News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 build plans

Started by GpB311, August 01, 2013, 06:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GpB311

Been talking with some guys I know locally and on another forum about my engine build for a 73 Charger Ive been putting together and this is where Im at so far.  Ill take any opinions you guys have to offer:

Block- 318 LA bored .020" over, .030" if needed
Crankshaft- Stock most likely, clean and grind as necessary
Rods- Scat I-Beam rods.   A bit overkill maybe, but I like the assurance.
Pistons- Keith Black KB167 hyperuetectic with matching moly ring set
Heads- High swirl 318(302 casting) heads w/ 3 angle valve job, port, and polish. 1.80" intake/1.60" exhaust
Cam- Comp Cam XE268H. Ill probably buy the kit they offer with it too.(Springs, lifters, timing kit, etc)
Intake Manifold- Weiland action plus, dual plane
Carb- Edelbrock 650CFM Thundr carb
Exhaust- Havent decided just yet. I have to meet California exhaust laws, but still want some noise and power

Im thinking 3.55 gear in the back if I can find a tranny with overdrive, otherwise maybe 3.23. I do mostly street driving, but I want to be able to handle the freeways for trips out to the desert and mountains.

GpB311

I assumed it should be taken with a grain of salt, but this is what CamQuest is showing me with approx. this set up and large tube headers.

384HP @ 6000
378TQ @ 4500

JB400

If a 318 is all you have to work with, I'd step up and install a stroker crank, and make a 347.  Or, you could go get a 360 and spend similar amount of money and have a little more hp and torque.

1974dodgecharger

Or find a used k member and install a rebuilt 440.

chargd72

Quote from: GpB311 on August 01, 2013, 06:30:48 PM
Been talking with some guys I know locally and on another forum about my engine build for a 73 Charger Ive been putting together and this is where Im at so far.  Ill take any opinions you guys have to offer:

Block- 318 LA bored .020" over, .030" if needed
Crankshaft- Stock most likely, clean and grind as necessary
Rods- Scat I-Beam rods.   A bit overkill maybe, but I like the assurance.
Pistons- Keith Black KB167 hyperuetectic with matching moly ring set
Heads- High swirl 318(302 casting) heads w/ 3 angle valve job, port, and polish. 1.80" intake/1.60" exhaust
Cam- Comp Cam XE268H. Ill probably buy the kit they offer with it too.(Springs, lifters, timing kit, etc)
Intake Manifold- Weiland action plus, dual plane
Carb- Edelbrock 650CFM Thundr carb
Exhaust- Havent decided just yet. I have to meet California exhaust laws, but still want some noise and power

Im thinking 3.55 gear in the back if I can find a tranny with overdrive, otherwise maybe 3.23. I do mostly street driving, but I want to be able to handle the freeways for trips out to the desert and mountains.

I have a build not too far from this.  Have the exact same heads with enlarged valves 1.88/1.60 and ported runners.  But I have an RPM Air Gap manifold.  Once I was finished with the build I was immediately looking for some more "GO" power.  Now I'm building a 360 stroker.  A much better platform to build from.

These cars are heavy.  I think you will be under powered.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Dino

How much will you be driving this car?  Every day?  Twice a week?  Once in a blue moon?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 318, but I'd still drop in something a little closer to your goal at the stock level or leave the 318 a bit more stock.  Have you thought about an efi 360 out of a truck?

Again, do what you want but you're gonna spend as much money as the rest of us but not make the power.  On a street car it's all about torque and a heavy Charger needs lots of it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

GpB311

Id like to look into 360 builds, see what other guys have done and what results theyve gotten. The 318 is just where Ive done the most homework thus far I guess.  I now have at least a loose idea of what a 318 with a moderate build can offer, so Ill probably start checking out other options and what I can get from them.

Im not going to sell my current DD since its in good shape and a super economic 4 cylinder sedan, but I do plan on driving my Charger almost daily, depending on where Im going and the weather. I might take it to the track once for the experience once its put together, but unless something changes, I probably wont take it there again. Im just looking for a car to work on and enjoy over the years...

How serious is it work-wise and such to go from a stock 318 to an efi 360?  Im also looking to find a transmission with overdrive, so would finding a matching engine and tranny already together in a truck be an option as well?

GpB311

Also, do you happen to have any youtube videos of your Charger uploaded or anything along those lines, chargd72?

GpB311

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 02, 2013, 11:50:20 AM
If a 318 is all you have to work with, I'd step up and install a stroker crank, and make a 347.  Or, you could go get a 360 and spend similar amount of money and have a little more hp and torque.

Ive checked out some of the hughes engines stroker kits to make the 318 into a 390.  Its an option Im keeping on the table, but I havent really looked into anything in a lot of detail yet.  I might do it if I found a later block with the factory roller cam set up.

cudaken

GP, in another post you said this.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,103261.0.html

Im looking for a third gen to put the engine into, but financially Im in a better place to start putting things together for the engine as I save for the car.
:shruggy:

So did you find a Charger? If you are still daydream that is fine, I do that as well. I liked the ordinal plan you where going with.  :coolgleamA:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/viewall.html

My self, I am a Big Block guy. Now someone else needs to step in here, I have no idea what the cost is between a LA motor or a BB motor? :shruggy: But, if you are going to spend the money for a stroker kit, I would all so look for BB's! If you find a 318 3rd gen, with the right mounts a BB will fit in the engine bay.

