News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Please clairify something for me

Started by steves66, February 27, 2006, 05:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steves66

How many splines on the pump output shaft does a 1966 727 transmission supposed to have? I posted last week about my J&W converter not going on. Well the problem is I have a 19 spline output shaft and they sent me a 23 spline converter!!! Can someone clear this up for me, what years has how many splines?

Headrope

I've got a '66 with a '66 727 in it. I ended up taking it to a transmission shop and having a new output shaft installed so that I could use aftermarket torque converters.
I've been told the '66 is somewhat unique in that it has a 19 spline shaft.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

John_Kunkel

'66 is the last year of the 19-spline input shaft, '67 and later non-lockup converters have 24 splines (lockups have 23 splines).

Very few performance converters are available for the 19-spline shaft, the best thing to do is convert the trans to 24-spline.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

Yep, sounds like you've got the wrong converter Steve  :P Call Turbo Action and talk to Paul....he might have something for you in a 19 spline.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs