News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a 440 Lunati Cam work in a 383?

Started by DadsCharger00, July 31, 2013, 12:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DadsCharger00

As the subject suggests I found a new Lunati cam for a 440 new with lifters never used, hydraulic 507 lift, lobe lift .33,k adv 285 dur .050 235. (that's what the add states). Guy wants 200$ for it. Would it work on my 383? Still learning all this motor stuff! 

maxwellwedge

Yes - Cams for 383/440 identical....as far as fit......how it will perform with a lot less cubes depends on your set up.

DadsCharger00

So lets say I purchase that. Rest of the engine is fairly stock.....what would I also need to buy to get it set up properly.  I plan on putting the Tunnel Ram on that I purchased from a member here. 2/600 holly 4 barrel carbs.  I'm basically buying parts to make a nice winter project.  Some of the voices in my head are telling me to just by the stroker kit, and do it all at the same time, but the 2000$ price tag would pry make my other half less then excited! :o

flyinlow

Will work in the engine. May not be a good choice. You will need gaskets for intake, valve covers and timing chain cover. Is it a one bolt or three bolt cam? Proper timing chain set for that cam and I would replace the fuel pump push rod.

The voices in my head would say start with a stroked 383 . A 440.

cudaken

Quote from: DadsCharger00 on July 31, 2013, 01:40:57 PM
So lets say I purchase that. Rest of the engine is fairly stock.....what would I also need to buy to get it set up properly.  I plan on putting the Tunnel Ram on that I purchased from a member here. 2/600 holly 4 barrel carbs.  I'm basically buying parts to make a nice winter project.  Some of the voices in my head are telling me to just by the stroker kit, and do it all at the same time, but the 2000$ price tag would pry make my other half less then excited! :o

Tunnel Ram?, Is it a street engine? They don't make a great street intake, well pretty piss poor. I think most of them power band starts at around 3500 to 4000 RPM's. But they do look cool.

Go 440, stroker depends on budget, nasty heads and 3.91 or steeper.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Cooter

MM magazine did a shoot out on Top performing intakes. Wanna guess which one out performed ALL of the latest single.dual plane intakes for HP and LOW RPM torque? Even out performed my favorite Holley Dominator single four down low (3000-6500) on torque..

Starts with a T and ends with an L.....Oh and had twin fours on it. I can't seem to locate the article on their website right now, but I remember reading about and was floored at how well the Tunnel ram intake did with twin fours.

I say go for it. Worst that can happen is you pull it off for a single four. Besides, a 383 has a shorter stroke than a 350 Chevy. Wind the piss outta it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XH29N0G

See what others say about the particular cam with the 383.  It will depend on the whole set up.  I am not the one to ask about it though.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

firefighter3931

That's way too much cam for a mostly stock 383  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Scaregrabber

That cam would probably be an okay match to the tunnel ram. However you would probably want a 400 block stroked to at least 451 or 470, at least a 3500 stall convertor, 4.10 gears, heads that flow at least as good as Edelbrocks and 10-1 compression. Otherwise you will have a dog on your hands.

Sheldon