News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Challenger: Flasher and brake lights problem

Started by hemi68charger, September 06, 2013, 11:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Item:
'71 Challenger  >>> 71 Chargers would be similar.......

Problem:
1. Blowing hazard fuse and when I apply the brake lights, the left side of the taillamps acts funny. When the lights are on, then the brakes applied, the left most bulb goes out and when the brake is released, the light comes back on.....

I just put in a brand new turn signal switch. All body harnesses are new as well.

2. I removed driver's-most socket and placed it on the trunk floor ( the trunk mat is in, so it isn't touching metal ). Now, when I turn on the lights, the bulb turns out... If the socket needed the taillamp housing to ground, then why would the bulb turn on if it wasn't installed? I'm going to scuff all the taillamp housing openings and check for ground.

3. I am still having grounding/feedback problems with the turn-signal and 4-way circuit. If I disconnect the forward and rear body connections at the firewall and driver's kick panel, will the circuit still work in such that the flashers and dash lights will work? Or, do I have to have EVERYTHING connected in order for the turn-signal and 4-way flasher to work? I am trying to isolate the circuit to narrow down the possible problem.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

The culprit: me...........

I had the pigtail connections on the side mark lights and the front parking lights reversed...... Explains EVERYTHING !!!

Glad I took a break from it all and took a deep breath and went back to the FSM and worked my way from the front to the rear... Luckily, I started at the "broken" end first and saved a LOT of frustration....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection