News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior & undercarriage resto

Started by hemi-ed, July 29, 2013, 07:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-ed

Last time I started a restoration was over 20 years ago and I am sure that technique has changed since then.  Can anyone recommend redoing the interior floor, under carriage and engine compartment?  My thought would be to sand blast.  But I came across a post where soneome was using some type of stripper.  Has anyone had any luck using a stripper and what are you using for a primer today?  Also, how are the HVLP paint spray system?  I have never used that and understand it is a marked improvement over the old paint spray system which I used and was never really good at it.  If I decide to do my resto, I need to pick someone's brain as to what they recommend using today.

green69rt

I'll give you my take.  Just looking at the amount of surface you're talking about, I would guess that blasting is the way to go for you.  Only other method I know of that would handle a big job is dipping, and that would strip the whole car so maybe not for you.   Only other methods I know of take a lot of manual labor so if your up to it then go, but these are the same methods that have been around for years, sandpaper, stripping wheels of various types, paint stripper, etc. Maybe some newer products that are faster or "improved" but really the same stuff.

Folks have recommended 2 part epoxy primer to me, especially over a lot of bare metal.  Recommendations all over the place, everyone has their preference.

HVLP guns worked great for me, I only put on primer and will have a paint shop do the finish coats, but the gun was super easy to use and didn't seem to put a lot of paint into the air.  You can get some really cheap guns for primer but maybe you'd want something better for a finish coat.

Only advise I have is about using etching primer.    Some people like it, I had a little problem with using it on some spots and regular primer other spots.  Did my body work on top of both then shot a final coat of epoxy and there were some bonding issues.  Maybe it was my fault, just saying.

Dino

Many new things have hit the market in the last 2 decades, but not a lot were worth it.  They keep trying to reinvent the wheel you know?

Stick with the basics so blast it followed by some epoxy primer.  Instead of sand you can now use anything from soda to crushed walnut to aluminum oxide, glass, you name it.  This means you can actually choose how smooth you want the body to be, an option we did not have those many years ago. 

I do not trust dipping at all so I would pass on that one. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi-ed

Thanks for your input guys.  I have used the 2 part epoxy primer 20 years ago and everything I have painted with it still looks good today.  If I decide to do this project it would be like you have done, strip it them get it into primer and let the shop do the rest.  You said that they make a HVLP gun for using primer?  And do these guns allow you to splay upside down? 

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi-ed on July 30, 2013, 09:41:06 AM
Thanks for your input guys.  I have used the 2 part epoxy primer 20 years ago and everything I have painted with it still looks good today.  If I decide to do this project it would be like you have done, strip it them get it into primer and let the shop do the rest.  You said that they make a HVLP gun for using primer?  And do these guns allow you to splay upside down? 

No, the only thing that will do that is a pressure pot setup. These aren't bad as you can adjust pot pressure and fan and put on a lot of stock in one pass. We were painting truck bodies at the time and mine was a 2 quart and they worked great. You probably get a less expensive unit on line or Harbor Freight.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi-ed

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on July 30, 2013, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: hemi-ed on July 30, 2013, 09:41:06 AM

No, the only thing that will do that is a pressure pot setup. These aren't bad as you can adjust pot pressure and fan and put on a lot of stock in one pass. We were painting truck bodies at the time and mine was a 2 quart and they worked great. You probably get a less expensive unit on line or Harbor Freight.

Yes, good old Harbor Freight, I will check them out.