My  :Twocents: worth and good luck no matter which way you go.

Cuda Ken

I am back

cowboy4x4n

i have spoken to hughes on the same subject u have. I was torn between a 318 or 390 build and for the cost of pistons and rods I found it better to go with alittle more cash and do the 390 stroker.  hughes recommended the 390 rather than going 360 or 408 stating the diff between a 390 and 408 hp and tq wasn't that much difference.  they said the torque and power curve along with power to weight difference between big and small block would be fun.

Challenger340

As is said....
"you can spend money until the Cows come home"....strokers....etc., etc......
my point being....
IMO, looks like a pretty decent, and very cost effective 318 build that may surprise many.

Camquest "output".... is only as good as the "imput" ....but I would NOT be surprised at all to see the mouse kick ~355hp.....an awefully fun driver even in the big Car.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

GpB311

Quote from: cudaken on August 02, 2013, 04:48:17 PM
GP, in another post you said this.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,103261.0.html

Im looking for a third gen to put the engine into, but financially Im in a better place to start putting things together for the engine as I save for the car.
:shruggy:

So did you find a Charger? If you are still daydream that is fine, I do that as well. I liked the ordinal plan you where going with.  :coolgleamA:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/viewall.html

My self, I am a Big Block guy. Now someone else needs to step in here, I have no idea what the cost is between a LA motor or a BB motor? :shruggy: But, if you are going to spend the money for a stroker kit, I would all so look for BB's! If you find a 318 3rd gen, with the right mounts a BB will fit in the engine bay.

My  :Twocents: worth and good luck no matter which way you go.

Cuda Ken

Haha, yea, still just day dreaming and trying to put my game plan together.

When I was first beginning this and asking some car guys I know about it, I was given some line about "big blocks = big costs," so I guess I let that sort of talk me out of that path before I even started on it.  After looking around a little, I see many of the parts are a little more expensive, but not absurdly so or anything.  Its an option Im keeping open, but so far the 318 is the only engine Ive done a lot of looking into. 

GpB311

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on August 02, 2013, 05:01:57 PM
i have spoken to hughes on the same subject u have. I was torn between a 318 or 390 build and for the cost of pistons and rods I found it better to go with alittle more cash and do the 390 stroker.  hughes recommended the 390 rather than going 360 or 408 stating the diff between a 390 and 408 hp and tq wasn't that much difference.  they said the torque and power curve along with power to weight difference between big and small block would be fun.

Its a good chunk of change to invest in order to get the kit, but its def something ive added to my list Im keeping of options I have for this engine. Im trying to not get too ahead of myself since I dont even have it yet, but I like the idea of the extra displacement if offers as a single kit.

GpB311

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 03, 2013, 12:48:12 PM
As is said....
"you can spend money until the Cows come home"....strokers....etc., etc......
my point being....
IMO, looks like a pretty decent, and very cost effective 318 build that may surprise many.

Camquest "output".... is only as good as the "imput" ....but I would NOT be surprised at all to see the mouse kick ~355hp.....an awefully fun driver even in the big Car.

I think my biggest problem is Ive only seen third gen chargers, there was luckily one at a car show I went to not long ago, but Ive yet to really take a ride in one. For all I know, I might hop behind a stock 318 and be completely happy and just want to invest in keeping things running smooth...although I have to admit, who doesnt almost always want a little more power? haha

GpB311

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 02, 2013, 11:50:20 AM

Im still just starting to look at the 360, but would anything else be required as far as buying a stroker crank and installing it for a little more displacement?

1BAD68

Build the 390 stroker, I did and it's awesome.

I put my own kit together and I think spent around 1500, but that was 6 years ago.

Anyway it's a blast driving it and I can really feel the difference in the lighter weight up front vs. a 440, it handles better.

I still have the stock 318 heads installed. There's a set of Magnums on my workbench that need to get finished up but as it is, it will fry the tires all I want.

GpB311

Two 318 - 390 stroker kits ive checked out are the one from HUghes Engines and the one from RPM Machine.

Hughes- $1999
Scat 4" cast crank, KB forged dish pistons, scat I beam rods, Clevite premium main and rod bearing set, precision race balanced

RPM MAchine- $1515 with certain options
4" nodular cast crank, I beam rods, forged dish top pistons, H series bearings, plasma rings, internally balanced.

One thing I noticed is RPM machine lists the compression for these pistons with certain combustion chamber sizes.  With what theyve listed, and the 68-72cc size listed with the heads I was thinking of getting, the compression seems like it might be low. Should I be looking at flat top pistons instead? Also, Id need to think about a different cam then as well, right?