News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a way to find out what year my 318 engine was made?

Started by MaximRecoil, August 04, 2013, 02:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

The block and valve covers are blue (or at least they were; not much blue paint remains), and the intake manifold is an EGR version (which was introduced in 1972 I believe). Here's a picture of its air cleaner:

The number on the driver's side of the block appears to be 2536030 318•J2:

According to this site, the "2536030" part indicates the years 1967 through 1975, which isn't very helpful.

I'd like to know what year it was made because I'd like to know if it has hardened exhaust valve seats from the factory (which I believe were introduced in 1974).

A383Wing

there's a date on the side of block somewhere....maybe the other side

John_Kunkel

The engine serial number stamped in the front of the block just below the drivers side head will tell the build date.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 04, 2013, 05:16:55 PM

The engine serial number stamped in the front of the block just below the drivers side head will tell the build date.

By "front side", do you mean the actual front side of the block, i.e., the side where the fan and water pump are mounted, or do you mean the side of the block where the 2536030 318•J2 casting number is, but more toward the front of the car? I looked today at the actual front side of the block beneath the driver's side head, and I saw nothing there.

A383Wing

flat pad just under drivers cylinder head in front of block

there will be a "cast in date" on the side of block somewhere