News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need help! Power steering problem!!

Started by mr70charger440, August 07, 2013, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr70charger440

Okay, i have tried everything.. 70 Charger, i put a new gear box in it, new power steering pump and hoses. When i start the car it cranks the wheel to the left hard, all by itself.... i have tried moving the return hose plate that bolts to the front of the gear box. up, down, left, right and i CANT get it to stop making the wheel move on its own.. i have even moved it around with the car running for some idiotic reason they made this thing adjustable.... is it possible that the valve inside of the little bolt on plate is bad?? i need help bad. thank you!
68' Charger R/T (restored)
70' Charger (In progress)
68' RoadRunner (Backburner)
68 Coronet 440 (Backburner)
68' Dart (Sold)

Dino

Let me get this straight...you start the car and the steering wheel turns left hard and fast?  I have heard of steering wheels doing this, on other cars, but have never seen it myself.  Scary stuff!  :o

So it has been doing this all the time?  And when you replaced the components nothing changed?  How does the steering column and coupler look?  Not saying that's the culprit but I'm a bit lost as to what can cause this.  My first guess would be the chuck but you've replaced it with no change...

I've never removed that plate, can it be serviced?  A stuck valve might explain why the steering wheel goes to one side at startup.  That would mean there's two valves keeping a balance.

I'll take a look in the fsm and see what else can cause this.

Do you have the chance to lift the front wheels off the ground and start it up?  I'm curious to see how fast it turns left without a load and if it makes any noises.

Does it make any noise with the wheels on the ground or is it like an invisible driver quickly turned the wheel?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger490

i think you may have your hoses reversed when you instaled it

ws23rt

You said you tried moving the return hose plate. This plate bolts to the valve body. The valve body is the part to move up or down to center the steering.

The valve body can only move up or down. (It's in a rabbit fit). There are three o rings under the valve body and when the bolts are loosened they will still hold fluid from leaking all over while you move it to find center.
I would note where it is then move it both ways as far as it will go. (Which is not a lot) You should find it is mostly to one end of it's movement and the reason your steering runs to one side.

cudaken

Steering box time. The proportioning valve has failed. I had to replaces the one in my 69 Charger, or was it my 70 Cuda?  :scratchchin: Either way, that is what is causing the problem.

Cuda Ken
I am back

70 sublime

I had a 68 Charger that the steering wheel wanted to turn one way on its own
I just moved the valve body a small amount to get it to stop (can not move too much or wheel goes the other way)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ACUDANUT

Cuda Ken, He did this " I put a new gear box in it, new power steering pump and hoses.".

flyinlow

When you replaced the PS box did it come with a new valve assembly?

cudaken

What can I say, my eyes are not what they used be.  :brickwall:
I am back

ACUDANUT

Mine neither Ken, But you might be right about the proportioning valve. :2thumbs:

mr70charger440

Problem FIXED!! I have been fighting this for weeks. the valve in the return plate was stuck, took another plate assy. off of the roadrunner and that fixed it! Fired it up and it doesnt move on its own. I can also steer it with one finger! LOL Thanks guys for your help and advice!
68' Charger R/T (restored)
70' Charger (In progress)
68' RoadRunner (Backburner)
68 Coronet 440 (Backburner)
68' Dart (Sold)

ws23rt

:2thumbs: It looks like all new stuff doesn't mean all new operation. --- :cheers: Cuda Ken