News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Johnson Lifters

Started by 71green go, July 26, 2013, 09:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: Musicman on August 06, 2013, 10:37:36 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on August 06, 2013, 09:20:08 AM
It's been 2 years now...I will phone Lunati and see if they now have in stock a better Hydraulic Lifter for the BB Mopar application.

2 years ago when I pushed on the Phone with Lunati as to the forever N/A status of the supposedly better "Micro-Trol" Lifter for the BB Mopars, when pushed...he actually admitted no such animal exists, or ever did exist in their stock for the Mopar application, even though the part # was shown.

Well, I can tell you that they do indeed exist... in fact; I have a set in one of my engines. I have that particular engine partially taken down at the moment; maybe I'll pop one out and dissect it.  :scratchchin:

That would be great....and if you don't mind, "when" it was purchased or they became available ?
Just for my own info as to who's buying what, and when from Eaton, Delphi, etc., etc. Lifter Co. and re-boxing, as they all do.
Could you take photos ?

The Micro-Trol 71977... NON- "PR" versions I saw were virtually the same internal valving as the "PR" version...the only notable difference being the heavier Snap Ring to treat the Symptom of Valvetrain instability @ rpm instead of curing the disease.

No, I have NOT Dyno tested that version....I already had enough aversion to that Internal Valving present NOT to bother.

Did you Dyno your Engine ?
I would love to see the power curve above 4500 rpm ?.... If it is that Internal Valving ? Strangely, some DO run quiet...and some even DO run clean...but high inconsistency...and still power left on the table untapped in my experience vrs other Lifters.

NOT a slag on LUNATI Cam profiles by me...just the opposite, IMO, some of the BEST PROFILES out there.... bar none !   
I've just seen too many problems on the Dyno with those Lifters where-ever they are coming from ?
and,
I have found more power using other Lifters on the Lunati Cam Profiles.

Thanks in advance for any imput, photos, you can offer.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

2Luke2

I have a brand new set of lifters I ordered from Johnsons from the sticky. I've never taken a lifter apart though. Is it fairly safe to take apart and put back together without damaging it? I would like to contribute if I can.

Challenger340

That would be great if  you are so inclined ?
every bit of info to timelines....continuity with current product would help.

Yes,
it is safe to pull the top snap ring and dis-assemble....just apply pressure to the plunger(spring loaded) with a screwdriver, so it is not pressing against the snap ring before you remove it, then release the pressure and allow it to rise.
Extra pair of hands for added safety if it is your first time might be handy ? and eyes if something "fly's"...which it shouldn't...just cup your free hand over top just in case.

Thanks
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Musicman

I haven't popped one of mine out for inspection yet, but I can tell you that the Micro-Trols I have were purchased in 2009.