc.

Hope they fit alright for you guys.

I buy all my repro parts from great quality don't see these being different.....great to deal with.

I am not slighting the dealer. Most of these dealers are not the manufacturer. My point was that a lot....and I do mean a lot of reproduction stuff gets screwed up when the prototypes go to the orient and manufactured incorrectly. If they even tried the stuff on a few cars before selling it - they would quickly figure out the stuff is not right. I can name dozens of parts that are incorrect/non-fitting/non-working.

On another note - I have had great success tumbling original tubes. If they aren't all pitted, they come up looking great. You need two things for this to be successful. A decent original tube, and access to a tumbler that is big enough for the piece to fit in. This could be tough - as the Charger tube is very long.

PlainfieldCharger

Just got mine today :icon_smile_big: Looks well made, looks awesome has the vent line too. Maybe a little to shiney compared to the original but I think it is good to install it after driving season. ;)

Charger-Bodie

Recieved and installed mine today. Fits awesome. It is too shiney,but Thats fine on this car. Concourse maybe not ,but a nice part at a nice price.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on August 13, 2013, 05:45:13 PM
Recieved and installed mine today. Fits awesome. It is too shiney,but Thats fine on this car. Concourse maybe not ,but a nice part at a nice price.

Cool. :coolgleamA:

I just added it to my shopping list ;)

bill440rt

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on August 13, 2013, 05:45:13 PM

:woohoo:

Brian, is it chrome plated? Bright zinc?
Hard to tell from the pic.
I dunno, perhaps some scotch brite or flattening clear would tone it down a bit?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Its Chromed, But it actually doesnt look bad. It doesnt look correct,but on a rally nice car its great. Plus, I think if you wanted one for a points car you could strip the chrome off and have it tinned or leaded or whatever the process really consists of.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on August 13, 2013, 05:45:13 PM

I just got my new filler tube today.

Did you have any problems with the vent tube where it goes through the floor?

At first look, it appears to be bent wrong?

Did you have to "tweak" it?

Here's mine:

Charger-Bodie

I actually just used a new one that came in a line kit I had. It is bent wrong though.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 13, 2014, 05:43:19 PM
I actually just used a new one that came in a line kit I had. It is bent wrong though.

Thanks.

I thought it looked wrong. ::)

I do have a tubing bender. :scratchchin:

I bet when I bend it that chrome will peel off like a bad toupe'  :brickwall:

Lord Warlock

I hadn't really planned on buying a replacement for mine, although the original was rusty/scaled on the flat bar at the bottom that fit inside the tank,  but mine has the original locking gas cap stuck in the top, it'd cost almost as much as buying the new one than taking the original to a locksmith to remove the gas cap.  Replacing the floor, tank, fuel lines etc, so probably makes sense to get a new tube as well.  Can always worry about the old gas cap later.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

fy469rtse

Quote from: Fred on August 08, 2013, 05:42:01 PM
I think the s/s gas tank is great but OMG! shipping to Australia is $984.50.   :eek2:  I'll pass.
fred contact russel at just mustangs, he will get it put in one of he's containers, if you really wanted one , theres always a way to get big items over to here

Lord Warlock

Ordered a new one today, looked at the old one and decided it just wasn't worth cleaning it.  Will the chrome cause an issue fitting into the grommet to the tank? 

where do you get a tubing bender at? Need to bend the fuel line replacement i got previously.  Waiting for the new trunk floor panels which should arrive today via fedex. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 14, 2014, 01:56:58 PM
Ordered a new one today, looked at the old one and decided it just wasn't worth cleaning it.  Will the chrome cause an issue fitting into the grommet to the tank?  

where do you get a tubing bender at? Need to bend the fuel line replacement i got previously.  Waiting for the new trunk floor panels which should arrive today via fedex.  

I got my cheapie tubing bender at NAPA.

It's made for brake and fuel lines.

Any auto parts store should have them. :Twocents:

squeakfinder

Anybody filled there tank after installing one of these? Wondering how they worked out. Just discovered my original tube is leaking under the undercoating a couple inches out of the tank. Of course I had to fill the tank to find this out.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: squeakfinder on March 24, 2014, 02:31:45 PM

Anybody filled there tank after installing one of these? Wondering how they worked out. Just discovered my original tube is leaking under the undercoating a couple inches out of the tank. Of course I had to fill the tank to find this out.

I have and it works great.

squeakfinder

Good to know, thanks. I've temporarily fixed the problem by going for a drive.
But, looks like I'll be ordering one.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....