News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Update on my dad

Started by bull, February 27, 2006, 04:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I just wanted to let you guys know that my dad passed away on Sunday morning at 3:25 am. Rather than try explaining all of his ailments I'll just say he died from complications involving emphysema. He and mom were in a hospital near Phoenix, AZ and he died shortly after being transported to a hospace facility a few miles away. Even though his health had been getting steadily worse over the past few years it really took a sharp nosedive over the last couple months to the point where he could no longer function and retain an acceptable oxygen level without a mask.

My brother and I went to see him on Feb. 11 and we could tell he wasn't going to make it much longer. I'm glad we went when we did because although he was in bad shape he was still very lucent and talkative. The doctors think he may have had a mini stroke last Friday night because he could no longer respond to my mom or the doctors Saturday morning. His breathing became very erratic Saturday night and by Sunday morning he had passed away.

My mom has some loose ends to tie up there in Phoenix before coming back as she was left with a pickup and RV to deal with. My brother and I will likely be flying down there in the weeks to come to help her with that and any other personal effects once she decides her next move. She has help from several friends and family members at the moment but we will go as soon as she requests it. We have been in contact with her every day for the past few weeks helping her through the process.

We are thankful that dad passed very peacefully and is now in a better place considering all the complications and suffering he endured these last two weeks. Please pray for our family, especially mom, while we sort things out.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a 1995 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually pickup and/or a 35' 5th wheel with two slide outs, they're both going to be up for sale before too long. I'm not trying to make this into a cheesy for sale ad but I just don't want my mom to have to deal with that kind of petty BS right now. If we could sell them quick she'd have a loss less headaches. The pickup needs a head gasket. We were quoted $1,200 to repair it.

PS--smoking kills. I've seen it.

NHCharger

Bull, I am very sorry to hear about your Dad.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

dart3404

Very sorry to hear about that Bull.

Shakey

Hi Bull,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Father.  Although I am 37 I still have yet to deal with a loss like that.  Sorry for what you are going through.  Be strong for your Mother and your Children.  Hang in there.

Sincerely,
Shakey

ITSA426

TruckDriver

I'm sorry about your dad Bull :pity:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BB1

My condolences to you and your family.  :angel:
Delete my profile

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

nh_mopar_fan

My sympathies on your loss.

Mopar440+6

My condolences to you and your family Bull.
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

dd44068

My condolences Bull to you and your family

triple_green

Hi Curtis,

Sorry to hear about this.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can for your mom.

I'll pray for peace for you and your family.

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

skip68

Sorry to hear that Bull.  I hope you stay close to your mother as she will need you.  Prayers for your family.   Chuck...............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

volk68

Sorry for your loss Bull.  I will be praying for you and your family.

Doc74

Brock Samson

Sorry.
You and your family are in my prayers.

Plumcrazy

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bull

Thanks for all your kind comments. I'm doing pretty good with it at the moment. I really feel sorry for everyone in our family, not just because of his death but because of the missed opportunities to have a close family. My dad was a hardass and had a lot of anger issues that were taken out on us when we were growing up. He also enjoyed pretending he was a simpleton. He would always pretend he had no knowledge of current events or complex ideas but it was a ruse to protect himself from getting close to anyone. If you always pretend you can't discuss deep topics no one will bother bringing up any confrontational emotion such as love or regret. Don't get me wrong, he enjoyed confrontations, as long as he wasn't on the receiving end of the fallout, but they never had anything to do with things that really mattered.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to fall into the "too much information" category but since there's some anonymity here I feel like I can say some things I wouldn't say to the people that knew him. It helps to get it off my chest. As soon as I found out he was going down hill so fast I wrote a letter to him and said some things that I needed to say in a positive slant before he died. I obviously had some things to say because I banged out a 600-word letter in 30 minutes and faxed it to my mom so she could read it to him. He died less than 24 hours later. Rather than approach my words from an accusing position I just wrote the letter assuming he has regrets as a father and forgave him for those shortcomings. I also said I had regrets for not reaching out to him more. I know he was listening too because his terminal illness had broken down all the walls he had built around himself over the past 70 years. I guess when it comes right down to it even the toughest man needs the love of his family. I know I do. I just hope I can learn from his mistakes and be a better (much better) father than he was.

Telvis

Well said. God Bless you and your family. I have lost both of my parents. I understand what you are going through.

bad1032

Yes it is rough when you  loose a parent or both, Keep you head up and your in our prayers, For those who have your parents cherish every minute you can with them.

694spdRT

My sympathies on the loss of your dad.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

ChargerAndy

Curtis,
    From our house to yours, you are in our prayers. It will get easier with time, I lost my Dad last June. It's good that you saw him and wrote that letter and I bet it made his passing more peaceful.  God Bless! Andy

PS. I tried to pm you in return about that other stuff, but your in-box is full. About those things I sold ya, feel free to resell if it helps your Charger effort. I will send roller as soon as I find it, N/C, just pm me your address again...... when ever you're ready. Andy

Lowprofile

You and your family are in my prayers, brother. Take care.   :engel016:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Khyron

I'm Sorry for you loss man :(

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.