News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Knocking while Driving - Wheel Bearing I am guessing.

Started by carsnguitars, August 05, 2013, 12:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsnguitars

Decide to take the car out yesterday (first time this year), and noticed a knocking sound that apears to be in the front wheel area, as it changed with the speed of the car, I am figuring the wheel is the culprit.
I am thinking a wheel bearing? I checked lug nuts already.
I going to pull both fronts and check them, but is there something else I should look at as well since I have it apart?
I know it is not drive shaft, u joint, or from the engine.

WHITE AND RED 69

Check the lower control arm bushings. Worn out ones will cause all kinds of noises.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

DC_1

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 05, 2013, 01:40:18 PM
Check the lower control arm bushings. Worn out ones will cause all kinds of noises.

I concur.....wheel bearing typically is more of a hum or grinding sound. Ball joint or worn out bushing will give you a clunk when driving

Cooter

Don't overlook the obvious here, check the wheel lug nuts.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

DC_1

Quote from: Cooter on August 06, 2013, 05:30:32 AM
Don't overlook the obvious here, check the wheel lug nuts.

He said he already checked those

Dino

I don't think wheel bearings knock but as mentioned grind, and you would feel it in the steering soon as it degrades.

Raise the front and use a small rubber mallet to tap on some components, see if anything sounds funny.  You can also check the tighness of the nuts and bolts while you're under there.  

You may be able to see the issue by simply spinning the wheel.

If you ignore the noise, does the car drive strange in any way or does it seem fine?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

carsnguitars

Thanks guys..It drives fine other than the clunk with the rotation of the wheel. The spound speeds up/down with the speed of the car so I was figuring the wheel.
I had heard a loose bearing could off center the rotor might be cause.
I been working late so far, but hope to pull wheels today or this weekend.

I appreciate all the insight. I am going to try and double check everything while I am under there.
Of course waht alwasy happens, you find something and then a bushing here or there looks like replaced, next thing you know the project
builds to the whole front end compnents being replaced.

DC_1

Hmm.....Clunk gets more frequent with speed????... What about a drive shaft universal? You sure the noise is coming from the wheel?

carsnguitars

Well today got off early and did the following:
Pulled rotors and re-greased and checked bearings and shaft.
Greased all nipples on the front
Double checked all bolts in area
Put wheels back on and tightened er up

Took it out for a drive and all was quiet as far the knocking noise. Now onto the exhaust leaks!!